700r4 getting hot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ground should be ok because it goes to body ground. I would more question the gauge it self and the sender. Would be a good test to boil water and put sender in the boiling water to check what it shows

Good idea. I guess I could also pull it back apart and replace it with the brand new autometer gauge on that I have lying on my desk it came with the sending unit. Other then the gauge showing as hot everything else is running as normal. Shifts are nice a firm, no odd noises, or any types of hesitations.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well now this is interesting.. Mine only has D 3 2 1
Guess they had changes through the years, this is my 89 and the D circled is OD..

You must be registered for see images attach

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Guess they had changes through the years, this is my 89 and the D circled is OD..

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh, I actually like that better then mine. So just went out tried adjusting my TV cable found out mine doesn't self adjust. So I played it by feel and think I got it right. Will confirm this in the morning. Also I changed out the now trans temp gauge for the autometer one and it was showing about 180 after driving it for the TV cable adjustment and having it sit while pulling the cluster apart. Thinking I'm going pull the sending unit out tomorrow and boil it to verify its reading accurate.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Make sure you have absolute full throttle, adjust cable so it's tight at full throttle..

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Make sure you have absolute full throttle, adjust cable so it's tight at full throttle..

Will do. Thanks everyone for the help its all super appreciated! I really don't want to be paying for trans work right now, so this is really saving my ass.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe the gears to be 3:73s and I'm currently using 33x12.5x16.5 soon to be 305x70x16.

Now here is another thought @yevgenievich I was reading up on the gauge post you made about how they function.. How I wired this one up, I ran a jumper from the power stud on the back of my current water temp gauge to the power stud on the now trans temp gauge, I did the same for the ground but then ran a wire from the gauge to the sending unit. By reading how they function could it be that the ground from the other gauge is causing the "zero magnet" to not pull as much as it should?

Ok, you have been running unlocked, causing the heat to build up. I ran that exact combo for a long time. 3.73, 305/70/16 and a 700r4... It was a lousy combo. I don't remember exactly what it was, but interstate speeds with the converter locked, it was above 2k but less than 2200 for sure. Iirc, 70 mph was actually less than 2100.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, you have been running unlocked, causing the heat to build up. I ran that exact combo for a long time. 3.73, 305/70/16 and a 700r4... It was a lousy combo. I don't remember exactly what it was, but interstate speeds with the converter locked, it was above 2k but less than 2200 for sure. Iirc, 70 mph was actually less than 2100.

Oh wow. So my current tires are 33"s but I doubt they will make it much better. Sending unit and gauges are all verified to be reading correctly.

So went ahead today got the TV cable adjusted to what I believe is good. it shifts from 1-2 at 20 mph and 2500 RPM then 2-3 at 35 mph and 2500 RPM then 3-4 at 50 mph and 2300 RPM.
I also got a another new filter from the parts store opened up the trans. Didn't see anything out of place except for a missing chunk off one of the magnets. Pulled the filter and its seal, replaced both with new, and sealed it all back up. Made sure to fill it properly with DEXIII. I then setup the coolers in line with each other. First going through the OEM one in the radiator and then into the add on cooler then back to the trans. Took it for a good bit of a drive found that the trans under normal driving 55-60 mph like to be right around 145 then normal freeway driving 65-70 was between 180 and 195 this is unloaded normal driving with as much cooling as I can throw at it. I feel its better but I think it should be lower then this.

So should I take this into the transmission shop? or is there something I can check out for the Converter running unlocked? I might also have the gearing wrong as I read 3:73 from the glove box tag but have not actually opened the diff to verify it.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@bucket I went out lifted the rear end of the truck, and turned the tire one full rotation. The yoke turned 2 and a little rotation. It does have the G80 locker, and by using the info from a post by hotrodpc that would seem I have 4:10 or 4.11:1

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's hard to say by that method, there really isn't much difference between those two ratios.

On a cold day, my trans would hardly ever get over 100* just driving around in town and country. Obviously, warmer days would bring the temps up. But interstate driving would always bring the temps up. Hills or a strong headwind, the temps would creep up to around 220-230* and then I backed off the throttle at that point. It seemed to do ok like that, but I hated always having to worry about the trans temp when going on long trips. I dealt with it for 60-70K before I pulled the trans and sold it to a friend. It still felt healthy when I pulled it.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I dealt with it for 60-70K before I pulled the trans and sold it to a friend. It still felt healthy when I pulled it.

Makes sense to me. I'll probably drive it to and from work this week and see how it does since I don't have any other option right now, I will probably schedule it an appointment with the trans shop to check it over. Now should 3-4 be my final shift or am I correct in thinking that the converter locking up would be an additional shift like feeling? What did you end up putting in its place bucket?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It should feel like another shift after 4th. Easy to check as small variation in throttle will not cause rpm variation when cruising in lock up

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, you should feel it lock up when you are up to speed.

And my Burb is still sitting without trans. But there is a rebuilt th400 to go in it's place.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It should feel like another shift after 4th. Easy to check as small variation in throttle will not cause rpm variation when cruising in lock up

That is what I was thinking should happen. So I got it up to 70 and from 50 (my 3-4 shift) to 70 I did not feel another shift or notice another rpm change. I'm thinking its a safe assumption that its not locking up.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'll try and trouble shoot the lockup and see what I can come up with.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Verify that it is connected and that there is 12v on the connector. Then have to follow the signal ground wire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke