383 Vortec/TBI Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I agree, but if you have to grind it don't let it get hot keep dipping it in water.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Thanks fellas. I just ordered what I'm pretty sure is correct length ARP stud kit on Amazon. $9 shipped, probably best all around plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks fellas. I just ordered what I'm pretty sure is correct length ARP stud kit on Amazon. $9 shipped, probably best all around plan.

Yes, most definitely..

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Yes, use the 1.6 rockers if your heads can handle the lift. Check carefully because on some Vortec heads the spring retainers will hit the guide seals at .450" lift. Really. Also, the pushrods may rub the edge of their guide holes. Maybe neither will be an issue with the very low lift of the stock cam.

So what's best way to check this stuff? I was just going to install two lifters/pushrods/rockers as a mockup and then get each to full lift and check coil bind with a feeler gage but the lifters won't be pumped up and solid. That will affect my measurement correct? I think I can take those two apart and replace springs with washers to make them solid? What tool do you need to take apart lifters? Needle nose pliers do it? I'm using used, stock oem vortec rollers.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I use old solid lifters for mock up..

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
I don't have any solids, unfortunately. Not sure where I could even get a couple of solid rollers.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Bummer, I used to have a few laying around but they got in the way and I **** canned them just kept two for myself.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So what's best way to check this stuff? I was just going to install two lifters/pushrods/rockers as a mockup and then get each to full lift and check coil bind with a feeler gage but the lifters won't be pumped up and solid. That will affect my measurement correct? I think I can take those two apart and replace springs with washers to make them solid? What tool do you need to take apart lifters? Needle nose pliers do it? I'm using used, stock oem vortec rollers.

Don't worry about coil bind because retainers will hit seals first. Also, I have seen solid lifters with different cup height than corresponding hydraulics.

To determine how far the valve will move before the retainer hits the seal, I typically remove the valve spring and install a light test spring. (If heads are already installed, bring the piston up so the valve won't drop into the cylinder. Or stuff some rope in the spark plug hole.) If you don't have a test spring you can simply pull upwards on the retainer to hold the valve closed while you or a helper take the measurement with a 6" machinist ruler or possibly calipers. Do at least one intake and one exhaust valve per head. You may find a .020"-.030" variance. I did.

On my Vortecs, the seals weren't pressed on fully, so I tapped them down another .050" or so using a socket and an old seal. What you want to end up with is .050"-.060" safety margin. For example, if the cam gives you .450" lift at the valve, you'd want at least .500" valve travel. I was able to get around .510" travel as I recall. I later went to LS6 beehive springs and Comp Cams retainers & locks to end up with around .560" -- good enough for .510" valve lift. The difference is due to the Comp cams retainer sitting higher on the valve.

Valve fully open. Pull up on retainer and measure how far it travels.
You must be registered for see images

If necessary, tap down seals using a socket and old seal to get .050"-.060" safety margin.
You must be registered for see images

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Don't worry about coil bind because retainers will hit seals first. Also, I have seen solid lifters with different cup height than corresponding hydraulics.

To determine how far the valve will move before the retainer hits the seal, I typically remove the valve spring and install a light test spring. (If heads are already installed, bring the piston up so the valve won't drop into the cylinder. Or stuff some rope in the spark plug hole.) If you don't have a test spring you can simply pull upwards on the retainer to hold the valve closed while you or a helper take the measurement with a 6" machinist ruler or possibly calipers. Do at least one intake and one exhaust valve per head. You may find a .020"-.030" variance. I did.

On my Vortecs, the seals weren't pressed on fully, so I tapped them down another .050" or so using a socket and an old seal. What you want to end up with is .050"-.060" safety margin. For example, if the cam gives you .450" lift at the valve, you'd want at least .500" valve travel. I was able to get around .510" travel as I recall. I later went to LS6 beehive springs and Comp Cams retainers & locks to end up with around .560" -- good enough for .510" valve lift. The difference is due to the Comp cams retainer sitting higher on the valve.

Excellent, thanks. All makes pretty good sense to me. So if the valves pass this clearance test, I won't have to worry about the coil bind?

Guess I'm finally going to get to use my valve spring compressor that a friend gave me a while back.

Heads aren't installed yet - kind of nice to be able to do this test without them being installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Not a lot of progress this weekend. Installed the cam and timing gear, pretty much it.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size

Thanks for the help. Did what you suggested tonight and took some valve springs off to measure. I'm getting at least 0.55" travel on the five I checked, some are closer to 0.60" I'm thinking I should be good. I still plan to take a look at coil bind, just in case. However I'll do it at final assembly and just try to account for the additional lift they'll experience when the lifters are pumped up. Any guesses on how much a typical hyd lifter will give when it's not charged?

Last edited:

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Cleaned up my used Vortec valve train parts tonight. Cylinder heads are ready to install and now valve train is too.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
More progress today - got the cylinder heads on and valve train for cylinders 1 and 2 so I could look at coil bind. Looks pretty good, I think. Starting to look like a real engine!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Thanks for the info. Found a grade 8 machine bolt with flanged, hex head today. I think I'm supposed to have 2 3/8" length this is 2 1/2" so just slightly too long - bottoms out on the bearing just barely not tightening the pump. I should be able to grind an 1/8" off and be good to go?
Zip disc would be better, with a bucket of water right there to keep cooling it. Faster and less heat than grinding.

Or, a bottoming tap.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!