350 swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corley.david

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I have a 1985 K10 Silverado that had a 305 in it. I am assuming it was the stock motor as it had very low compression. I purchased a used 350 that came out of a old Chevrolet Winnebago. Ended up being a good low mileage 4 bolt. So got it all cleaned up and put into the truck. The transmission I assume is a 700r4 as it has 16 bolts and MD8 on the side of it. The problem I have is now that it is in the truck and the transmission is mated with the engine, my torque converter/flex plate bolts do not line up. I am assuming that the Winnebago it came out of had a much larger transmission. THe bolts are off by 1/8th of an inch or maybe a little more. I have spun the flywheel all the way around to check each hole. I still have the old stock 305 that I pulled out. Can I use the flex plate/flywheel off the 305? I am confused on the entire internally/externally balanced or how to know if this is something that is going to cause problems. I did notice that on the 305 (old motor) the flex plate has holds partially drilled into it in a straight line. Not sure if this means it is balanced to the engine of just a balanced flexplate. I may be overthinking this but I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited:

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If both engines have the 2 piece rear main seals, the flex plates should interchange. Lay one on top of the other to double check. I think they both should have 153 teeth. They need to be the same for starter to work. New flexplates aren't very expensive and would be another option.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Unless the camper had a th400 and the 168 tooth and the 6 bolt converter.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Gonna have to change the flex plate, one on the 305 should have both bolt patterns so it should work..

corley.david

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
What about the balancing issue? If I use the plate off the 305 on the 350 is this gonna cause a balance issue?

corley.david

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks for all the help. I will swap them out and see how it goes.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Anytime, let us know how it turns out..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member