2007+ Silverado questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
So as much as I don’t wanna do it I’m going to sell my dually and upgrade to a newer truck that’s a little more reliable and does a little better on gas. Anyways I have a few questions for you guys

1: what years are better than others and what should I look for. I know they started using the 6 speed in 09 or 10 but that’s about all I know

2: as far as leveling kits go are they all the same? Does it matter which one I buy? I was thinking about rough country because it’s cheapest but I also know that the 4” bds lift on my dads cummins made it ride better than stock. So theirs is an option too.

3: is there anything else I should know about these trucks? I’m looking to keep it relatively stock for now just a level with some wheels and tires to make it look a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
If you get it with cyl shutdown delete it hard one everything and will eventually caiuse severe oil consumption

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
If you get it with cyl shutdown delete it hard one everything and will eventually caiuse severe oil consumption
do you know what year that started in?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
07 but dont think you want a first yr nnbs i think the only way to get without it is base model I like my ltzs so I'd Go with a 10+ for the air conditioned seats

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Only issue ive had with our 08 tahoe weve had for a yr is the purge control solinoid 50$ easy fix with a lift could be done without and tpms sensors

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I wouldn't buy anything from 07-08. That was the bankruptcy "Government Motors" years. The GMT900 was rushed to market on a budget of 0 at the end.

Also, DOD engines tend to have lifter failures between 150k and 200k. A tune can turn off the function, my 07 Trailblazer got deleted at 140,000 and I owned it until 230k.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Thats a big time LS swap haha. I would also go with a mid cycle model and include a custom tune as part of the purchase price just to squeeze a little potential out, get rid of the torque management delay and delete any emissions related stuff that may cost you money down the road. You can add intake and exhaust mods later and the tune will already be in place.

Some people like AFM and DOD some dont. I thought deleting AFM and DOD required tearing the motor open?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Thats a big time LS swap haha. I would also go with a mid cycle model and include a custom tune as part of the purchase price just to squeeze a little potential out, get rid of the torque management delay and delete any emissions related stuff that may cost you money down the road. You can add intake and exhaust mods later and the tune will already be in place.

Some people like AFM and DOD some dont. I thought deleting AFM and DOD required tearing the motor open?

If you turn it off in the tune, it solves the problem of lifter failure, as long as you keep the RPM down. If you want to go over 6k, swapping in regular lifters would be prudent.

I never noticed a difference in economy on my Trailblazer from killing it, it did stop drinking oil though. Any time I'd accelerate out of cruise it would blow a fairly good sized puff of smoke lol.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
What tuner did you use a buddy and I are in the market

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
If you turn it off in the tune, it solves the problem of lifter failure, as long as you keep the RPM down. If you want to go over 6k, swapping in regular lifters would be prudent.

I never noticed a difference in economy on my Trailblazer from killing it, it did stop drinking oil though. Any time I'd accelerate out of cruise it would blow a fairly good sized puff of smoke lol.
I have HP Tuners Pro, it's more than paid for itself in VATs deletes and whatnot.
Just wanted to confirm what @Jrgunn5150 said. I have an 07 Burb. It came with the DOD/AFM bull crap on it. We bought the burb 8 years ago with 108k on it. At 135k we experienced the lifter failure right as I was getting ready to have my burb tuned. After that was all resolved I had mine tuned by BlackBear. Amongst other improvements I also had the DOD/AFM garbage tuned out and it's made a night and day difference. No more oil consumption and virtually no other issues since then and we're about to roll over 200k.

I know most say to avoid the 07-08 years but our 07 has been pretty good for us aside from the lifter failure issue.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
When it comes to LS tunes go with EFI Live or HP Tuners if you are want to DIY. If you want do a tune by mail use Frost or Blackbear. Canned tunes from a Diablo or superchips are a waste.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yeah, on further conteplation, if by tuner you mean, like Diablo or Hypertech... You don't want that crap.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
When it comes to LS tunes go with EFI Live or HP Tuners if you are want to DIY. If you want do a tune by mail use Frost or Blackbear. Canned tunes from a Diablo or superchips are a waste.
Yeah, on further conteplation, if by tuner you mean, like Diablo or Hypertech... You don't want that crap.
x1,000 on both these :waytogo:

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
x1,000 on both these :waytogo:
I did some research on the tuning and I definitely don’t want an out of the box tune. I was thinking about going with black bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito