700r4 Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Talked to A&A today. Truck hasn't even been on the lift yet and there is still one more ahead of me. Probably won't know anything until the middle of next week.
Is A&A the place that built it in the first place? Or at the least who built this one and you're seeing if they're warranty their work?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can't remember now Scott, did you ever get the year model code off of this unit that's currently in the truck?

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can't remember now Scott, did you ever get the year model code off of this unit that's currently in the truck?

No, I havent had the truck since the day after it broke.

And yes, A&A is who built it. Waiting to see if its covered on warranty.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No, I havent had the truck since the day after it broke.

And yes, A&A is who built it. Waiting to see if its covered on warranty.
If they're any kind of reputable it should be. Unless they try to blame on it something you did. Did you even find out where all the fluid was puking from? I have a feeling it's the front seal that got puked out which would mean they didn't do a modification to the front pump that should have been done on the older models. Older I mean 86 and below. I believe that was corrected by 87 and up. Don't get me to lying though. There is way to many mods and updates to remember on 700r4's so first think I do is ID the year model, then go from there and handle each one as a case by case basis. If any updated as in later model mods are made or swapped in, then you also have to make sure what parts are compatible and if you do make the update, what else has to go with it because normally it's not just one part you can change. You have to have the other parts that work with that part. Sunshell is one exception to that rule. Sunshell can and she be updated on EVERY 700r4.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I love that guy, lol..

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just got a call from A&A, they said my truck is ready. He said they had not seen this before but some clip broke that holds the governor cover on and the entire cover was missing. He said they took it out and everything looked fine, they fixed the cover and re-installed and it was ok.

I have no idea if all that sounds correct or not. I do know it will still be doing the same thing when I go get it today (shuddering when shifting to 3rd and O/D and shifting way too early).

I'm just going to get it and I think I am going to hope it makes it until I save up for one from Bowtie Overdrives. At least the truck will move under it's own power I guess. I think when these guys test drive they just barely drive it, don't even get it up to highway speeds, because there is no way anyone would get in this truck, put it in drive, and think it shifts normal if you run it even up to 50 mph.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I've never heard of nor seen a cliip for the governor cover on the 700R4. It may have an Oring at times but either way, ALWAYS tapped on with a hammer. No screws, no clip. Not even on the governor itself. I smell BS, but if it turns out working properly from now on.... who cares. :shrug:

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've never heard of nor seen a cliip for the governor cover on the 700R4. It may have an Oring at times but either way, ALWAYS tapped on with a hammer. No screws, no clip. Not even on the governor itself. I smell BS, but if it turns out working properly from now on.... who cares. :shrug:

Well, since they said they didn't rebuild it, I know I am going to have the same issues I was having before. Pretty frustrating but truthfully, I am just happy that I won't be putting it on a trailer to get it home.

We live way out in the country and my wife has been driving 90 miles round trip to work for the last five years. She just started a new job as the accountant/payroll person for the local school and now only goes 8 miles. That makes it easy for me to trade her trucks if I have to go far.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just got it back and it drove fine back home (50 miles). It does still shudder when going into 3rd or overdrive, it only does that once hot also.

And I spoke with the owner/builder, he also said there is no clip and he has never seen one come off. He said it's the same cover used on the Turbo 350, which does have a clip, so he added one now.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
And I spoke with the owner/builder, he also said there is no clip and he has never seen one come off. He said it's the same cover used on the Turbo 350, which does have a clip, so he added one now.

I recall the 350 having a clip but I don't see how that'd apply to the 700R4...Like I said, they tapped on and the 700r4 shouldn't need it, although the caps are interchangeable.
Hmmm, on the shudder....and while hot only. To me it points more to the VB area, but I could be wrong. I'm more of a novice when it comes to tranny diagnosis for the most part. Can't wait for some of the others to chime in

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Interesting to see how he attached the clip because the case don't have a hole and a notch for the clip, guess you could drill a hole and grind a notch in the case though... Half the time I don't even use a clip on a 350, for one thing if the cap don't go on tight to begin with it should not be used anyways..

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Yeah, and it's not under high pressure. Just a load of BS. At least they took care of it... I wonder what actually happened. They're covering up for some other mistake they must've made. Something they overlooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito