3 speed to 5speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Douglas Williams

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 74 long bed with 350 and 3 speed on the floor with the granny gear , I am thinking of purchasing a 5LM60 out of a camaro to swap in, my question is in regards to bell housings, shift lever, drive shaft, and tranny mount. Has anyone does this conversion or know where I can find any info on what parts I'll need to install this transmission

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
not sure what a 5lm60 is. quick google search seems to think its the same as an nv3500? is that true?

my truck currently has a broke ass nv4500 in it. think the truck was originally a 4 speed. not sure how close the trans your using is the the 4500 but basically the hole in the floor had to be cut a bit further back like an inch or 2.

as for mounts im not sure i assume the trans mount had to be moved back but thats not a real big deal.

i dont think you will have bell housing issues as far as i know the nv4500 is the only odd ball trans that wont mount to normal bellhousings because i get lucky like that. so i would assume that trans will bolt up but again not sure what a 5lm60 is.

id also assume you will have to have your driveshaft modified but thats just a guess.

hopefully someone with more knowledge thank me can chime in and give you better info.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What year Camaro. Would this be a Borg Warner T5?

Douglas Williams

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It is out of a 90 camaro and im not 100% sure but it is a 5 speed I believe an nv3500

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I have never heard of the nv3500 being used in cars. They were very common in the 1/2 ton gm trucks for a while, and Jeep used them for several years in the wrangler models, before they went to a six speed. They were desidned as a half ton truck trans and iirc, have a tendancy to be kinda noisy. Not typically something you want to have in a car.

Douglas Williams

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The guy selling the tranny said it was a 5LM60 so I googled it and I kept getting a nv3500 referance to the 5LM im not sure if the designation changed thru the years or my Google search wasn't a good one

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm not huge on F-body knowledge, but I'm thinking bucket's right, and it should be a t5

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
There's always the chance the guy selling it has no idea wtf it is too.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Double post

Douglas Williams

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Im thinking it a a t5 as well i guess if I buy it its just gonna be roll of the dice for the bell housing...just didn't wanna get in too deep buying it and realizing it wont work

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Im thinking it a a t5 as well i guess if I buy it its just gonna be roll of the dice for the bell housing...just didn't wanna get in too deep buying it and realizing it wont work

I don't ever recall the t5 being known as a very strong transmission, iirc they wouldn't offer it behind the 350 because of that. You might be better off to look for the nv3500 instead.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's a T5 then. If it's from a V6 car, you don't want it. Even the V8 unit is not that strong. '90 is electric speedo sender, but the old style gear drive can be swapped on for a cable speedo. The bellhousing will work, but it tilts the trans to one side, like 18 degrees or something.

Douglas Williams

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No i dont need that at all I'll have to work another angle got word of a guy selling a 454 with a 4 speed to go with it maybe the better route and get rid of the tired 350 I got now

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The 4 speed is apt to be the same trans you have now. It is technically a 3speed with a creeper gear like you called it, but they're more commonly refered to as 4 speeds.

Douglas Williams

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'll sell the "4 speed" or give it away im not sure if it a a very popular tranny and have to save up and go tremec

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400