6.5 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I have quite a few questions about converting a square to a 6.5. Currently my truck has a 350 and a th400. Truck is a crew cab k30 with a/c. First off will engine mounts and what not bolt in (assuming I have to change to 6.2 mounts). I know I need to prepare fuel system to run diesel through it. Will the 6.5 bolt to my th400 and will the th400 hold up alright behind the 6.5? How much can mod the 6.5 before I need to improve transmission. Has anyone kept a/c with the 6.5( body lift maybe?). Probably need 6.2 radiator. I would run a mechanical pump so I don't need computer and that stuff. Is there anything I'm missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
it will basically bolt right in. you need the 6.2 motor mounts. the T-400 will be fine. that's the main trans behind a 6.2/6.5. you will need the diesel torque converter. the AC is fine unless you are using a factory turbo. if using the factory turbo most will use the S-10 AC box. a Banks turbo needs no mods to the AC. the fuel pump doesn't mean you need to run a computer, the injection pump does. any electric pump must be a low pressure lift pump. you need to change the pick up sock in the fuel tank, gas and diesel socks are different. there are a lot of little things you need to do. I am doing this on my 1978. any questions ask away. highdesertranger

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
it will basically bolt right in. you need the 6.2 motor mounts. the T-400 will be fine. that's the main trans behind a 6.2/6.5. you will need the diesel torque converter. the AC is fine unless you are using a factory turbo. if using the factory turbo most will use the S-10 AC box. a Banks turbo needs no mods to the AC. the fuel pump doesn't mean you need to run a computer, the injection pump does. any electric pump must be a low pressure lift pump. you need to change the pick up sock in the fuel tank, gas and diesel socks are different. there are a lot of little things you need to do. I am doing this on my 1978. any questions ask away. highdesertranger
Ok that lines about up with what I thought. I meant injection pump not fuel pump but anyways. Is there anything that's major I'm gonna need to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
are you running a turbo? if yes what turbo? highdesertranger

Latest posts