7004r swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I currently have a th350, 9 inch tail housing, case mounted, bolted to a 350 motor. The gas mileage is crap and its got broken mounts everywhere, not to meantion the never ending leaks. Ive been reading that a 700r4 swaps in well but ive got a few questions before i waste hours scouring craigslist.

First, what tail housings are available? And what should i look for? Its 2 wheel drive. Also do i need a new yoke or is it the same spline. And will it bolt to the same crewmember? If i have to fab a new one i can, i have a welder and some scrap. Any one who has done the swap, and advice is appreciated, here's an add ive been looking at

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/d/parting-out-94-caprice-9c1/6466842846.html

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Regular 2wd 700r4 will swap in. Cross member will need to move and might need to be modified a bit(i used one from donor truck as my stock th350 cross member did not easily fit). Drive shaft works, but need to check and make sure yoke is not a vented type. You will need one with mechanical Speedo or parts to convert. Also, I believe by 94 gm already switched to a 4l60e

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Regular 2wd 700r4 will swap in. Cross member will need to move and might need to be modified a bit(i used one from donor truck as my stock th350 cross member did not easily fit). Drive shaft works, but need to check and make sure yoke is not a vented type. You will need one with mechanical Speedo or parts to convert. Also, I believe by 94 gm already switched to a 4l60e

700r4s are all the same length in 2wd, just different tailshaft housings for different cars, you will want one that is 87-92 they have all the upgrades that make them live longer. 93 was first year for them in trucks, if you must buy one from a v6 have it rebuilt before the swap, they dont use the same clutch bands and cant hold the torque of v8 and heavy truck.

If it were me Id find a 4l80e and do the 0411 ecm standalone controller mod, but you will need a tcase with a round bolt pattern adapter from a th400 or sm465 truck.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
In my C10 all I had to do was move the cross member a couple inches and shorten the driveshaft, only thing is I couldn't use manual low with the factory column shifter.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
In my C10 all I had to do was move the cross member a couple inches and shorten the driveshaft, only thing is I couldn't use manual low with the factory column shifter.
I seen a lot of people just moving it, but on my 84 when swapping out, just moving the cross member had something in the way(don't remember any more). Cross member from 700r4 equipped suburban was shaped similar but one end mirrored from what my original 84 was and worked without having to drill any holes. The frame already had the holes in place. It probably would have worked for my with original cross member, but a had one that fit without doing any drilling at all so I used that path

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I seen a lot of people just moving it, but on my 84 when swapping out, just moving the cross member had something in the way(don't remember any more). Cross member from 700r4 equipped suburban was shaped similar but one end mirrored from what my original 84 was and worked without having to drill any holes. The frame already had the holes in place. It probably would have worked for my with original cross member, but a had one that fit without doing any drilling at all so I used that path
Well, mine is a 74 I'm sure 84 has to be different, my cross member was just a straight across piece, I just slid it back but I did have to drill one set of holes, the forward holes were there but not the back but that was it, I think that was the easiest/quickest swap I ever did, lol..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito