79 K10 Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zachary

Reaction score
First Name
Zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get some advice on fixing up my K10. Got a 5.7SB, just replaced the Carb with a 600cfm Offroad Quick fuel, New Cam, valve springs (seal and keepers too), new gaskets for everything, new plugs and wires gapped at .050, hot coil with a new distributor, new mechanical fuel pump. Truck ran good for a week and now its spitting black fluid out of the right exhaust pipe and if I turn the truck off from the initial run, it takes god awful forever to start back up; just sits there and cranks. Any idea what those two issues could be?

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get some advice on fixing up my K10. Got a 5.7SB, just replaced the Carb with a 600cfm Offroad Quick fuel, New Cam, valve springs (seal and keepers too), new gaskets for everything, new plugs and wires gapped at .050, hot coil with a new distributor, new mechanical fuel pump. Truck ran good for a week and now its spitting black fluid out of the right exhaust pipe and if I turn the truck off from the initial run, it takes god awful forever to start back up; just sits there and cranks. Any idea what those two issues could be?
Sorry, this is happening to you. Hows the oil look?

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
New parts can be fishy sometimes. You went through the proper cam break in procedure, yes? What about timing? Distributor was nice and tight, and the timing didn’t migrate from where you set it? If it were me, I’d go and and check spark quality (white and snappy are good, yellow is bad) to make sure the new ignition parts are doing their job. So it ran perfect for a week? The filter didn’t pick up any trash, did it? I’d hold off on carb stuff till you can check the spark out. If it doesn’t look like it’s supposed to, I’d suspect that new coil first.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
What's happened here?
Any new news?

Latest posts