1984 carb to TBI (maybe) question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
There are a few wires for the TBI that go into the cab via the bulkhead connector.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Also, the actual in cab harness for the FI. After it exits the ECU is it standalone and exit the firewall via a grommet?
Yes, on the passenger side by the heat/AC box you can't miss it..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok more educating... good stuff. I had to google the DRAC module to see just what the heck it was. Learned a bit about them, what they do, and how to move jumpers for different sized tires. However.. where are they mounted on TBI equipped squares??

Also, the actual in cab harness for the FI. After it exits the ECU is it standalone and exit the firewall via a grommet? Or is it part of the bulk connector that ... well exits the firewall.

Thanks guys
Yup kinda looks like the fire wall threw up.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Ok more educating... good stuff. I had to google the DRAC module to see just what the heck it was. Learned a bit about them, what they do, and how to move jumpers for different sized tires. However.. where are they mounted on TBI equipped squares??

Also, the actual in cab harness for the FI. After it exits the ECU is it standalone and exit the firewall via a grommet? Or is it part of the bulk connector that ... well exits the firewall.

Thanks guys

I traced it in the 93 I had and it had a separate harness, I think the 87 would be separate also. Guessing its the plug close to the AC box.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Right under the pump relay.

You must be registered for see images attach

79SierraClassic

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Another difference was in the fuel tank selector switch. The carb units had a switch that just clicked from side to side. The inj units had a switch that was spring loaded for a momentary contact that had to be held for a second to switch. The switch also had to switch power to the fuel pump from side to side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara