73 cheyenne super 10 advice with a terrible engine swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mason ject

Reaction score
First Name
Texasredneck59
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne super 10
Engine Size
350 small block
Ok guys so this is advice i need and any is welcome. I appreciate all of your advice because i cant find anyone who had my set of problems.let me explain. It originally came stock with a 454. The original owner pieced a i wanna say 90s 350. I have had so many little problems though right now my carb boils,and my truck stalls out and overheats. The pump is just a 4 to 7 psi electric gravity fed mr gasket 12 s (im in the middle of ordering a mechanical one) because no matter how i hook it up it always ends up burning up and overheating, my gas boils and my fuel wouldnt come to my inline fuel filter. Its glass so i can see if im getting pressure. I just cut all the fuel lines and bad hose off of the metal stock fuel lines but the metal ones arent very long i use fuel hose. I have an adapter out of the one i had new hose in the tank. (Cause i replaced the fuel sending unit to fix my fuel gauge) And clamp it on the inlet of the gravity pump then the outlet feed it up to my fuel regulator with a return line to my inline fuel filter,glass/stainless.which is right next to my carb i try to keep it away from the engine until i get up to my carb. (Which i believe is a rochester i know its a quadrajet.) Which my over heating problem is also in my engine bay its hot as ****. its boiling the gas in the bowl. And i feel like vacuum has alot to do with it and maybe seals but i dont know all what. I feel like theres alot of problems to be making my engine bay get as hot as it gets. feel like i some choke flap or heat riser. I have the stock exaust manifold. 1973 im not quite sure what year myintake manifold but its 85 or up. I will try to upload pictures. And hopefully yall can tell me where to look for the part number or if you hopefully know it that would be awesome suggestions on what to look at to see if can possibly even help my problems of the gas boiling i have gotten burned distributor wires and been stranded and i have them in spots that shouldnt be hot enough to do that it melts my rubber hose to where its almost glued to whatever its on. Brand new radiator cap on stock with a fan and a shroud that are fine. Sorry it was so long guys i appreciate if you actually reply and help me thank you.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If it's a 90s engine it won't have provisions for a mechanical pump????

Mason ject

Reaction score
First Name
Texasredneck59
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne super 10
Engine Size
350 small block
Than it may be 80's im at work but i will take pictures of it when i get home and maybe you can help me out in figuring out what year everything is. I dont know where to look for the numbers.

Mason ject

Reaction score
First Name
Texasredneck59
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne super 10
Engine Size
350 small block
You must be registered for see images attach

Mason ject

Reaction score
First Name
Texasredneck59
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne super 10
Engine Size
350 small block
Thoes are a few pictures that i have currently. I will be sure to get better ones after work.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
If it's a 90s engine it won't have provisions for a mechanical pump????

Some of the TBI ones do.

That's an 87-up engine, or heads at least.

You can try a carb spacer to help with the fuel boiling, I would suspect the tune up is off if it's getting super hot though. You can also do heat shields on your plug wires to at least save them while you sort out your tune up.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.-Gasket/72...sTAKmbTKZ9Uw8ED7OSsEZUKV7A9nrhEMOWhoCf0jw_wcB

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/71994/10002/-1

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You need to plug that large vacuum port on the front of the carburetor and I would go for one of the thick carb to intake gaskets. They're about a 1/4" thick or so and would help to keep the carb from heating up too much.

Something like this: https://quadrajetparts.com/thick-in....html?osCsid=fa9f2fb7ea9cab290128768a55075cb7

That should at least get you started in the right direction.

Edit: Also, I would look at the timing and make sure that's correct... When I first rebuilt the engine in mine I had it super retarded and the engine wanted to overheat like no other.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes