4L80 gear engagement problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80goldenburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nico
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
'68 cad 472
Well since my last pot went unnoticed, i was able to figure that one out. It was line pressure issues due to a clogged, (yes CLOGGED) vacuum port that somehow had gotten pinched and was nearly closed shut. rerouted the vac hose to another port and whala, solid shifts and no shudder.

But NOW this new problem has occured. Reverse engages immediately, but putting shifter into D feels the same as Nuetral. There is no engagement unless I rev the engine to 4k. Any ideas?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Verify line pressure

80goldenburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nico
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
'68 cad 472
well, after revving it up in Park and gettin it hot (220 degrees), i have forward gears now,and they shift fine via switches. No delays, but take off is slow. When I try to rev it past 1500 rpm it makes noise (metal rubbing) and then will go back into Nuetral, acting as if it doesnt have fluid. Keep in mind this metal rubbing noise has happened before, at any temp less than 170 degrees while giving it throttle at 2k or more to get it moving. Now 1400 rpm is my limit. Any ideas?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That sounds like a transmission in need of a rebuild.
well, after revving it up in Park and gettin it hot (220 degrees), i have forward gears now,and they shift fine via switches. No delays, but take off is slow. When I try to rev it past 1500 rpm it makes noise (metal rubbing) and then will go back into Nuetral, acting as if it doesnt have fluid. Keep in mind this metal rubbing noise has happened before, at any temp less than 170 degrees while giving it throttle at 2k or more to get it moving. Now 1400 rpm is my limit. Any ideas?

80goldenburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nico
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
'68 cad 472
That sounds like a transmission in need of a rebuild.
NOOOO really?!! no im just B.S'ing.

UPDATE: changed filter and fluid, which was a bit burnt but still had a red tint to it. The bottom of the pan had some dirty graphite type substance with tiny glittery pieces. there were no big metal debri that i could see.
You must be registered for see images attach

After i put it all back together, fluid topped and now she she SHIFTS with NO PROBLEMS. o_O ???????? :33: :anitoof: :badger_1: :banana-mario:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Metal sound still indicates there was some excessive wear. And the fluid does look bad. I had a 700r4 that made metal noises on a friend's suburban. It was not pretty inside when we tore it apart. It shifted just fine as well. There is no way to know how long a transmission will last after issue like that but it is going to cause more damage in long term use. Or it might just be a lucky unit for a while

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL