6" Skyjacker Lift with 35" tires? Fitment Good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
To the OP , everybody is entitled to their opinion , but ride like **** and dangerous is just not true. Since you are building a street truck only it's all about how much you want to spend and what look you are going after , (4"with 33's) cheap with very few mods , (8"with 37's) not cheap and a lot of mods.

I run two trucks with 8" springs on them right now , (crew cab , street only) and blazer street and off road and they ride great.

My crew cab is 8" skyjacker's with a 1" 0 rate under them for 9" total and a 3" body lift with tanks and bumper's raised with 12 wide wheels and 44" rubber with cut front fender's that are re boxed to look stock and a big block on the nose. My wife and I have drove this truck hundred's of mile's at 80 + mph in total comfort. I built this truck for the look I was after , (high and fat) for street not off road. Very fun and safe to drive anywhere.

My blazer has 8" skyjacker's with the 1" 0 rate's for 9" as well with no body lift on 16x10 wheels with 38" rubber and a small block on the nose , cut front fender's as well ,but not for show. The blazer I built to drive anywhere and beat the **** out of it when I get there. It has a lot of mods. , maybe more to come as we go along. My wife and I just got back from another wheeling trip , I drove the motorhome and she drove the blazer , (400 mile's round trip). **** , she blew by me on the hwy. at 75 mph in the blazer talking on the cell phone while eating a sandwich , that's how good it drive's.

I like the fat look on square's so I am into wide wheels , they are cool on the street but they are fender eater's off road. Build your square for the look and use you want and the money you want to spend on it. 4" or 6" easy , 8" way more involved and with the right spring's they ride great and I really don't know where dangerous come's into play.

Here is pic's of my ****** riding , dangerous square's , last one is my mud only tire's on 14 wide wheels.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry Rich I didn't mean to offend you. My words were a bit harsh I guess. I should have said ... 'many guys feel feel these springs can be blah blah..'

The dangerous aspect comes from over rated springs and underrated shocks that can't control the rebound.
This can sometimes actually bounce the tires off the ground, like coming downhill on a mountain pass, around a corner then hit some frost heaves.
The other issue is what happens when the springs compress enough that the rear shackle makes contact with the frame...?

Curios to know if you have ever had your trucks on an RTI ramp?

I'm glad you're happy with your setups and that's what matters. Interested in your experience with the shocks you have run in the past and/or current shocks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Good choice! 4" lift on 33s looks very balanced and 'ready'. I would still recommend Tough Country springs over BDS or Zone.... you will have a better ride.

The BDS springs tend to ride and flex right up there with the Tuff Country springs. IIRC, the rate was similar to the Tuff Country HD springs. But anyway as far as the 4" BDS springs go, the road manners are as good as stock and flex is good off road.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Sorry Rich I didn't mean to offend you. My words were a bit harsh I guess. I should have said ... 'many guys feel feel these springs can be blah blah..'

The dangerous aspect comes from over rated springs and underrated shocks that can't control the rebound.
This can sometimes actually bounce the tires off the ground, like coming downhill on a mountain pass, around a corner then hit some frost heaves.
The other issue is what happens when the springs compress enough that the rear shackle makes contact with the frame...?

Curios to know if you have ever had your trucks on an RTI ramp?

I'm glad you're happy with your setups and that's what matters. Interested in your experience with the shocks you have run in the past and/or current shocks.

No offense taken at all , I am sarcastic sometimes , everybody has their own opinion on parts , no big deal. I just wanted to let the op know what I have done many times playing with big lift square's over the year's , (6" and up). Yes flatter springs are easier to work with but I never like cutting the body to much. Just wanted to say that bigger springs, (if thats what you need or want) can work very well on and off road with the right set up, so the op wont be freaked out over big lifts, (within reason). We have always worked on trial and error over the years and had bad and good combo's with all part's and played with it until we got it right , or close to it.

As far as shackles go , never had any problems on the street with an average , soft spring but have had contact off road. Most of the time we extend the fronts a bit, (make our own) and leave the back, (do a flip if necessary), my kids blazer is flipped , my blazer is not.

As far as shocks go , most of the time we played with rancho 9000's so we could adjust them but have used some bilstein's that worked well. To be honest with you my blazer is great everywhere but when the rancho's get hot they start to get bouncey off road , so I am about to pull the trigger on king 2.5 or 3.0 reservoir shock's, (big dollar). Just put custom valved 3.0 kings on my kid's 2017 high country with a 7" lift and the ride is so much better than stock it's crazy. Talked to a guy that builds desert truck's and he said that when leaf springs off load , (rebound) it is super hard on most mono tube shocks and big reservoir shocks take care of that but they are big buck's .

Never been on a rti ramp, but we have a deck over heavy equipment trailer for our peterbilt at our shop that we test our square's on, (one tire on the load ramp the other on the ground). My blazer gets a tire about a foot or so from the deck before a rear tire leaves the ground, my buddies rock crawler bronco, ( 4 linked with coil overs on all corner's) goes all the way to the top, but my blazer is not a rock crawler , it's for all around use.

My kids blazer is in the build stage right now, (I will post **** when I get some more time) all spring 11" of lift , 40" mickey thompson's , on and off road use , we will see if we can pull it off.

Anyway I just want the op to know that if he wants a jacked square it's totally doable for the street and be a good driver as well, hell we live 10 miles out of town and the wife loves jumping in the crew cab or the blazer and flying down the highway to get me some more beer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara