383 Vortec/TBI Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Yeah, there was lots of discussion on my cam choice earlier in the thread. I know it's not the perfect cam for a 383, but I'm using the 1.6 rockers to at least get a little more lift. And this motor is not going to be a high revving speed demon, just want it to have a bit more low end grunt. Throttle body I'm using (46mm) and injectors will also be a limiting factor.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yeah, there was lots of discussion on my cam choice earlier in the thread. I know it's not the perfect cam for a 383, but I'm using the 1.6 rockers to at least get a little more lift. And this motor is not going to be a high revving speed demon, just want it to have a bit more low end grunt. Throttle body I'm using (46mm) and injectors will also be a limiting factor.

the stock LT4 cam is was just a 315 hp cam so its not a screamer but would be a nice compliment for a 383, you can usually find them descent priced.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Yeah I took a look at the specs and it would definitely be better on duration. Lift would be better too but if I kept the 1.6 ratio rockers I would be better off changing springs (see MikeB's post above). LSA is actually tighter on the L31 cam tho. Definitely something to consider for the future but probably won't happen at this stage. I added that one to my spreadsheet I've been keeping of GM cam specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Last remaining concern on valve train is pushrod hole clearance. Pushrod not centered with 1.6 rockers. Is this too close?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ide open them holes up and put guide plates in but those are press in studs so that won't work.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Easy remedy, put in screw in studs, lol.... And yes that hole needs to be opened up some..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Easy remedy, put in screw in studs, lol.... And yes that hole needs to be opened up some..
Yes, but that should have been done before they were bolted on. Lol but then again he isn't running high spring pressure either.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Those push rods make me giggle they are almost cute........almost:uhoh2:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes, but that should have been done before they were bolted on. Lol but then again he isn't running high spring pressure either.
Yep, should have but no biggie to pull em back off either, lol.. Doubt he'll ever pull one out, but still nice to have guide plates though..

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
I guess I'm missing the joke on my pushrods....

I'm not too worried about lack of screw-in studs and guide plates. My rockers are self-guiding and the springs are stock. Least of my worries right now. Maybe some day....

Too risky to open the holes up with the heads still on? Even with lots of rags placed to catch the cuttings? If I take them off I can reuse the gaskets right? What about the bolts? Vortecs from the factory may have been installed torque-to-yield, but I just used new Fel-Pro bolts and torqued them increments of 20 to 70 fl-lbs.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

I'm not too worried about lack of screw-in studs and guide plates. My rockers are self-guiding and the springs are stock. Least of my worries right now. Maybe some day....

Too risky to open the holes up with the heads still on? Even with lots of rags placed to catch the cuttings? If I take them off I can reuse the gaskets right? What about the bolts? Vortecs from the factory may have been installed torque-to-yield, but I just used new Fel-Pro bolts and torqued them increments of 20 to 70 fl-lbs.

Believe he is used to thicker push rods for other engines. I wouldnt risk it for the cost of gaskets and bolts your risking your entire engine.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

No on the gaskets. And if they are stretch bolt no on reusing them as well. The joke is they are tiny. I'm used to messing with atleast 3/8" push rods and of different lengths. The ones in my engine are 7/16" that's all, it's a big block thing but on later big blocks they used 5/16" ones too.

Last edited:

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies. No worries on the pushrod joke - figured that's what it was. Yeah they're just vortec stockers. My machinist said they'd be just fine for my build so I went with them.

I drilled out the pushrod holes in the heads - left them on the block when I did it. No offense to anyone that recommended against that. I 100% agree it would have been better to take them off, but I took a calculated risk. Won't know for sure until I fire it up, but I think it turned out OK. Stuffed every hole in lifter gallery (and intake ports) with blue shop towels, packed in a bunch of rags on top, then cardboard to fit, and duct taped the cardboard to the heads. Lots of shop vac and magnet time in between and afterward, lots of cleaning. Magnet comes out clean now. For better or worse.....

Got the entire valve train installed and adjusted tonight, too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1