700R4 TV Cable leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban, K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Well it's pooling around the pressure ports on my transmission. That's why I believe it is the tv cable leaking because that's the thing farthest back from the bellhousing if I am correct.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
well I don't know how much I may have to lengthen or shorten the driveshafts and I want to figure that out before I start the swap so I'm not without my suburban for days.

The 4L80 is 2 3/8" longer then the 700r4. So that is the amount you would need to shorten your drive shaft as long as the adapters are the same length. Adjust accordingly if not.

700r4 = 23 3/8" long not including adapter

4L80E = 25 3/4" long not including adapter

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well it's pooling around the pressure ports on my transmission. That's why I believe it is the tv cable leaking because that's the thing farthest back from the bellhousing if I am correct.

Ya but when you drive down the road it gets pushed every where and the transmission is angled down toward the rear.

Im not saying its not your TV just that you have 3 possible spots for it to be leaking from.

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7L
I'm wondering how much difference the rear end will make. Because the one out the the V2500 was a 14 bolt SF and I believe mine is a 10 bolt.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I'm wondering how much difference the rear end will make. Because the one out the the V2500 was a 14 bolt SF and I believe mine is a 10 bolt.

??????

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh for drive length lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I can measure tomorrow. If your keeping your 10 bolt and using the drive shaft used with the 10 bolt and 700r4 it doesn't matter because you are extending the transmission back that 2 3/8"

If you are also swapping in the 3/4 ton rear end then your drive shaft will have to be shortened even further to accommodate the longer pinion of the 14 SF

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What I mean is if you are just swapping in the 4l80 and keeping your 10 bolt and drive shaft then you will have to shorten the drive shaft by 2 3/8" because that is how much longer your transmission will be not accounting for adapter differences.

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7L
Yeah I plan on keeping the 10 bolt for now till I do my planned brake upgrades. which when that happens I'll be changing to a 1999-06 disc brake rear end and H3 Hummer front brakes with Hydroboost.

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7L
the thing is it doesn't leak when I'm driving down the road it only leaks when the car is shut off.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Oddly I had a problem with it leaking only after the engine was shut off. Found two issues. Case vent and fluid filter.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7L
Well the filter is brand new I replaced the filter and pan gasket the first time. As for the vent I know on the 4L80E it is bolted to the bellhousing mounting bolts.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yeah I plan on keeping the 10 bolt for now till I do my planned brake upgrades. which when that happens I'll be changing to a 1999-06 disc brake rear end and H3 Hummer front brakes with Hydroboost.

If you use an 86 and down 14 FF you can use a bolt on disc conversion.

If your truck is lifted you may want to shorten your drive shaft less. My 6" lift pulled my slip yoke out about 1 1/4"

When your tranny is running the torque converter is pumping fluid through all the internal components of the transmission. When the tranny is not running all that fluid settles back down to the bottom of the transmission,

The part of the dip stick that reads full is about an 1" or so below the case where the TV cable and dip stick tube attaches to the transmission. So when the engine is running the transmission fluid level is below the attachment points. When you shut off the engine the fluid is now above the attachment points due to all the fluid settling back down from the internals of the transmission. This is why you only notice it leaking when the engine is not running.

This at least rules out leaky cooler lines:)

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7L
Yeah I know about the 14 bolt ff disc conversions using chevy 3/4 ton front calipers, however with my suburban being a half ton right now with no lift I feel that the 99-06 rear axle maybe a good upgrade. I think what I'll do is when I pull my transmission to put the 4L80E I may reseal the tv cable and the dipstick housing. Then possibly sell it on craigslist.

Last edited:

gVyrus

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L
I'm having the same problem with leaking out of where the detent cable connects to the trans. So my question is. Should it be leaking out when it is on lvl ground and not running?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell