350 does after warming up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unclebensracig

Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 vortec
Needing some input can't figure out. Have a 81 c10 with 96 vortec engine with edelbrock carb. Truck cranks fine but after warming up just dies doesn't spit or sputter just dies then for couple of mins hard to start then fires up runs for a few then just dies. Put fuel pressure gauge holding 7psi steady replaced fuel pump. Just lost please help

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
More history would help.

Was this an issue that started as a minor annoyance and slowly deteriorated until you are where you are now? Or did you wake up one day to go to work and couldn't get there?

Any recent repairs or modifications?

What diagnostics have you done already?

Is there a proper spark at the plugs throughout the stall/run good cycle?

Any possibility of a restricted exhaust system (e.g. a fouled catalytic converter).

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I would say make sure your fuel line from the pump to the carb is not getting hotter than it normally would (i.e. high proximity to your exhaust manifold/header). That's just to make sure you don't vapor lock. My bet is on the ignition control module starting to fail. Pull that thing out, take it to an auto parts store, and have them test it. Welcome to the forum, by the way. I'm a Louisianian seven months out of the year and a Mississippian the other five, but I was born and raised in Mississippi.

Unclebensracig

Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 vortec
No literally started just one day. No modifications since owned. Thought it was fuel pump because pressure was fluctuating between 4-7. New pump holds constant 7psi. When it's running there is no hesitation or or sputtering just literally is running fine then does once it hits normal operating temp. Exhaust is dual flows no converters.

Unclebensracig

Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 vortec
I would say make sure your fuel line from the pump to the carb is not getting hotter than it normally would (i.e. high proximity to your exhaust manifold/header). That's just to make sure you don't vapor lock. My bet is on the ignition control module starting to fail. Pull that thing out, take it to an auto parts store, and have them test it. Welcome to the forum, by the way. I'm a Louisianian seven months out of the year and a Mississippian the other five, but I was born and raised in Mississippi.

Changed out icm no change. As far as vapor lock could be I guess but seems like that would be a constant issue not a sporadic one huh?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, it would happen every time your engine got hot, but you would have noticed it after your initial engine swap or after making a modification to your fuel line if you're not using a Quadrajet with a pre-bent steel line. It wouldn't have been random like that.

Unclebensracig

Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 vortec
Well, it would happen every time your engine got hot, but you would have noticed it after your initial engine swap or after making a modification to your fuel line if you're not using a Quadrajet with a pre-bent steel line. It wouldn't have been random like that.

Ok well don't believe it's that because I have driven it miles before with no problem. Just started one day.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Objectively, unless your carburetor is going wrong with how it's metering fuel, it's either an air or a spark issue. Air is just making sure your filter is good, and you don't have vacuum leaks around whatever emissions equipment/emissions vacuum lines you have plus the carb base gasket and intake gasket. If all those things have been ruled out, you're still looking at ignition. Have you tested your pickup coil? I'd think that coil over the HEI coil. You can test both, though, with a multimeter, but the pickup coil test is only most conclusive with it out of the distributor, which you gotta take the distributor out. Let me find you some videos that I used. When I was diagnosing issues, I tested my HEI coil and found that it had dead spots in the conductive surface so I replaced it with a BWD unit from O'Reilly's with good results. I'd test that first to rule it out, and if need be, bite the bullet and dig into the pickup coil test.
[yt]SEOdRoeS4mk[/yt]

[yt]s9QqlKuiBF0[/yt]

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I think this is the key question:

Is there a proper spark at the plugs throughout the stall/run good cycle?

Pull a plug, reconnect it to the plug wire and ground the plug body to the block with a jumper wire. When you are all set up, start the motor, lean over the fender and monitor the plug for a robust spark. Best done at night or in a dark garage.

Watch carefully and attempt to determine if:

1. The engine stalls and then the spark is lost . Or:

2. The spark is lost and then the engine rolls to a stop.

It might be difficult to tell, but it might not. As an example:

On an impending close play at first, the umpire looks only at the bag. It isn't possible for him to watch the 1st baseman catch the ball and then look down to see if the runner got there before the ball. So, to determine whether the runner is safe or out, he watches only for the the runner's foot to hit the bag. At the same time, he is listening for the sound of the ball hitting the first baseman's glove. Which happens first may be separated by only a few hundredths of a second, but the mind can perceive even the slightest time differential.

The spark might continue to arc across the electrode gap even as you sense that the stall condition has started. With a fuel flow problem, the engine still has sufficient inertia to keep rolling along fast enough for the HEI system to produce a spark - at least for a short period of time. So, if the engine starts to quit but you still get a couple sparks before it grinds to a complete stop...think fuel flow problem.

If, while you are watching the spark, it is suddenly lost - gone and then you sense the stall has begun... that would point to an ignition issue.

A sure sign of an ignition problem would be: The engine is ticking over fine and then - even before you sense any sign of a stall coming on - you observe the spark slowly start to weaken, turn yellow and then finally die out. If it is only then that the engine stops rotating...ignition was lost.

Fuel flow problems associated with carbureted systems and mechanical fuel pumps generally don't ramp up to this level overnight. They usually develop slowly and are often intermittent in the beginning. Also, since fuel flow requirements are lowest at idle, that would make a fuel issue even less suspect. Since you have confirmed proper fuel pressure right to the point of stall, about the only thing that comes to mind as far as possible fuel causes would be air ingress into the fuel pump suction side.

If you still have a gut feeling that it is fuel related, do a flow test. Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor inlet, connect a length of hose to it and run the other end of the hose into the bottom of a coffee can/glass jar, etc. Start the engine and keep it running on ether for 1 minute.

You should end up with about a quart of gas in the container. But that's about volume. To check for air, it's more important is to watch the end of the hose as the incoming gas is discharged under the level in the can. You shouldn't be able to notice any surface disturbance other than maybe a little swirling. If you note the presence of air bubbling up out of the hose...there is a leak in the suction side of the pump.

Oh yeah, if during the volume test, you find that you can keep the engine running as long as you keep it supplied with ether...it is a fuel issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody