1980 Chevy Scottsdale - Engine Swap Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markfothebeast

Reaction score
First Name
jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
I've got this Scottsdale that I've replaced the floor pans on a couple years ago and it remains under a tarp. It has a 1976 350 2-bolt from a pickup. As well as different suspension and 4x4. VIN # shows Inline 6 and manual trans. The fellow that owned it passed away from cancer so I've been working on it some to get it fixed up for his widow whom I rent from. I fixed the crappy engine up as much as I felt it was worth and the cam in it seems like the lobes have scraped off. Rebuilt the Quadrajet (1st timer here). Bushings leak and they cost $100. Gave up since the prices are stupidly high for Quadrajet parts.

Instead of dumping money in a turd engine, I got a 1989 Chevy 350 TBI, tranny, electronics, brake system, steering column, and just about everything. Came out of my dads plow truck when the tranny went. He bought the truck in great condition with the engine seized. Had it rebuilt by a reputable shop about 15 years ago (a friend of his), put less than 10k on the engine, and here it sits. I had the truck here and I gutted nearly everything I could before the scrap guy took it

So I'm trying to take this old Chevy and drop this 350TBI in it for a 70 year old lady, who is my best buddy. It'd be best that she don't have to get out of the vehicle when it's below zero to adjust the choke on the old 350. The main reasoning here.

Anyhow, before I do this swap, I'd like to add some performance options. I want it to turn out real nice.

What can I do with a 350TBI that won't confuse the computer?
You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Going to an after market Injection system, however more expensive ,would be more reliable and easier to make work properly.

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
You can put a 400hp fitech on there for $800.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It depends on how much you want to put in. TBI heads aren't that good, but it sounds like you want to keep the setup as is, modify it slightly, and throw it in. I don't think there's much you could do without increasing the air and fuel demands, either. That TBI only pulls in about 450 CFM. Since all the work has gone into it, I'd just put some headers on it to liberate power lost through manifolds. Adding power may open up a can of worms that you'd rather avoid if you want this going quick. You also want to keep as many potential bugs out of it so it's reliable for an elderly lady. If it's alright with her, I'd drive it around for a little bit after you get it going so you can work out the bugs and not worry about her breaking down.

markfothebeast

Reaction score
First Name
jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
I'll probably just add headers only. Can the throttle body and intake be ported? Or will this affect the ECM?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'll probably just add headers only. Can the throttle body and intake be ported? Or will this affect the ECM?

They make throttle body spacers and possibly a big block throttle body may yield some benefit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For a 70 year old widow women, I'm thinking what's most important to her is that she gets to drive her husbands truck. Being 70, what's more important is reliability which the TBI is normally very reliable in it's OEM state. Not bad in cold starts and such, no choke to deal with etc. Even with headers, now you're talking heated O2 sensors and such. I think I'd just put it together as OEM and keep it reliable and I bet she's be happy as could be.

markfothebeast

Reaction score
First Name
jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
For a 70 year old widow women, I'm thinking what's most important to her is that she gets to drive her husbands truck. Being 70, what's more important is reliability which the TBI is normally very reliable in it's OEM state. Not bad in cold starts and such, no choke to deal with etc. Even with headers, now you're talking heated O2 sensors and such. I think I'd just put it together as OEM and keep it reliable and I bet she's be happy as could be.
The truck means a lot to her. However, it was never in a reliable state. I'd like to make it impressive for her. I'd like it to really be something different than a regular old Chevy. I can wire electronics all day long but I have no experience with the old TBI.

She may be 70 but she goes to more concerts than I do at 35.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The truck means a lot to her. However, it was never in a reliable state. I'd like to make it impressive for her. I'd like it to really be something different than a regular old Chevy. I can wire electronics all day long but I have no experience with the old TBI.

She may be 70 but she goes to more concerts than I do at 35.

Any swaps you make that wont affect the TBI will be minor and why they dont affect the efi. That said some TPI heads and cam would help but require a tpi pump and to up the fuel pressure most likely. Anything more and your probably going to need to tune it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg