700R4 TV Cable (and Carb....)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
First off... I want to thank anyone even looking at this thread. I have researched and researched... and as "simple" as these analog machines are... I may be too "digital" for this subject!!

So I know the TV cable has a lot of info. I ordered a new one for ***** and giggles as it's 25 dollars and I figure before I finally arrive at the fact that indeed my 3-4 clutch packs are gone, lemme try a few Hail Marys.

Here's the Mickey Mouse rigged TV cable as I received the truck. It is quite loose and I am unsure how it's supposed to be attached... and even the throttle cable is pretty loose as the hole is like 3/8" and the linkage pin is like 1/4" (these are guesses for illustrative purposes... parking a scooter in a hanger of you will)

Can you experts start peppering off what I need to do here?

You must be registered for see images attach

Also... shamefully I have no idea about carbs... I'm assuming this is the choke linkage that's off.

Also, anyone know what the heck this carb model is?? Obviously it's Edelbrock... the truck has an Edelbrock intake manifold too.

Oh and would it be catastrophic if I pressure washed the engine?? Ofcourse keep the water away from the carb and distributor.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
that looks kinda like a 1405 or 1406 performer series carb. i have a 1405 (manual choke) 600cfm and edelbrock makes a part that attaches onto the throttle shaft in order to receive the correct geometry for the 700r4/2004r throttle valve cable. heres a link not sure if it will work.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

here is the bracket i use
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ecbRXRzYZYvpkMBeK0Hf1DPm6GPpmqx0h3xoCmunw_wcB

and here is a decent video on how to adjust that cable properly
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Looking from the front, the number is on the base plate on the left

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
It is indeed a 1405. Got a lot of stuff to chase down... although the rigged linkage there seems to take the TV cable through the entire travel pretty well. I'm wondering though now the 3/4 gears are toast.... I think when I stabbed the throttle, the rigged linkage fell off the pin and that screwed up the gears in less than 10 miles.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
When you put the pedal to the floor are you getting full throttle, that is an absolute must for the geometry to be right.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i believe, even if you get full travel that the geometry must be absolutely perfect hence the reason these manufactures make these correctors. here is a link to a picture i found as a basic idea.

http://bdturnkeyengines.com/install-manual/

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
i believe, even if you get full travel that the geometry must be absolutely perfect hence the reason these manufactures make these correctors. here is a link to a picture i found as a basic idea.

http://bdturnkeyengines.com/install-manual/
That is correct, but if you don't have full WOT the geometry will be off at any throttle position even with the proper geometry bracket since it's all predicated on WOT..

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Those are some great videos and links, jjewett444.

To Krautmeister... another option is to pull the trans pan and inspect what the TV cable is actually doing. When the TV cable is properly adjusted or close to (because it can be fine tuned to your own preference), the Throttle Valve Plunger on the Valve Body (in trans pan area -as illustrated in the 2nd video posted) should be completely depressed at WOT.

While the pan is dropped, you can:
1. inspect fluid for being burnt,
2. look at the metal shavings accumulation (slight coatings of fine dust on pan & tiny bit stacked on magnet is normal wear & acceptable),
3. change filter (be sure to retrieve the o-ring which usually likes to stick to case side of filter; you don't want to double stack o-rings...plus filter will not seat all the way)
4. With the pan removed, you can be sure that you have the correct adustment.

One more thing... the 700R4/4L60's are known for having issues with the Throttle Valve in the Valve Body in the trans (the valve sticks). A great opton is to install one of the aftermarket correction kits. I like the TransGo one personally. They make 2 options for this trans... the Junior (SK700-JR) & Regular Full (SK700). The Junior version is a little bit easier to install for novices and can be done while trans is in the vehicle.
These kits are modifications to correct common issues & to help prevent catastrophic damage due to the hydraulic portion of the system.. these will not fix damage already done to the clutch packs or other hard parts.

There are also correction kits made by other aftermarket companies like Superior... but TransGo is the one I'm most familiar with and have installed multiple times. (Every 700R4 I own...lol)

If you need pics or more help with the info I provided, just ask. Good luck ;)

Last edited:

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
Those are some great videos and links, jjewett444.

To Krautmeister... another option is to pull the trans pan and inspect what the TV cable is actually doing. When the TV cable is properly adjusted or close to (because it can be fine tuned to your own preference), the Throttle Valve Plunger on the Valve Body (in trans pan area -as illustrated in the 2nd video posted) should be completely depressed at WOT.

