2 or 4 inch suspension lift??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chiaramonte2011

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
i have a 1985 GMC 1500 pick up. Just want some input on what you guys think is better, a 2 or 4 inch lift from rough country.. Price is not much different..
How much will the ride change? will i have to make any changes the the truck itself?
Thanks for your input!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What's the planned use and tire size? If you just want it a little higher for looks, I'd go with the 2 inch. It will ride a little better than the 4, but both will ride rougher than stock unless you spend more money on a different brand.

chiaramonte2011

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
i want it mostly for looks, not sure on tire size yet, i would say 33.. What other good brands are out there??

Thank you for the response!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There aren't really any "bad" brands out there, but Rough Country, Rancho and Pro Comp are all fairly stiff. Tuff Country and BDS ride similar to (if not better than) stock, while Superlift and Skyjacker are somewhere in between.

Just depends on how much you are willing to spend and how much you want good ride quality.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pro Comp IS bloody stiff lol. I'm looking to sell my Pro Comp possibly this year to swap out for Tuff Country.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My buddy just bought a truck with Pro Comp springs, I'd say the ride is just a tad more stiff than my '86 that has stock springs with a leaf added in.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My buddy just bought a truck with Pro Comp springs, I'd say the ride is just a tad more stiff than my '86 that has stock springs with a leaf added in.

Mine is stiff enough that hitting pot holes is enough to jar you lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine is stiff enough that hitting pot holes is enough to jar you lol.

Yeah, same with the truck my buddy just bought. It's not my cup of tea either, but some people don't care if a truck rides really rough. But I like to drink my coffee on the go.

Iceman3228

Reaction score
First Name
Bryce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 ls
4 inch shackle flip in the rear from offroad design, with their springs in the front will ride amazing. Well worth the $$$

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i want it mostly for looks, not sure on tire size yet, i would say 33.. What other good brands are out there??

Thank you for the response!
For 33's I'd go 4 inch. I don't think I'd go more than that though. Once you pass that 4 inch threshhold it's time to start considering things like extending driveshafts and even crossover steering.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Meh.

I had a 2 inch Rough Country and hated it. 2 inches will clear 33x12.50 R15s NP.
A 4 inch lift costs more and I think lots of ppl get away without "modding" anything else LIKE steering linkages and/or driveshafts to run 35s.
I think more proper to run 35s is a 6inch lift that DOES require the afore mentioned "mods".
But thet's not really the question or IS it? o_O

That said, a 4 inch lift is "meh" :imo:

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I actually DID FIND a problem with a 4 inch lift.
Two more inches up and 1inch on both sides of the tire would have prohibited me from clearing the ceiling in a parking garage downtown that I was/am forced to use.

PLUS! I could still get in and out of it without those little step dealys. What do they call em?

Hope this helps!

You must be registered for see images attach

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
4in rough country complete spring lift with 35x12.50s, I had to extend brake lines front and back and get the correct steering arm so nothing was binding. I'm glad I didn't go with 6in, didn't really need it, and my truck is already a heavy truck ride stiffness wasn't a big concern for me. All in all I spent around $800ish on lift, add more for brake lines but I went all out, you can do brake lines way cheaper than I did. Another thing to consider is your steering components going to be able to handle the new lift and tires? I completely redone my steering while it was apart, be a good idea to do the same.

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
UPDATE: Ride is not as stiff as I was led to believe, its a lot smoother than the stack of springs I took off, to old lift was supposed to be 4in, but I'm sure that was back in the 80s when it was new. I clear 35s with no issues, runs down the road smooth, the steering stabilizer works well too. No more darting or bad bump steer, but I do suggest replacing a worn out steering box, I replaced everything but the steering box because I didn't think it was that bad, well I was wrong..... replace it!