700r to 480l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I saw those videos, couldn't believe what I was seeing...:wtf:

Yeah, before I knew any better, back in 06 or so, I had them build me a 700 for an 86 K10. It went from Cleveland to Toledo and burned up the 2-4 band, which they promptly blamed on the TV cable, (Which I now know would have burned the direct first).

Then on the tear down, it had a 4 pinion planetary, no bushing in one of the planetary gears, and was in a car case, with an ordinary stock servo.

I bought a TCI Streetfighter to get back on the road, an ATSG manual, and some videos and learned to do my own after that.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, before I knew any better, back in 06 or so, I had them build me a 700 for an 86 K10. It went from Cleveland to Toledo and burned up the 2-4 band, which they promptly blamed on the TV cable, (Which I now know would have burned the direct first).

Then on the tear down, it had a 4 pinion planetary, no bushing in one of the planetary gears, and was in a car case, with an ordinary stock servo.

I bought a TCI Streetfighter to get back on the road, an ATSG manual, and some videos and learned to do my own after that.
That sucks big time, don't see how an outfit like that stay in business..

Wildjoe330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
wildjoe330
Truck Year
Itbp
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
A long parts list from the Trans. Shop for the Rebuilt 700 trade in I just picked up.

Shop Information: XXXX XXXXX AUTOMOTIVE IS A REAL PROFESSIONAL SHOP. We specialize in rebuilding transmissions with 25 years experience, THOUSANDS of Transmissions rebuilt, and hundreds of happy customers.

WE WILL REBUILD ANY TRANSMISSION YOU BRING IN FOR A VERY LOW PRICE! COME IN FOR A FREE ESTIMATE OR CALL FAST LANE NOW AND GET YOU CAR FIXED.

This is a Professionally Rebuilt second generation 700-R4 (MD8) Automatic Transmission that will work behind any 1982-1992 2.2L 4 Cylinder, 4.3L V6, 5.0L V8, 5.7L 350 V8, or other GM, Chevy and GMC applications. Used in such models as Astro Van, Blazer, Camaro, Caprice, Corvette, Impala, Jimmy, S10, S15, Sonoma, Safari, Suburban, Syclone, Full Size C/K Truck, Typhoon, Van, Yukon and many more.

Information about the Transmission
Parts List:

* All New Gaskets, Seals Metal Clad Seals, Sealing Rings, Paper and Rubber NOTHING REUSED!
* New Alto 9 Clutch ¾ Stack up
* 5 - New Borg Warner Low/Reverse Clutches
* 4 - New Borg Warner Reverse Input Clutches
* 5 - New Borg Warner Forward Clutches
* 2 - New Borg Warner Overrun Clutches
* New Borg Warner High Energy
* Late model 4L60E ¾ Clutch One Piece Apply Plate
* New Teflon Pump Bushing

* New Teflon Extension Housing Bushing
* New Bronze Front and Rear Stator Bushings
* New Bronze Case Bushing
* New Thrust Washers
* New Pump Vanes
* New Pump Guide

* New Hardened Pump Rings
* New Hardened Spline Sun Shell
* New Borg Warner Low/Reverse (Late Model) Sprag
* New Reverse Input Capsule
* New Aluminum 1-2 Accumulator Piston
* New Aluminum 3-4 Accumulator Piston
* New Molded 3/4 Piston
* New TransGo Zinc Coated Separator Plate
* Extreme Tolerance GM Front and Rear Planets

Updates to the Transmission

TransGo Shift Improver Kit
This Well Engineered TransGo kit replaces weak valves springs, accumulator springs, servo springs, and fixes other issues with this transmission. Overall the kit helps increase the life and durability of the transmission.

Updated Sun Shell
We use hardened spline Sunshell helps prevent stripping of where the Sunshell splines on to the rear sun gear, which is a very common issue with the OEM (GM) Shell.

Updated Accumulator Pistons
We use aluminum accumulator pistons versus original plastic pistons, or worn leaking OEM type pistons

Updated ¾ Clutch Pack
We use Alto 9 Clutch 3/4 stack up (The ¾ Clutch pack is one of the biggest weak spots of the this transmission, this ¾ stack up allows the load to be to better distributed on the increased clutch apply area of the 9 clutches instead of the 6 clutches OEM);

Reverse Input Capsule
Helps reduce premature failure in the Reverse Input Clutch.

Warranty:
This transmission comes with a 3 Year 36,000 Mile Warranty!!

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Here is a link and a long parts list from the Trans. Shop for the Rebuilt 700 trade in I just picked up. Now I am hearing more about the 400 that could be used.

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ptd/d/transmissions-best-price-in/6236411921.html

Shop Information: FAST LANE AUTOMOTIVE IS A REAL PROFESSIONAL SHOP in ALBUQUERQUE, NM. We specialize in rebuilding transmissions with 25 years experience, THOUSANDS of Transmissions rebuilt, and hundreds of happy customers.

WE WILL REBUILD ANY TRANSMISSION YOU BRING IN FOR A VERY LOW PRICE! COME IN FOR A FREE ESTIMATE OR CALL FAST LANE NOW AND GET YOU CAR FIXED (505)254-9292

This is a Professionally Rebuilt second generation 700-R4 (MD8) Automatic Transmission that will work behind any 1982-1992 2.2L 4 Cylinder, 4.3L V6, 5.0L V8, 5.7L 350 V8, or other GM, Chevy and GMC applications. Used in such models as Astro Van, Blazer, Camaro, Caprice, Corvette, Impala, Jimmy, S10, S15, Sonoma, Safari, Suburban, Syclone, Full Size C/K Truck, Typhoon, Van, Yukon and many more.

Information about the Transmission
Parts List:

* All New Gaskets, Seals Metal Clad Seals, Sealing Rings, Paper and Rubber NOTHING REUSED!
* New Alto 9 Clutch ¾ Stack up
* 5 - New Borg Warner Low/Reverse Clutches
* 4 - New Borg Warner Reverse Input Clutches
* 5 - New Borg Warner Forward Clutches
* 2 - New Borg Warner Overrun Clutches
* New Borg Warner High Energy
* Late model 4L60E ¾ Clutch One Piece Apply Plate
* New Teflon Pump Bushing

* New Teflon Extension Housing Bushing
* New Bronze Front and Rear Stator Bushings
* New Bronze Case Bushing
* New Thrust Washers
* New Pump Vanes
* New Pump Guide

* New Hardened Pump Rings
* New Hardened Spline Sun Shell
* New Borg Warner Low/Reverse (Late Model) Sprag
* New Reverse Input Capsule
* New Aluminum 1-2 Accumulator Piston
* New Aluminum 3-4 Accumulator Piston
* New Molded 3/4 Piston
* New TransGo Zinc Coated Separator Plate
* Extreme Tolerance GM Front and Rear Planets

Updates to the Transmission

TransGo Shift Improver Kit
This Well Engineered TransGo kit replaces weak valves springs, accumulator springs, servo springs, and fixes other issues with this transmission. Overall the kit helps increase the life and durability of the transmission.

Updated Sun Shell
We use hardened spline Sunshell helps prevent stripping of where the Sunshell splines on to the rear sun gear, which is a very common issue with the OEM (GM) Shell.

Updated Accumulator Pistons
We use aluminum accumulator pistons versus original plastic pistons, or worn leaking OEM type pistons

Updated ¾ Clutch Pack
We use Alto 9 Clutch 3/4 stack up (The ¾ Clutch pack is one of the biggest weak spots of the this transmission, this ¾ stack up allows the load to be to better distributed on the increased clutch apply area of the 9 clutches instead of the 6 clutches OEM);

Reverse Input Capsule
Helps reduce premature failure in the Reverse Input Clutch.

Warranty:
This transmission comes with a 3 Year 36,000 Mile Warranty!!

The only comment on that I have, is the Alto clutches, are thinner than stock, that's how they get more in there. I prefer to use the Raybestos clutches myself. I'll machine the direct if I need to get more in there.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
That sucks big time, don't see how an outfit like that stay in business..

Advertising and marketing, they have Richard Rawlings saying they are the absolute best out there, for instance. They give them away to the Powerblock shows, as well as the Reality Discover shows. For what I call the "casual car guy", they guy who has a surface understanding and can string together words into phrases like, "built 350 4 bolt main with Vortec heads backed up by a built 700r4" but really has no true understanding of how thing's get "built". They impress them enough, so they go buy it.

And the failure rate is probably something like 2 in 10, maybe 3. Most work fine, or the people accept whatever failure excuse they give them, like TV cable.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Advertising and marketing, they have Richard Rawlings saying they are the absolute best out there, for instance. They give them away to the Powerblock shows, as well as the Reality Discover shows. For what I call the "casual car guy", they guy who has a surface understanding and can string together words into phrases like, "built 350 4 bolt main with Vortec heads backed up by a built 700r4" but really has no true understanding of how thing's get "built". They impress them enough, so they go buy it.

And the failure rate is probably something like 2 in 10, maybe 3. Most work fine, or the people accept whatever failure excuse they give them, like TV cable.
That is true..

hiltijoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom delux
Engine Size
omg you guys are scaring me!!!!

hiltijoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom delux
Engine Size
we shall see

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
we shall see

There's a bunch out there working, but like I said, if you can get your money back and go with nearly anyone else, i would.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have a bowtieoverdrives.com 700r4 in my vette it has survived the drag strip atleast 10 times and many WOT runs on the street behind my 406, not a problem from it other than the FU$$%$^ pan leaks.

Wildjoe330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
wildjoe330
Truck Year
Itbp
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The only comment on that I have, is the Alto clutches, are thinner than stock, that's how they get more in there. I prefer to use the Raybestos clutches myself. I'll machine the direct if I need to get more in there.

I'm glad you said so cause I want to know. Thanks.

Last edited:

Wildjoe330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
wildjoe330
Truck Year
Itbp
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Yes, my guy wants me to install a lock up kit, This one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAINLESS-Pe...ash=item211cd6153f:g:wFkAAOSwEzxYWCWh&vxp=mtr

While I was waiting I said you need 2 more employees to help out. He said something about needing good help. and he also said he didn't want me to go inside it, ha is he hiding something??? I put the lock up kit in and look what I see. The oil filter is reused the front of the old oil filter is bent down and restricts the oil flow. He said in his ad NOTHING IS REUSED!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Man, that's a pretty heavy dent... Was it installed into the VB correctly? Looks like it got smashed by the pan.

Wildjoe330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
wildjoe330
Truck Year
Itbp
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My thoughts were the kid that had to move it around mashed it down JUST TO SEAT IT IN PLACE with his palm and did or didn't care how it was supposed to be. Or intended to crush it maybe knowing it would restrict the flow of oil and heat up the transmission causing a failure some day. Hey maybe another thousand dollars for the shop? The pan didn't touch it.

Their ad, is exactly the same as a shop 5 states away and they use some of the same pictures. Ha did one shop copy the others ad? Ad says NOTHING IS REUSED!

Has anyone heard of mashing down a trans oil filter just to seat it in place?
That's what he said. ha

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Vehicle Speed Sensor. A 4L80 needs a signal to know when to shift, comes from the throttle position and VSS.

Shift... I meant shift...

All good!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8