While the pan is dropped, you can:
1. inspect fluid for being burnt,
2. look at the metal shavings accumulation (slight coatings of fine dust on pan & tiny bit stacked on magnet is normal wear & acceptable),
3. change filter (be sure to retrieve the o-ring which usually likes to stick to case side of filter; you don't want to double stack o-rings...plus filter will not seat all the way)
4. With the pan removed, you can be sure that you have the correct adustment.

One more thing... the 700R4/4L60's are known for having issues with the Throttle Valve in the Valve Body in the trans (the valve sticks). A great opton is to install one of the aftermarket correction kits. I like the TransGo one personally. They make 2 options for this trans... the Junior (SK700-JR) & Regular Full (SK700). The Junior version is a little bit easier to install for novices and can be done while trans is in the vehicle.
These kits are modifications to correct common issues & to help prevent catastrophic damage due to the hydraulic portion of the system.. these will not fix damage already done to the clutch packs or other hard parts.

There are also correction kits made by other aftermarket companies like Superior... but TransGo is the one I'm most familiar with and have installed multiple times. (Every 700R4 I own...lol)

If you need pics or more help with the info I provided, just ask. Good luck ;)

Cuba,

Thanks for this great info. I realize you're spoon feeding me a bit and appreciate it. German cars I'm good.... Chevys are a new area for me.

So this correction kit (I'll probably do the full kit as I'll be having the tranny rebuilt and will drop it) will keep me from toasting the 3/4 of the TV cable is not perfect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
So this correction kit (I'll probably do the full kit as I'll be having the tranny rebuilt and will drop it) will keep me from toasting the 3/4 of the TV cable is not perfect?

If you rebuild it, don't permanently install the pan with the gasket... which I don't think you can because of the TV link. You'll have to link through the pan... (most people don't remove the whole cable with trans -speaking aloud). Hold the pan on temporarily with 4 bolts or so while installing & to keep everything clean.

So when it comes time to connect the TV cable, it's VERY easy to adjust it spot on. From there, once you have made "static adjustment" shown in following images, you understand which way or how the TV shifts when adjusting the cable tighter or looser, just to fine tune line pressure.

Here are a few images that may help. I was doing some adustments on my own truck.

This under the passenger side, facing the driver side for orientation clarification. I'm in this position for the following images as well.

This ^^^ is when accelerator is depressed WOT, but in this image WOT was done at the TB (throttle body). Many cases, at least on the TB setups, the accelerator pedal never fully depresses the TV on its on. This is why the adjustment is preferably done at the TB and not with the accelerator pedal.

I'm unfamiliar with how common this is on the carb setup, so this is why I ask to pay attention to what the TV in the trans looks like when adjusting. Having a buddy to help it this case would be preferable. Try both adjustments, 1 with the accelerator pedal and then by carb.... you can choose a happy medium with those two or stick with the carb WOT adjustment version.

Last edited:

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
This is what it looks at the throttle body... at least on my truck. Cable location will vary from passenger to driver's side, depending on setup. TV Cable bracket will also look different dependent on throttle body or carb setup.

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size

Wow, a belated thank you! I’m about to tow this heap over to a buddy’s and we will be dropping the trans this weekend. Next weekend, hopefully we will be reinstalling the fresh rebuild.

I finally lost 2nd gear with all the abuse around town so it’s time to get it right!

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I just hope all the info I provided helps you out. Pictures are a 1000 words, so I'm crossing my fingers that they're as clear as can be for a useful reference. I'm ecstatic that it was in time for your install too! :D:D

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I just hope all the info I provided helps you out. Pictures are a 1000 words, so I'm crossing my fingers that they're as clear as can be for a useful reference. I'm ecstatic that it was in time for your install too! :D:D

You went above and beyond for that helpful post. If there was a way to award you points, I would send you some.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
You went above and beyond for that helpful post. If there was a way to award you points, I would send you some.

Hah! Thanks! I just like the help when I can. This is a topic I'm well versed in and not too much specific info out there or just hard to find. I did years of homework on the 700R4 to get to where I'm at, and few like to share. Lol Hoping karma continues to go around, 1 way or another.

Merry Christmas & wishing you guys a better new year! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL