700r4 Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, if it's coming into the shfit, I'd say it's the 3/4 has gotten hot and coned the steels. If so, it won't be long and it'll be a 2 speed.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
How is the torque converter wired? It is possible that the lock up is happening right after shifting to 3rd. Or simply 3-4 clutch pack. It is odd for the shop to claim that they pulled it apart and checked internals.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How is the torque converter wired? It is possible that the lock up is happening right after shifting to 3rd. Or simply 3-4 clutch pack. It is odd for the shop to claim that they pulled it apart and checked internals.

I'm not positive how it's wired. I will pull it in my shop and get under it and look. I had a picture that I took when I replaced my o2 sensor a while back. There was a plug hanging down and I didn't know what it was for. I posted the picture on a Square Body group on FB and they all said it was the plug for my converter. I haven't been back underneath it since I got the truck back to see if it's still hanging there or not.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Usually if lockup wired in for auto engage, it will be triggered by 4th gear. If the plug is not connected, then lock up is disabled. Pretty much leaves the 3-4 clutch pack, possibly internal leak or other trans related issue. What rpm's does it shift in to 3rd?

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Usually if lockup wired in for auto engage, it will be triggered by 4th gear. If the plug is not connected, then lock up is disabled. Pretty much leaves the 3-4 clutch pack, possibly internal leak or other trans related issue. What rpm's does it shift in to 3rd?

If left in drive (which I can't really do) it shifts into 3rd at about 1900 when cold. It feels like Im in overdrive by 35 mph, so I just manually shift it, the truck only feels good when I go into overdrive above 55 mph.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
If left in drive (which I can't really do) it shifts into 3rd at about 1900 when cold. It feels like Im in overdrive by 35 mph, so I just manually shift it, the truck only feels good when I go into overdrive above 55 mph.
Those are seriously stacked shifts

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Possible TV cable issues too? I can't remember if we went over this with you or not. Take a pic of the carb cable setup?

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Possible TV cable issues too? I can't remember if we went over this with you or not. Take a pic of the carb cable setup?

Ill go take a pic. He swears it is set up correctly but I wonder.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Shifting that early means the cable is way too loose.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here is the TV cable.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the clip he put on the governor cover

And here is the plug hanging down that I don't know what it does.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
So torque converter doesn't look plugged in. The trans connector has zero wires but has the terminals still attached. Was that photo taken of the trans itself? Or just the connector end dangling?

The TV cable adjustment looks odd. Geometry looks good but it doesn't looked ratcheted at all. Then again, isn't there an adapter for carb setup? I don't see it on there either

I'm surprised that there is a way for that clip to be attached!

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Without a pressure gauge it's hard to be certain, but I agree, there's nothing ratcheted out on the adjuster for the TV.

Also, your converter is unhooked, so you likely have a cooked 3-4, probably from the probably improperly adjusted TV cable.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's what I thought, cable is way too loose and not enough line pressure. Can always drop the pan and see how far in the TV is..

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How on earth can it be back in the same shop numerous times and the converter still be unhooked? I was wondering if they wired it differently or something. This is ridiculous.

One really bad thing if it is a TV cable adjustment, is that I had a C10 a while back and the carb was messed up. I replaced it with an edelbrock carb and knew absolutely nothing about TV cables. Went on youtube and watched some videos then went out there and adjusted it. Never had one problem with it. If I can watch a youtube video and do it, you would think a shop that only builds tans can.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
That's what I thought, cable is way too loose and not enough line pressure. Can always drop the pan and see how far in the TV is..

Agreed, it's really hard to say for certain without a gauge on the pressure port, but that looks like a universal cable, and like it was too long to begin with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406