1987 GMC R1500 2wd - Rear left drum brake backing plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frankiejr

Reaction score
First Name
Frankie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
4.3L V6
Hey all,

My left rear wheel came off recently and the drum brake slammed on the ground. I've found all the parts I need to fix it except the backing plate for that drum brake. I've searched all parts places I could find online, had a mechanic look for one at all his distributors, and checked all the local junkyards but they won't sell one without the whole rear end.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? I can't post in the WTB section of the classifieds here because I don't have sufficient privileges yet.

Unfortunately a disc brake conversion is out of my price range right now, but maybe someone has done one and has a backing plate they'd like to get rid of?

I'm in Portland, OR if that matters. Thanks!

frankiejr

Reaction score
First Name
Frankie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
4.3L V6
Oh, another note: a neighbor said I could remove the plate and just hammer it out so it's roughly the right shape and re-use it. Could that be a possibility? I haven't bothered trying because I can't take it apart in front of the garage - we need direct access to it since that's where our current daily driver motorcycles are living.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey all,

My left rear wheel came off recently and the drum brake slammed on the ground. I've found all the parts I need to fix it except the backing plate for that drum brake. I've searched all parts places I could find online, had a mechanic look for one at all his distributors, and checked all the local junkyards but they won't sell one without the whole rear end.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? I can't post in the WTB section of the classifieds here because I don't have sufficient privileges yet.

Unfortunately a disc brake conversion is out of my price range right now, but maybe someone has done one and has a backing plate they'd like to get rid of?

I'm in Portland, OR if that matters. Thanks!
Any truck 10 bolt will have what your after or van for that matter. I'm thinking even the earlier 12 truck rear would work too. Yards should have plenty of them. Just a matter of popping the axle out 4 3/8 bolts,e brake cable and a brake line.

frankiejr

Reaction score
First Name
Frankie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
4.3L V6
Unfortunately the yards won't sell me a plate without the whole axle. Apparently they think the axle is useless and any amount of verbal wrangling has fallen on deaf ears. I offered to pay a mechanic for help, and he wasn't successful in any junkyard on his call list, either.

Edit: I see now you're saying I should just try looking for other vehicles besides squarebodies. Got it, I'll check for that too now. Thanks!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Unfortunately the yards won't sell me a plate without the whole axle. Apparently they think the axle is useless and any amount of verbal wrangling has fallen on deaf ears. I offered to pay a mechanic for help, and he wasn't successful in any junkyard on his call list, either.

Edit: I see now you're saying I should just try looking for other vehicles besides squarebodies. Got it, I'll check for that too now. Thanks!
Yeah trucks and vans. Trucks 1/2 ton 2or 4wd will work.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/rn...4jneCNZPNydSqr9EvXc8Ruhah9jpgUwIaAkCcEALw_wcB

frankiejr

Reaction score
First Name
Frankie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
4.3L V6
Ha! I was just looking at that site to see if I could find something. Thanks for the heads up, I knew I came to the right place!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ha! I was just looking at that site to see if I could find something. Thanks for the heads up, I knew I came to the right place!
They are definitely cheap enough. I have a set from a 12 bolt but I'm on the other side of the country and shipping would be more then a new one lol.

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
I am having a rearend out of my 78 rebuilt right now and will not be putting the plates back on as I have a disk brake setup for it. I think I will be picking it up by Friday. New might be a better deal than shipping, but I'll send it to you for the price of the ride. Otherwise it would be going in my dumpster.

frankiejr

Reaction score
First Name
Frankie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
4.3L V6
I am having a rearend out of my 78 rebuilt right now and will not be putting the plates back on as I have a disk brake setup for it. I think I will be picking it up by Friday. New might be a better deal than shipping, but I'll send it to you for the price of the ride. Otherwise it would be going in my dumpster.
Hey man, did you throw those away? The one in the link above is for a 9.5" drum, which is too small for my truck. I haven't looked at the other side yet to see what mine is but I should be able to on Monday. If you still have them, could you tuck them away for a couple days? Thanks!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Just measured the ones off my 12 bolt 12". That's overall

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
Hey man, did you throw those away? The one in the link above is for a 9.5" drum, which is too small for my truck. I haven't looked at the other side yet to see what mine is but I should be able to on Monday. If you still have them, could you tuck them away for a couple days? Thanks!
The rear end shop tossed em cause I had told them I didn't need em. Sorry

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I have one that is off my axle. You can have it. I pulled one off already for a guy local so if you want it it's yours.

frankiejr

Reaction score
First Name
Frankie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
4.3L V6
I have one that is off my axle. You can have it. I pulled one off already for a guy local so if you want it it's yours.
Damn, I didn't see this until just now.

For anyone that finds this in the future, this was my solution.

I searched up and down by phone and couldn't find a single place that had this available. I just couldn't get to a yard to dig through any vehicles, and every one I called said they didn't have any on site anyways.

In the end, I just ended up bending back the backing plate using an air hammer and adjustable wrench as a bending tool. The truck is back to 100% now and my wife actually chooses to drive it to work every day instead of our 2005 Tacoma. I work from home so I just drive what's available. :)

It's getting colder now so maybe I'll have the GMC more often since the heat in that isn't that great. Wishful thinking anyways!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84