73 c20 Suspension replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spool

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hello all.

I've been working on my 73 Chevy but now that I started, everything else seems to catch my eye. Or ear for that matter, I'd like to rid myself of the squeaks.

I'm not off-roading; she's a bit too fragile in this moment for that before upgrades. But with the condition of Los Angeles' terrible roads, at times, I feel like I might as well be.

First question is, suspension would certainly ease my ride, but what would you think a general parts/labor cost would be expected if I started shopping around for something "affordable" but not complete junk?

Second question is, would this actually fix the squeaky/shaking I hear when I'm driving around? Vague or ambiguous question, but for the most part, it would lighten the blows right?

Thanks guys.
-Thomas.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Depends where the noise is coming from. Generally if interior parts are loose, suspension work is not going to help much.

Spool

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Front End?

I found the noise is coming from the front right tire.
Took it slowly down an alley to film the noise in action and I'm thinking it may be the shock absorber?

I've uploaded a video for it here :
https://youtu.be/YylZEGn_EnA

Last edited:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Can you make it squeak by pushing up and down on the fender? I'm thinking bushings, or shocks, or springs.

Spool

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've recently taken a grease gun to the bushings to see if it was the ball joints but no luck; still squeaks.

I usually happens on un-even roads and especially when turning/flexing up into a driveway of sorts.

I had a friend look and he suggested the shocks even though the bushings look shot as well. I also had a gut feeling it might be the shocks after filming the video I provided above; the squeaks seem to happen when the shocks are moving. But everything is connected as well right?

I'm thinking I may replace the shock and see if I can alleviate the squeak.
Any thoughts to that approach or recommends on brand/vendor if so?

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I've recently taken a grease gun to the bushings to see if it was the ball joints but no luck; still squeaks.

I usually happens on un-even roads and especially when turning/flexing up into a driveway of sorts.

I had a friend look and he suggested the shocks even though the bushings look shot as well. I also had a gut feeling it might be the shocks after filming the video I provided above; the squeaks seem to happen when the shocks are moving. But everything is connected as well right?

I'm thinking I may replace the shock and see if I can alleviate the squeak.
Any thoughts to that approach or recommends on brand/vendor if so?

That really depends on what you are trying to use the truck for. DD, Weekend Toy, Bad Ass Street/Stripe truck. How much do you want to spend? Monroe, KYB, Edelbrock, No Name brand from what ever parts store. It's up to you, they all have to be made to certain Gov Specs.

All I can say is chance one thing if that don't do it, change the next. At least you'll know what has been changed, and is new. Check you sway bar bushings.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Ball joint

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Body bushings will go a long way to decreasing the amount of squeaks you experience if they've never been replaced before.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I would try shocks. You could take them off and roll down the alley to see if the noise goes away. As far as brand goes many are good just don't cheap out on it. Go with a monroe or gabriel gas charged middle of the price range shock and you will be fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey