454 upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Careful if you stick with the stock stroke that stock crank is only good up to 600, other than that I'm building a 2 bolt with a voodoo and I'm gonna have a mid range 11:1 or higher I'm gonna have a methanol injection system so I can stick to pump fuel and daily it I've ported the stock heads a healthy amount soon it will go in and I'll hit the dyno I'm gonna have 2200 stall converter along with a turbo 400 and a 205 trans case in a short box with 3:73 gears soon enough 4:10 but that's just what it is right now anyway I'm hoping for a mid 400 to the ground with 33" tires I think if anything my 650 demon or the 3 speed is gonna kill me I still have high hopes for that mid 400 though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
It seems like you have good comments but please, it's really difficult to read something with no punctuation.
If you had nothing good to say I wouldn't mind so much.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I certainly don't want to be the grammar cop bitch, and I realize that writing with poor or no grammar is somehow cool these days.
Talking **** is one thing but here I think we are trying to exchange ideas and learn something... hell anything.

AzGeo

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand some of the components and specs being given on this build . 11.0 to 1 is high enough to require "special fuel", but not as high as that same fuel will accommodate (12.5 + to 1) .

I would think that building a "street driven hot rod", you would either go "pump gas" or "dialed on kill", not something in between .

IMO, a Thumper cam is offered for "sound effects over top performance", just look at the 'specs' .

I would also like to ask; "at what RPM level will this have 600 HP, and at what RPM will the real torque start" ?

In other words, will this motor make usable power where you need it ?

AzGeo

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You're not really going to run that big stinker on a 2 bolt block? You will exceed 600hp easy with that setup.

I've run a "two bolt motor" with 5 to 8 lbs thru a little Rajay for 500,000 miles, with no failures .

I'm now going to "let it eat", with a GM EFI, intercooler, and this T-6 Garrett .

I'm going to limit it to 5800 and 10 lbs, once the tune up is close there should be no problems .

This blower has an air flow number of 620 HP @ 10 lbs, on 460 cubic inches . This should finally get the exhaust back pressures down .

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

I've run a "two bolt motor" with 5 to 8 lbs thru a little Rajay for 500,000 miles, with no failures .

I'm now going to "let it eat", with a GM EFI, intercooler, and this T-6 Garrett .

I'm going to limit it to 5800 and 10 lbs, once the tune up is close there should be no problems .

This blower has an air flow number of 620 HP @ 10 lbs, on 460 cubic inches . This should finally get the exhaust back pressures down .
Very interesting, thanks for the comments.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Two bolts are not as weak as one would think..

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I've seen BBC 2 bolt mains take 700hp for multiple seasons in a chevelle that was bracket raced. They are tougher than one might think, although I think 700 has got to be close to the limit.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Use studs if you are worried , balance your rotating assembly and have fun

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I use ARP studs in my 468 and turn 7400 no problems, naturally aspirated of course..

TheSquareGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
1985/1982
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm trying to understand some of the components and specs being given on this build . 11.0 to 1 is high enough to require "special fuel", but not as high as that same fuel will accommodate (12.5 + to 1) .

I would think that building a "street driven hot rod", you would either go "pump gas" or "dialed on kill", not something in between .

IMO, a Thumper cam is offered for "sound effects over top performance", just look at the 'specs' .

I would also like to ask; "at what RPM level will this have 600 HP, and at what RPM will the real torque start" ?

In other words, will this motor make usable power where you need it ?
I'm not sure if this comment was directed at me, but if so yes it needs fuel treatment and I went with a methanol injection system. Other than that I can turn my timing back about 28 degrees and run premium. I ran it on the stand obviously it has no load on a stand but it was on 91 and there was no detonation so I should be fairly safe

AzGeo

Reaction score
IMO, it's how and where you make your peak power . Back when I was in the boat business, I worked long and hard to bring "large oval port, cast crank, 3/8" rod 454 motors" up to a "usable power level", and have them live .

NONE of them had 11.0 to 1 compression, that's not pump gas friendly .

I don't think that today's "roller cams" will make much difference on a motor like the ones I built years ago . Those Thumper cams ain't going to do any better, either .

I had an affordable motor combo based on those small port (not peanut port) cast crank motors, that made an honest 510-525 HP @ 6200 RPMs, depending on the external parts used .

Unless you rev up this motor way above the mid 6000's, or run some kind of blower/turbo, it ain't making no 600 HP .

Cylinder pressure makes torque, torque moves the load, use a power adder, and do the job you want to do .

AzGeo

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this comment was directed at me, but if so yes it needs fuel treatment and I went with a methanol injection system. Other than that I can turn my timing back about 28 degrees and run premium. I ran it on the stand obviously it has no load on a stand but it was on 91 and there was no detonation so I should be fairly safe

Do you know what happens when an open chamber BB runs with LATE SPARK TIMING ?

Sure, you could run it lazy pig rich, but why ?

That kind of late timing will burn the exhaust valves out of that normally aspirated motor quicker than you can shut it off .

With all due respect , I don't know who's pissing in your ear, while taking your money, but that "injection system" will not fix your major problem here .

First of all the "Thumper cam" will not breath anywhere near 600HP (without a 10-71). Second, picture yourself driving "steady state" like 20% throttle opening, the motor will see HIGH VACUUM as you cruise down the road .

High vacuum will tell the "injection system" that the motor is not under LOAD, and to not operate .

Meanwhile, you are driving down a flat road at 2500 RPMs with only 28 degrees of spark advance .

HALF of your flame travel is going out the exhaust valve ! This heats up the valves and "tulips" them into their graves .

Then add that to the fact that the A/F is actually PINGING/DIESELING even under a light load, because it is less OCTANE than the heat and cylinder pressures required at that time .

While the valves are being killed, you could also be melting the pistons down and sticking the ring lands .

For a street driven vehicle, you need to have a viable normally driven motor, and then you need to adjust your tune up to that same motor under loads .

With the variables in today's "fuel at the pump", I'm building motors and combinations that deal with all those variables .

I suggest that you do too .

TheSquareGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
1985/1982
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Do you know what happens when an open chamber BB runs with LATE SPARK TIMING ?

Sure, you could run it lazy pig rich, but why ?

That kind of late timing will burn the exhaust valves out of that normally aspirated motor quicker than you can shut it off .

With all due respect , I don't know who's pissing in your ear, while taking your money, but that "injection system" will not fix your major problem here .

First of all the "Thumper cam" will not breath anywhere near 600HP (without a 10-71). Second, picture yourself driving "steady state" like 20% throttle opening, the motor will see HIGH VACUUM as you cruise down the road .

High vacuum will tell the "injection system" that the motor is not under LOAD, and to not operate .

Meanwhile, you are driving down a flat road at 2500 RPMs with only 28 degrees of spark advance .

HALF of your flame travel is going out the exhaust valve ! This heats up the valves and "tulips" them into their graves .

Then add that to the fact that the A/F is actually PINGING/DIESELING even under a light load, because it is less OCTANE than the heat and cylinder pressures required at that time .

While the valves are being killed, you could also be melting the pistons down and sticking the ring lands .

For a street driven vehicle, you need to have a viable normally driven motor, and then you need to adjust your tune up to that same motor under loads .

With the variables in today's "fuel at the pump", I'm building motors and combinations that deal with all those variables .

I suggest that you do too .
I meant 15 degrees yet still having down sides obviously, its not the optimal way to run the motor yet it'll work in a situation in which the injection system cannot be used, the injection system will not be ran off of vacuum rather a tps so its going off of throttle position. And I'm not gonna be getting 600 HP I know that I think that might have been someone else's post. I'd be getting mid 500s and I have a lunati voodoo not some thumpr pos.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Turbos are where it's at these days. Or even a Procharger. Blowers are old school these days.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
You're not really going to run that big stinker on a 2 bolt block? You will exceed 600hp easy with that setup.

A lot of reading out there says 2 bolt blocks better if you spade em

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8