700r4 dipstick length??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Oh there could be more I don't know, those are just the ones I have..

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I think I would have some serious issues with a transmission shop that can't locate transmission parts.
Lol...very true. Sounds like an A+ shop to me right off the bat. If it were me, I would have done some more research before dropping my truck and dishing out coin for a transmission rebuild. Personal reccomendations go a long way for me. My business relies heavily on referrals so I too take them very seriously and do everything to keep my clients happy.

When my 700r4 trans was rebuilt. I installed an adjustable length dipstick (lokar). Mine was a bitmeasier since I trimmed the new to matxh the lengthof the old. Make sure you check the fluid when the transmission is warmed to operating temp or the level won't be correct otherwise.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Does anyone have any advice on what to do now? I cant pull the tube, and because it's the wrong size I can't measure it and cut a new one to length. I know the shop is not passing everyone's smell test, but at least they figured out it was the wrong size, that was only from there experience. I'm not trying to stick up for these guy's, just that, it is what it is... And with all the possibilities for sticks and tubes, I'm glad this forum is here to help.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You'll have to go underneath and pry it out of the case, after you unbolt it from the top case bolt.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You'll have to go underneath and pry it out of the case, after you unbolt it from the top case bolt.
What Art just said. At this time, you need to have the old one out of the way to move forward.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
It is basically covered in rtv, it was damaged where the gromet goes so this was what they did as a "fix".. No leaks in 5 months, but its non removable at this point.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It is basically covered in rtv, it was damaged where the gromet goes so this was what they did as a "fix".. No leaks in 5 months, but its non removable at this point.
Get a new set tube/stick/groumet for your vehicle(rock auto should pull it up) and ask the shop to install new ones. Or ask them ahead of time if they can do it.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I would research and buy a new tube and dipstick...take it back to the shop and have them replace the jerry rigged setup with the proper tube, grommet and length dipstick. If they broke it, they should fix it. Even if they didn't break it, that's just sloppy work plain and simple. A reputable shop...not a couple of guys in coveralls drinking beer and working out of someones garage should fix it properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL