3 wire o2 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Now both of us have a useless part.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yup!!!!..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I don't think I'll do it whenever I switch to headers. The theory behind it makes perfect sense, but if it didn't do anything in practice, I won't even bother. I wonder why you have that Code 44, Art. I did the base gasket on mine, and it wasn't even bad, but I noticed a nice little improvement in idle quality. Or maybe EGR.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I I wonder why you have that Code 44, Art. I did the base gasket on mine, and it wasn't even bad, but I noticed a nice little improvement in idle quality. Or maybe EGR.
Beats the hell out of me, but I noticed at idle if you barely touch the throttle it'll stumble like a carb with not enough pump shot, and at certain rpm's it'll surge, so there is something wrong somewhere...

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have noticed in my scanner that the ecm goes back to open loop at idle when the truck is warm and have read the true duals and no cat is the reason.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mine is factory single.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have full length headers, no cats and, dual 40 series flowmasters, no codes. Idles fine, runs like a raped ape and smooth idle.

I just have the useless heater o2 sensor that I was informed was absolutely necessary.

As far as your stumble and surging Art...possible a distributor issue or ignition? I have heard over time the distributor on these truck wear out causing timing jumps.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Long ago, I put headers and duals on my Burb and ran the stock single wire sensor and it was fine. I also ran a 180 stat which everybody always says you can't do with TBI. It was a daily driver, all year round. I ended up putting a heated sensor in after a while, mostly to see what it did. Well, it didn't do much. In very cold weather, it goes into closed loop sooner, but that's it.

So does it make an improvement? Not really. You certainly don't NEED it like some guys say. Oh yeah, and needing a 190 stat is complete BS too. Even a 160 works fine, but heat output suffers slightly.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
As far as your stumble and surging Art...possible a distributor issue or ignition? I have heard over time the distributor on these truck wear out causing timing jumps.
Yeah, that did go through my mind so I put my light on it and timing was smooth up and down the rpm range, or at any given rpm never jumped around??... I was wondering though, what about the TPS are they adjustable or stationary??, if it's out of adjustment that could throw things off wouldn't it???, I'm just fishing here don't have a clue on this ****, lol..

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Stick a multimeter probe on tps and see if the voltage is in a smooth movement from about 0.5 to 4.5/5v

Yeah, that did go through my mind so I put my light on it and timing was smooth up and down the rpm range, or at any given rpm never jumped around??... I was wondering though, what about the TPS are they adjustable or stationary??, if it's out of adjustment that could throw things off wouldn't it???, I'm just fishing here don't have a clue on this ****, lol..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1