700r4 Rebuild advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Hello all,
I have a 1992 700r4 in the shop for a rebuild, currently waiting its turn... It is a 1992 tranny, being put in a 89 v2500 with a 4" lift and 35" tires, with HD Trans cooler. I was looking for any knowledge on how it should be done the best way. It is in a reputable shop, so not worried about the skill, just want to be able to talk to him about how to move forward when it's my turn. His standard price is $1400, but if there is any recommended upgrades it should have that is more $ I would like to consider it. It's a beach truck, not a show truck, so not looking for a "shiny" new one, but more of a beast!! Thanks for your help!!

Last edited:

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Transgo and B&M make excellent kits, a reputable builder will know about upgrading sun/planetary gears, etc. A buddy of mine built up one for me with a Transgo kit, did some hard part up grades. The trans is a beast, having withstood towing (OD disabled), behind a SBC with a Holley Supercharger, making about 430hp. I do run 35s, and 4.56 gears. No matter what tranny you use, very important to have the gearing changed if tire size is changed. I plumbed a 10k lb trans cooler to keep temps in check. If you do a lot of towing, or rock crawling, it doesn't hurt to have a trans temp gauge to help keep an eye on things. The only gripe I have is under hard throttle is a very hard shift into 2nd gear. But other than that,,,,,LOVE IT

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Thanks for the input, I don't know what my gear ratio is but will figure that out when I get it back. Also will be finding out what kit he plans on. I won't be towing or rock climbing, but driving in the sand is pretty tough on the truck. I am going to ask about him adding a temp sensor while he is at it, good call on that! Does any one know if any of kits eliminate the TV cable?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
definitely install largest cooler you can and a temp guage. A good shop should be able to give a list of upgrades that they are doing.
This is a general list of parts I wanted to install in my 700r4 when time to upgrade comes. Do no need to follow it, but just a reference.
torque converter - PDQ-C40-HDT
Torrington bearing kit
10 vane oil pump parts with no yo yo
0.470 main boost valve
5 pinion rear planetary
29 element input sprag
manual low/reverse sprag LOREVSPRAG700
GM Turbulator low-drag steel & quick clutch release SKU3885
Borg Warner, Hi-Energy wide 2-4 band
Forward, Manual Low/Reverse, Overrun, and Reverse Input Clutches
Corvette 700R4 2nd Gear Servo
Sonnex sun shell

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Well that's a heck of a response!! But lol that's just reminded me I have no clue about transmissions!!

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Not sure, but it is a 89 with a 92 trans, so it could have been anything...

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Does any one know if any of kits eliminate the TV cable?
Only way to eliminate the TV cable is to put a full manual valve body on, and you don't want that..

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It should have had a th400 in it, which is a better suited unit for a 3/4

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Don't know what your plan is for a torque converter, but I never use an old one unless I know first hand that it's good. Shops used to have equipment to clean them out, but I don't know if that's applicable to lock up converters, and that still doesn't mean they'll work right.

As for Throttle Valve cable, I can't overemphasis how important it is to get the adjustment right. IMO that means dropping the pan to make sure the TV valve is out at closed throttle (just touching the lever) and fully in at WOT. You may need a throttle lever geometry corrector to make this happen, unless your carb or EFI throttle body was originally used with a 700R4 or 2004R.

When I was researching TV cable adjustments, I found some very good articles, including one from a shop that said >60% of the 700R4 failures they see are caused by improperly adjusted TV cables.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Only way to eliminate the TV cable is to put a full manual valve body on, and you don't want that..
I have run manual valve body trans before and I love it. A clutchless manual. Just important to have a floor shifter set up with proper ergonomics.
You don't want to be reaching for the shifter.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have run manual valve body trans before and I love it. A clutchless manual. Just important to have a floor shifter set up with proper ergonomics.
You don't want to be reaching for the shifter.
Nope
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406