79 lwb stepside bed and frame shorten

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reincarnation83

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
83, 87
Truck Model
C10 Longbed, R10 Shorty
Engine Size
355, 350
Does anyone have any info on where to make the cuts to shorten a longbed stepside body? Any info on this would be a big help.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You would have to shorten it in front of the fenders and then also behind the fenders, you can't just take it all out in one spot. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth to me. Why not just sell the bed and then buy a short bed?

Reincarnation83

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
83, 87
Truck Model
C10 Longbed, R10 Shorty
Engine Size
355, 350
Yeah I know that would be alot easier, but I have a feeling these longbed stepsides are not a top choice of bodys for people to buy haha.. Im up for a challenge anyway so if anyone has the exact measurements of where to cut and how much to cut out from each side of the fenders ill give it a shot.. If no one knows the measurements then I will go to my plan B.. I am pretty sure that a regular longbed body would bolt right on to that frame, if anyone knows if that is true let me know and Ill just go that route for now. Thanks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You would be surprised, there's people out there that like the long stepsides. I'm one of them.

A regular longbed will bolt right on in place of it. The filler opening doesn't even have to be on the correct side because the tanks, brackets, and senders can work on either side of the truck.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
To the right person that bed will be gold if it is in good shape. If I were you I would just rock it. Otherwise run an ad for swap for fleetside OEV.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
To the right person that bed will be gold if it is in good shape. If I were you I would just rock it. Otherwise run an ad for swap for fleetside OEV.

X2!!!! Long bed step sides are on the rare side these days especially in good shape!

Reincarnation83

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
83, 87
Truck Model
C10 Longbed, R10 Shorty
Engine Size
355, 350
Thanks guys Ill list it and see if I get any bites for a possible trade..

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea long bed steps sides I've only seen like 2 or 3 in my life and online only but a guy local has a complete stepside bed long bed for sale.

honestly I think a stepside would be easy to chop down, it's flat on both sides, cut the front and trim the step, then cut the back, then bolt on the fender, leave that area all in tact.

a fleetside bed tapers up in the back making it a real pain and the front is flat and easy. I saw a guy on another forum do a fleetside bed.

I truely think, haven't seen a stepside in person to compare that closely, but I think it'd be tons easier. You can move and redrill the cross sills to make them work as well.

The frame seems pretty easy, flat part behind the cab like 12 or 14 inches there and then move the back crossmember up? and cut off like 4 inches on the back of the frame from what I've seen. it's also on another forum, both on the same one I think.

Reincarnation83

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
83, 87
Truck Model
C10 Longbed, R10 Shorty
Engine Size
355, 350
yea long bed steps sides I've only seen like 2 or 3 in my life and online only but a guy local has a complete stepside bed long bed for sale.

honestly I think a stepside would be easy to chop down, it's flat on both sides, cut the front and trim the step, then cut the back, then bolt on the fender, leave that area all in tact.

a fleetside bed tapers up in the back making it a real pain and the front is flat and easy. I saw a guy on another forum do a fleetside bed.

I truely think, haven't seen a stepside in person to compare that closely, but I think it'd be tons easier. You can move and redrill the cross sills to make them work as well.

The frame seems pretty easy, flat part behind the cab like 12 or 14 inches there and then move the back crossmember up? and cut off like 4 inches on the back of the frame from what I've seen. it's also on another forum, both on the same one I think.

Thanks for the info man!

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh damn, there is a stepside long beds for Squares??? I knew they existed but rare for 67-72 but have never ever seen a long bed stepside for a square. By no means would I butcher that up. I build with it and rock it. That would be cool as hell.

BTW, welcome to GMSB Matt. I was just looking at your album of the burnt truck. I'd like to see a thread with pics telling that story of the reincarnation of the 83 Scottsdale. :grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not a stepside fan at all, but I'd damn sure like to have one of those just for the rarity of it. Got any pics of it on a truck??? I have an almost perfect long bed that is 98% rust free that I'd trade in a heartbeat if you were closer to OKC.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh damn, there is a stepside long beds for Squares??? I knew they existed but rare for 67-72 but have never ever seen a long bed stepside for a square. By no means would I butcher that up. I build with it and rock it. That would be cool as hell.

BTW, welcome to GMSB Matt. I was just looking at your album of the burnt truck. I'd like to see a thread with pics telling that story of the reincarnation of the 83 Scottsdale. :grd:

There seems to be lots of the long steps in Ohio, probably just as many of them as the short steps. A few years ago there was an '80 long step C10 at the local pick-n-pull, it had factory installed bucket seats and console too. Now that was an uncommon truck.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
There is a long stepside here in town where i live. Poor thing is beat to hell but he drives it everywhere. Its a 4x4 too has the factory toolbox on the left side step area

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There is a long stepside here in town where i live. Poor thing is beat to hell but he drives it everywhere. Its a 4x4 too has the factory toolbox on the left side step area

Huh? Factory toolbox on a stepside?! Can you get a pic of it sometime? I really wanna see it!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There seems to be lots of the long steps in Ohio, probably just as many of them as the short steps. A few years ago there was an '80 long step C10 at the local pick-n-pull, it had factory installed bucket seats and console too. Now that was an uncommon truck.

Do me favor if you would Andy. Next time you see one, snag a pic of it for me. I swear, I don't recall EVER seeing one on a square. As said, I don't care for Stepsides, prolly cuz I don't care for shortbeds, but I want a long stepside. Just cuz it's rare. I'd sure trade a good condition fleetside for one of equal condition for someone who don't like it. I probably won't like it either, but I want it cuz it's rare. I've seen plenty of fleetsides, want to be a bit different. :High 5:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes