70s to 80s cab swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76-77-78

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Ok so here’s the story. Last year I picked up an almost rust free and completely dent free pickup box for my metallic brown 77 gmc k25. The pickup the box came from is a black and grey 83 or 85 I can’t remember anymore but anyway it’s a c10. but my question is do the 80s style cabs bolt up to the 70s frames. if so are there any issues that need to be addressed. and if they don’t an explanation of why would be cool I’m always looking to learn something new. Thanks in advance

Ethan

76-77-78

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Also I’ll try and get pictures tomorrow but it’s dark out at the moment

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I bolted up a 86 cab and bed on a 79 chassis. The frame horns changed in 81 so I had to use a 79 front bumper. Other than that no problem.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And you have to use the correct year frame mount bushings too. That's the only 2 differences. Cab mount bushings and the front frame horns.

76-77-78

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
And you have to use the correct year frame mount bushings too. That's the only 2 differences. Cab mount bushings and the front frame horns.
Ok are there any legal issues I should be concerned about keeping in mind I’m in ND with no smog requirements and no vehicle inspections

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok are there any legal issues I should be concerned about keeping in mind I’m in ND with no smog requirements and no vehicle inspections
You would likely know your state better than most of us. Laws do vary between state. In most cases, what's most important is, that your title VIN matches the Cab VIN and the Cab VIN is not altered or been removed and reattached. Cali is one state that likes to compare the partial frame VIN to the cab VIN. OK does not compare frame VINs. They just inspect the Cab VIN to make sure it's a match to the title and no tampering has taken place and that's it.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In South Dakota, if you combine two (or more) trucks, you are supposed to have the VIN's inspected, and show proof of ownership for the parts. I am getting ready to put a 78 cab on a 80 chassis, luckily I have titles for both, so it should not be a problem.

Is he going to have problems with the trans hump going from a 2WD to a 4WD?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In South Dakota, if you combine two (or more) trucks, you are supposed to have the VIN's inspected, and show proof of ownership for the parts. I am getting ready to put a 78 cab on a 80 chassis, luckily I have titles for both, so it should not be a problem.

Is he going to have problems with the trans hump going from a 2WD to a 4WD?
You're SUPPOSED to do the same in OK too. But here they VOID the VIN's to all the vehicles and RE ISSUE a State ISSUED VIN for that vehicle and then it causes all kinds of problems when you go to get insurance and such because it doesn't come up in the Ins companies system so then they don't want to insure it so it's best to hush up and do your thang.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You're SUPPOSED to do the same in OK too. But here they VOID the VIN's to all the vehicles and RE ISSUE a State ISSUED VIN for that vehicle and then it causes all kinds of problems when you go to get insurance and such because it doesn't come up in the Ins companies system so then they don't want to insure it so it's best to hush up and do your thang.

I've lived here for over 30 years and never had anyone check my VIN numbers, so I am probably just going to use the cab numbers to register it. If anyone ever checks the frame, I have the title for it, so not too worried.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've lived here for over 30 years and never had anyone check my VIN numbers, so I am probably just going to use the cab numbers to register it. If anyone ever checks the frame, I have the title for it, so not too worried.
Exactly !!! That's what's normally done here. So long as the cab VIN doesn't look and had not been altered and matches the clean title, then we go with that. Kinda like my 86 C... uhhh I mean my 84 C20.

76-77-78

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Exactly !!! That's what's normally done here. So long as the cab VIN doesn't look and had not been altered and matches the clean title, then we go with that. Kinda like my 86 C... uhhh I mean my 84 C20.
Ok to make things more complicated I would like to keep my 77 VIN because here in ND after your vehicle is 40 years old you can get special plates that is 10 dollars for the plates and you don’t have to register your vehicle every year but if that wouldn’t be possible I might just have to man up and pay the 63 dollars for a few years

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok to make things more complicated I would like to keep my 77 VIN because here in ND after your vehicle is 40 years old you can get special plates that is 10 dollars for the plates and you don’t have to register your vehicle every year but if that wouldn’t be possible I might just have to man up and pay the 63 dollars for a few years
If you are talking about historical plates, most states historical plates limit how and how often the vehicle can be driven (to and from events, parades, etc.). A lot of people get away with running them but if you run into a cop thats a dick, they can cause you problems.

76-77-78

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
No they are special plates called pioneer plates they have no limit on mileage or anything like that they are a really sweet deal

76-77-78

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Now if I could just figure out how to post up some pictures

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've seen those Pioneer plates, that's cool that they don't put restrictions on them.

Now if I could just figure out how to post up some pictures
Just click on the middle button 'upload a file' on the bottom of the wndow when posting. It will ask for the location of the pic, mine always goes to my pic files. Then just click on the pics you want to upload.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115