???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dylan mcadams

Reaction score
First Name
dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have a 86 c10 with a stock 4 barrel 305 I recently sadly put it on its side
Now the choke is constantly on when running even if I unplug it and all flaps in the carb are closed if I open either it wants to die does anyone have a clue what's going on?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Okay, so are we talking about a bone stock 305 here with electric choke? You need to check the choke lead for 12V with a multimeter or a test light (key on) to isolate whether it’s an electrical problem or a mechanical problem. We can get into the nitty gritty of the choke circuit if no voltage is found. There’s no need to open the secondaries for the purpose of these diagnostics, though.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Ditto to @1987 GMC Jimmy, those chokes need constant power when running, then they'll slowly open as the motor warns up

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
With no power to the choke the choke flap will be all the way closed making your truck run terrible or probably not even at all. You need key on 12v to the choke like stated above. If you need to drive it and need a quick fix you can wire it open, but if it gets cold it won’t want to run good when you start it so you’ll have to sit and baby it.

But it’s an easy fix anyways. If you don’t have power there, check your fuse. If that’s good you have a break in the wire somewhere. It runs in the harness on the back of the motor so you can either trace it and pull it out from there or you can make a new circuit from the ignition slot in the fuse block and some wire and a fuse holder, you’ll also need to splice the orignal connector to the carb in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL