1982 454 What does this relay do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, there is an easy way to find out, unplug the POS and when something don't work, bada bing you found it, lmao..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The 454 in my P30 chassis didn’t have that either, and it was an ‘89 with the good ole oversmogged carb setup. Both relays were next to each other, though. Weird.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The 454 in my P30 chassis didn’t have that either, and it was an ‘89 with the good ole oversmogged carb setup. Both relays were next to each other, though. Weird.
Why did the motor home engine have it? It had all kinda ******** on it. And little bitty pushrods and heads that got chucked immediately. Along with the soup bowl pistons.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Why did the motor home engine have it? It had all kinda ******** on it. And little bitty pushrods and heads that got chucked immediately. Along with the soup bowl pistons.

It had the fuel pump relay to drive the lift pump, which was in the tank, because GM got too many complaints about vapor lock on their P30 motorhomes with just the mechanical pump. It was kinda complicated. You had a TBI style pump in the tank, a fuel pressure regulator near the tank, a fuel pressure relay that was driven by a 12V ignition source since no ECM, the mechanical pump, and the carburetor. I don’t know why it had the AIR relay. Maybe dual smog pumps or some kind of cobbled diagnostic circuit like the ALDL in smog pump equipped vehicles will tell you with a test light.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It had the fuel pump relay to drive the lift pump, which was in the tank, because GM got too many complaints about vapor lock on their P30 motorhomes with just the mechanical pump. It was kinda complicated. You had a TBI style pump in the tank, a fuel pressure regulator near the tank, a fuel pressure relay that was driven by a 12V ignition source since no ECM, the mechanical pump, and the carburetor. I don’t know why it had the AIR relay. Maybe dual smog pumps or some kind of cobbled diagnostic circuit like the ALDL in smog pump equipped vehicles will tell you with a test light.
So in other words nonsensical ********?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
So in other words nonsensical ********?

For the fuel pump, 'fraid not. It'd run like **** without that pump. For the AIR, yes. I just found a 1987 service manual online. If it was equipped with an electric fan, there was a fan relay, there was an AIR diverter relay, an AIR override relay, a starter motor relay... The electrical system on those motorhomes through 1989 were put together really badly. The damn things had an SES light and no computer or ALDL so if that thing got tripped, it was time to get the manual and a test light/multimeter and start pulling connectors to probe voltages. Super overcomplicated. OP, if you get a factory part number, let me know.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ejection seat relay??? Oh wait, 82 Chevys didn't have those...

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I often wonder how much of that emission junk was just props to make the public think it was necessary to save our planet.
Leading to this climate change dance that at this point is creating the smoke screen to rob us of more time and energy ($),
and give up rights and eventually our personal vehicles.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I think it was done mostly to appease the government and their ********. All that trash cost the manufacturer money, which cost the consumer money, which at the same time choked down the vehicles and their respective market with emissions junk, thus pissing off Joe Blow regular consumer who liked to buy a vehicle that was peppy not sluggish. I’d like to think that the Big 3 of that time cared about the consumer a little more than now. At least with trucks and non-FWD cars. Emissions got a ton simpler when fuel injection came along, but they’ve recomplicated it now, and I think it’s the more the manufacturers’ collective M-O of make this vehicle in a way where it’ll be dead or obsolete in 10-15 years. This time it’s with computers and wires. Back then it was just with vacuum hoses and thermal switches. The difference is then you could just yank out what you didn’t want 9 times/10, and you were good to go for 45 years if you’re the oldest square body. I’d like to see the junk they crank out now last that long.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You’re thinking of an Aston Martin DB5.
Yeah, you're right. That's what I was thinking of. Easy to get those confused with our trucks, with all the mods we got going on....

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I often wonder how much of that emission junk was just props to make the public think it was necessary to save our planet.
Leading to this climate change dance that at this point is creating the smoke screen to rob us of more time and energy ($),
and give up rights and eventually our personal vehicles.
Right on! ******* hippies.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The 454 I stuck in my C10 was from some kind of motorhome, it had that relay and pigtail still on the cover. When it warms up a bit, I'll go look out in the garage and see if I still got it. It probably had a part # on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat