5.7 vortec swap need help/advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonsSquares

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
im curious how long the down time was im considering the swap also i have the whole truck available i have a 96 gmc im wanting to put the motor in an 82 gmc

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd say the down time depends more on your ability and time available for the project. Unfortunately it appears to be an old thread and these members rarely participate anymore so I'd think it's highly unlikely you'll get a response. Maybe best just to start your own build thread in the Under Construction section and there will be help around that will participate on a more current thread.

Welcome to GMSB though. :handshake:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
im curious how long the down time was im considering the swap also i have the whole truck available i have a 96 gmc im wanting to put the motor in an 82 gmc

Its a lot of work to make the efi work in an older truck and honestly may not be worth it. The vortec 350 is notorious for intake gasket leaking coolant causing the the engine to run hot and crack the heads. So even if you can hear the engine run it may still have cracked heads that will need to be replaced. All the wiring and plumbing issues you will have to work out will be the same as going to a LS engine or big block, if youre going to do the swap make it worth your while.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
put the engine on an engine stand and clean up as much as you like. Then put it on an engine test stand, work through the wiring harness until it's a standalone harness and you can start it on the test stand. In other spare time, either install a rear gas tank under the bed and run new lines or add a pump to your existing tank. In tank is quieter than an inline by a lot.

Read, read, and read some more to make sure you didn't miss anything. Try to do as much prep work to both the truck and the engine as possible prior to actually yanking the engine out. That'll help cut down the "oh **** I forgot about that" moments.

Mine is on a daily driver that still runs, so I've been taking my time (sweet-ass time lol). I plan to take a week off work (mon-fri).....surely I can get it done in 9 days. If it's not in the truck running and on the way to the exhaust shop by say wednesday, I'll start worrying. Honestly, pending any major issues, I can see it being done by end of day Monday.

Below is the test stand I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-1000l...=1522096996&sr=8-2&keywords=engine+test+stand

You must be registered for see images attach

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Thats not a test stand that is a storage cradle , i have two with big blocks on them..I don't think I would start an engine on one of them, they are narrow and make it top heavy asking for it to jump and fall on its side or start barrel rolling on the floor. This is what a test stand looks like...excuse the ferd on it, see how the wheels are out further than the frame and engine mount locations that provides stability while that is running. It may not seem like it would matter but take a bicycle rim hold the axles vertically and have someone spin it, while its moving rotate it to horizontal position.
You must be registered for see images attach

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My son and I recently did just the opposite of what you are trying to do. Removed 5.7 vortec and replaced it with a carb'd 355. It is a 97 tahoe. We used the original trans, 4l60e.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
My son and I recently did just the opposite of what you are trying to do. Removed 5.7 vortec and replaced it with a carb'd 355. It is a 97 tahoe. We used the original trans, 4l60e.

did you change the ecm to a tcm?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
So just got the seal and gasket kit is there any where I can get a how to convert 4wd to 2wd 4l60e. Step by step . If there is not I'll take it to a local transmission shop see if they can get it done. Just pay labor. And motor mounts about how much do they have to be moved toward. I can use the same mounts? Or have to get new ones for the 5.7 thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a rebuild, any rebuild book or video will show how. Take literally everything out of the transmission, then starting with your new output put it all back in.

The mounts are the same, just use the factory mounts for your truck.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
We added a tps from tci that hooks up like a tv cable to the carb. Got a timing cover with the crank sensor provision and installed a single row timing chain. Everything else is still hooked up minus some of the engine (fuel) sensors. Changed fuel pump to tbi pump and run a bypass regulator.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1