3 speed to 5speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'll sell the "4 speed" or give it away im not sure if it a a very popular tranny and have to save up and go tremec

They're still a popular trans with the right group. The sm465 has a rep as being virtually bullit proof, and was found behind almost any engine gm put in these trucks. Pricing kinda depends on demand in your area though. They tend to be somewhat common, so that holds it down. The last one I picked up, I got for $50. And that was a later 32 spline output 4x4 unit. I sold the 2wd sm465 I had for $50 too. On the other hand, I've seen them listed for $150 before, so it's kinda wide open on resale value.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Shouldn’t be too hard to find a NV3500 from a 97-07 2wd Silverado

I recently swapped in a 3500 to replace the SM465 four speed

Mine was 4wd so harder to find
And Chevy didn’t put the 3500 behind the 5.3 only behind the 4.8 but it’s held up fine behind a 5.3 with 35” tires and a teenage boy driving it

And it’s a blast to bang thru the gears
We ran it with the old 350 for a while then swapped in an LS 5.3

Think we used the existing crossmsmber and mount from the four speed

Your biggest job is going to be the hydraulic clutch

I used a stock square body mc and used all thread to mount it to the firewall so I had some adjustment and I just drilled a hole in the clutch pedal and bolted the mc rod to the pedal

I bought a new slave throw out and had a local hydraulics shop make the hose
They cut off the weird connector on the slave and welded on a threaded connector they had in stock and made a flex hose to run to the mc

If your clutch pedal pivot up top is worn out behind a bushing repair
I discovered that the brake pedal from an automatic will work if you cut off the bottom of the pedal and discard it and flip
Over the top half
Then bolt the bottom half of your old clutch pedal to the flipped over top half of the automatic brake pedal
Also when you are mounting the mc
Cut the large hole first and get it where you want it and then use the mc mounting holes as a guide for drilling the bolt holes in the firewall
Don’t try to drill all three holes at once

Last edited:

Douglas Williams

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Dam that does sound like a bit of work but if I want more then 3 gears I guess I have to put on the work

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
I'll sell the "4 speed" or give it away im not sure if it a a very popular tranny and have to save up and go tremec
they are still very popular for offroad and rock crawling. the low gears are great for it. btw I have the same 350, sm465 granny 4spd combo you have. Id love overdrive but I dig it as is.

Douglas Williams

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Im ok with it for now but the highway speeds here are 80mph and 4 years and gonna cut it when it becomes summer

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No one has suggested an LS swap yet?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How about a Ranger Overdrive?

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dam that does sound like a bit of work but if I want more then 3 gears I guess I have to put on the work

I have the dodge / Jeep version , the NV-3550 in my 74 Bronco

The ratio spread is perfect

The dodge Jeep version was available with a normal mechanical clutch linkage amd a removable bell housing and some places sell adapters to bolt it to ford bell housing

Not sure if anyone sells a adapter to bolt it to a Chevy bell but advance adapters might

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8