1986 Silverado oil pressure switch and sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
So I ran into something trying to figure out on my 86. It came with the oil pressure switch for the idiot light and the pressure sensor for the gauge. Near as I can tell, they are factory rated for 60 psi. I have a 383 that when cold will have upwards of 65-70 psi and around 45 hot. Both sensor and switch were leaking oil out at the terminals, so I'm guessing I over pressured them. Wanted to just install new switch and sensor, but if they are factory rated for 60, won't I just wipe out the new ones with my oil pressure? For now got rid of both and have a mechanical auto gauge sitting on the floor till I figure out what to do.
Are there higher rated factory sensors that will handle up to 80 psi?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
So I ran into something trying to figure out on my 86. It came with the oil pressure switch for the idiot light and the pressure sensor for the gauge. Near as I can tell, they are factory rated for 60 psi. I have a 383 that when cold will have upwards of 65-70 psi and around 45 hot. Both sensor and switch were leaking oil out at the terminals, so I'm guessing I over pressured them. Wanted to just install new switch and sensor, but if they are factory rated for 60, won't I just wipe out the new ones with my oil pressure? For now got rid of both and have a mechanical auto gauge sitting on the floor till I figure out what to do.

Diesel squares had an 80 PSI gauge and matching sender

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Cool, thanks for the info. Would rather keep instrument cluster stock looking, been down the road of modifying my 71 GMC with Tach and aftermarket gauges...what a pain, although looked pretty good when done.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

Yeah, they are out there - as Jake suggests they were used in diesel applications. But they were also OEM equipment for Corvettes and several other GM vehicles with gas engines.

Finding them takes a bit of patience and a lot of time on google/ebay. I say "them" because you can't use an 80# sender to drive a 60# indicator - so you will need an 80 pound gauge as well.

My engine is fairly tight and at start-up - in cold ambient conditions - the oil pressure pegs out high on a 60 # gauge. Even at operating temperature it will still read about 50#. And since I like my gauges to read in the middle of the total range, I recently bought both those parts.

Search using the following GM part numbers:

Sender P/N - 14040816, 06462137, 14039612, 10030966
Gauge P/N - 25025157

You must be registered for see images attach

There are a lot of people selling 60 psi senders as 80 psi - so before you buy, make sure one of the flats on the nipple is embossed like this:

Just as a guide, I paid $20 for the gauge and maybe $25 for the sender, but I had no big rush and am wicked cheap so I searched for a long time for a good price.

BTW - the oil pressure switch you are looking for doesn't exist. They are all set to close at 10 psi. I have no idea what pressure the casing is made to withstand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL