700r4 stacked shifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8whiteninja

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I have an ‘89 v1500 suburban with a 700r4. I replaced the transmission a year and a half ago with one my buddy pulled out of a k5 he bought. Supposedly it was rebuilt. It was the only clean thing under that k5. So last night on my way home from work I took off from a stop sign and my transmission stack shifted into third. I haven’t had any issues with it since I installed last year. I double checked the tv cable everything seems to be fine there. Anybody have an idea of what it could be? The lockup solenoid? The valve body? This is my daily driver so I need to get it back on the road hopefully without taking it to a shop. Thanks for the help guys.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I think you can put any concerns with the TCC stuff aside for the moment. I’d revisit the TV cable first. It took a really close examination for me to see mine was frayed, and I had to replace it. Have you followed the spec procedure for adjustment? I think the first thing I’d look for is a sticking governor, especially since it should be easily accessible on a 4x4. I’ve had throttle valve issues, and they weren’t like that.

Gr8whiteninja

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I’ll check the governor in morning. I might pull the tv cable out and check it for fraying. I just found it weird that it just happened. Thanks for the reply.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
No problem! Mine did it near the bracket so there was no removal necessary, just a careful looking. Governor issues can make them do funny things sometimes. The shaft on mine was not true, and it was shifting like crap. The gear strips on some, the weights seize on some... I’d let others chime in and give more perspective. I’m far from an expert on these.

Gr8whiteninja

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
The last transmission I had in it the weights on the governor seized up, but by the time I figured that out the transmission went out.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, it’s a damn good thing you checked it. Looks like you’ve got your work cut out for you, but you’ll be back on the road in no time.

Gr8whiteninja

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
So while is was at the transmission place I picked up a new tv cable. It doesnt have the adjustment tab instead it twists to adjust the length. Anybody ever use a cable like this? They said it is supposed to fit my ‘89 burb
You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hmm... Not me. I ordered the AC Delco cable from Amazon, and it was made exactly like the original.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Ive got one with a clamp to get you close, then you press a button and move the body to adjust. I'd say as long as you know what you're doing you'll be ok. Just be sure it stays in place, I'm not sure if id trust it unless it has a way to keep it clamped in adjustment

You must be registered for see images attach

Gr8whiteninja

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Well put the new governor gear in and now it shifts great! Thanks 1987 GMC Jimmy. I honestly didn’t even suspect the governor until you mentioned it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL