205 very hard to shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheLastViking

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
'79
Truck Model
K10 shortbed on 1 tons
Engine Size
Huge amount of resistance when shifting. It's so hard that you can't feel it go into gear. I just got this truck, and haven't been able to crawl underneath it to see what the problem is due to inclement weather. I couldn't tell it it was in 2high, so to get it home, I had to pull the shifter all the way back into 4high, and disconnect the front driveshaft (due to a broken u-joint). Anything I should look for before getting to work?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Possible mismatched front and rear gears or tire height can make it hard to shift. Low fluid can also be a factor. Trying to get any transfer case out of 4wd on dry pavement and be a real bitch. Sometimes with mine I have to back up a few feet, while still rolling pop the trans in neutral and quickly smack the shifter to get it out of 4wd.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not sure where you live but if the temps are below freezing and the wrong oil is used in the transfer case it could cause horrible shifting too.

TheLastViking

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
'79
Truck Model
K10 shortbed on 1 tons
Engine Size
Just went out and screwed with it. Feels like the shift linkage is really tight. I'll start by taking the boot off and getting a good look.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I was going to say. try to separate if it is where the lever pivots or if it has something to do with where the shafts come out of the case.

TheLastViking

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
'79
Truck Model
K10 shortbed on 1 tons
Engine Size
Not sure where you live but if the temps are below freezing and the wrong oil is used in the transfer case it could cause horrible shifting too.

About 5 hours south of you. It was well below zero on the drive home. Heater wasn't working either. Made for a miserable ride.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The shifter pivot bolt may need cleaned/greased.

TheLastViking

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
'79
Truck Model
K10 shortbed on 1 tons
Engine Size
Thanks for the tips everyone. Lots of great info here, and a much friendlier crowd than the internet rangers on pirate4X4.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I have nothing to add beyond the suggestions previously mentioned. Just wanted to say welcome to the forum (insert pirate middle finger smiley here)! Just kidding...:cheers: Everybody here seems to be very nice and willing to help. I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum.

Let us know what you find out about your issue. Mine has been difficult to shift too. I just took my case out for a rebuild, which I have been planning on doing for quite some time. Found a little water in the case. It wasn't a lot of water, and I don't think it was causing any issues, but it was due for a rebuild. I am hoping a refresh will help with the shifting. New bearings and seals never hurt anybody either. This is what my case currently looks like. Yes, I am super OCD about laying my parts out and labeling them. But it does make the reassembly process a little easier for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have nothing to add beyond the suggestions previously mentioned. Just wanted to say welcome to the forum (insert pirate middle finger smiley here)! Just kidding...:cheers: Everybody here seems to be very nice and willing to help. I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum.

Let us know what you find out about your issue. Mine has been difficult to shift too. I just took my case out for a rebuild, which I have been planning on doing for quite some time. Found a little water in the case. It wasn't a lot of water, and I don't think it was causing any issues, but it was due for a rebuild. I am hoping a refresh will help with the shifting. New bearings and seals never hurt anybody either. This is what my case currently looks like. Yes, I am super OCD about laying my parts out and labeling them. But it does make the reassembly process a little easier for me.

Wow, clean and tidy! I also noticed your tools nicely set out on the bench. Those are good habits :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat