700r4 dipstick length??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Hey guys, just got my trans rebuilt and it's running great!! However the shop told me it has the the wrong dipstick... What I have is a 1992 700r4, does anyone know the length of the one it needs? I would like to confirm, and if it is wrong, be able to make sure the new one is right... Thanks!!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Depends on how long the tube is, I have one 25" and one 33"..

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Crap, I knew this wouldn't be easy... So the tube is around 33" (hard to exact measure) the stick is 33 1/2 from the bottom of the red handle part # on it is 15687192.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, stick usually sticks out about a 1/2" past the tube and the tube is about 2" beyond the case. Myself I would pop the tube out and see where the end of the stick is.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
That would be way too hard. The shop used a lot of rtv to seal in the tube, it was messed up from it's past, and was leaking there. It's pretty much sealed in for good.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
That's not a good sign. There's usually a grommet or o-rings to seal the tube. Slopping a bunch a rtv on it isn't going to be a long term solution.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What kind of shop is that???, nobody puts RTV there that's gonna leak for sure, bet that'll pop right off too, that's another good reason to pull the tube and put the appropriate seal there..

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It is possible that the tube is damaged on the end and the regular seal could not seal around it. The best option might be to buy a new matching tube/dipstick/seal and install.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Hmm.. So the shop has a solid reputation and a 1 yr. warranty, problem is they have transmission skills, not good at the social part. They told me to go to a junk yard and find a newe one. Which is why I'm here.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Hmm.. So the shop has a solid reputation and a 1 yr. warranty, problem is they have transmission skills, not good at the social part. They told me to go to a junk yard and find a newe one. Which is why I'm here.
I think I would have some serious issues with a transmission shop that can't locate transmission parts.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
They might be just offering the cheapest solution that a lot of people seek instead of communicating the purchase of new parts.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think I would have some serious issues with a transmission shop that can't locate transmission parts.
X2... Can't believe a shop would say that, and very hard to believe that a tranny shop don't have a bunch of em laying in a pile somewhere, I even have a few lying around, lol.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
You all make sense to me, I completely agree... Thing is $1400 for a performance rebuild with a 1 yr. warranty and he is the only guy around. He looked for one and couldn't find basically he said any 87-92 at the junk yard will work.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
They all will work because the end in the pan are all the same depth in the pan, it's a matter how high you want the tube to stick up as far as length goes.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
So they only made 2, the 25" and 33"? Thinking here then, just make sure its the bigger one and should be good ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell