1978 k10 suspension/tire project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burnt45

Reaction score
First Name
jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi all, I'm brand new to the site... did some lurking but now I'm all signed up... LOTS of good info!

I'd like to put a set of 33's on my old k10 and figure I need 3 inches of lift. It's already got some lift, maybe enough, maybe not, so I need to find out.
If I could ask a favor of you guys out there with a 3" suspension lift on same vintage of truck,... could you measure from the center of the hub to the body-line crease on the front and back fenders and give me those measurements? My truck right now is about 29 to 30" (front and back), depending on how it's parked.

Also, what's the general opinion for brands of lift kits like Rough Country, Tuff Country etc?

Thanks in advance!

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Hi all, I'm brand new to the site... did some lurking but now I'm all signed up... LOTS of good info!

I'd like to put a set of 33's on my old k10 and figure I need 3 inches of lift. It's already got some lift, maybe enough, maybe not, so I need to find out.
If I could ask a favor of you guys out there with a 3" suspension lift on same vintage of truck,... could you measure from the center of the hub to the body-line crease on the front and back fenders and give me those measurements? My truck right now is about 29 to 30" (front and back), depending on how it's parked.

Also, what's the general opinion for brands of lift kits like Rough Country, Tuff Country etc?

Thanks in advance!
Rule of thumb for 33's is

Street only: 2" lift
Offroading: 4" lift

For the lift, how are you planning to so it? Spring back in the front and rear? Rear lift blocks? Add a leaf to the packs?

If going all spring, look at the individual spring rate. The higher the rate, the stiffer the spring, the stiffer the ride. But, you will also have a higher load capacity before the vehicle is sagging.

Are you planning on installing heavy bumpers or a winch or a big block in the future? If so, go for a higher spring rate in the front so you won't have excessive sagging. If not, you'd be safe going with a lower spring rate.

I don't have exact measurements, but I went with a 4" EZ Ride lift springs in the front, and a 4" ORD shackle flip kit in the rear. With a set of Rancho RS9000XL Shocks. Rides smoother than the factory suspension ever did. Have added leafs and an ez rate for clearing the 35's since, but rides real nice still.

The EZ Rides were the lowest spring rate I could easily find without going with a custom set of springs.

burnt45

Reaction score
First Name
jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info chicken.
I've had this truck over 20 years. When i got it there were a few broken leafs on the back so i just replaced everything, with one extra leaf. So then it was too hi and stiff on the rear so i found a set of extra leaf fronts... Plowing option if i recall.
It's got 32" BF All terrains on it now and sits nice, but my goal is to go a bit bigger and higher... And hopefully not so friggin stiff!
I'm not a mudder or rock crawler, i just use it for hunting, fishing and hauling materials to build my wifes projects. I just want a nice stock lookin truck with a little extra eyeball.
All this to say, is that i haven't decided what size and height i want, so i'd like to know how much over stock it is now... I'm guessing maybe an inch or 2?
If i can get someone to give those measurements i'll be able to figure it out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB.

Some of the guys are good enough and know the trucks well enough, if you posted a side pic of the truck with a little bit of distance they can pretty much tell you what lift it has.

burnt45

Reaction score
First Name
jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'll take a couple pics and figure how to post them on here... Then you guys can chime in.

buildin64

Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
HI, I have the same issue with my truck...not knowing how much lift it currently has. My other issue is I just put on 33 BFG Mud Terrains with 10" wide wheels and now I have a clearance issue at full turns. I emailed Chris at ORD and asked him what is a stock height for the K5 (mine is a 1975) and this is what he told me...

"On the front of the truck, there is a bump stop right above the front axle. If you measure from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the metal bracket that the bumpstop is attached to, a stock truck normally measures ~8-1/2" there"

Mine measured 9-1/2 in...so basically a 1" lift. No wonder I have an issue! I am planning for a 3-4in lift to clear my tires.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
HI, I have the same issue with my truck...not knowing how much lift it currently has. My other issue is I just put on 33 BFG Mud Terrains with 10" wide wheels and now I have a clearance issue at full turns. I emailed Chris at ORD and asked him what is a stock height for the K5 (mine is a 1975) and this is what he told me...

"On the front of the truck, there is a bump stop right above the front axle. If you measure from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the metal bracket that the bumpstop is attached to, a stock truck normally measures ~8-1/2" there"

Mine measured 9-1/2 in...so basically a 1" lift. No wonder I have an issue! I am planning for a 3-4in lift to clear my tires.
I had the same issue with 33's on 10" wides rubbing at full turn. I was at stock height though. Dropped down to 32's and had no issues at all.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
My '79 1/2 ton had a stiff 4" Rancho lift kit when I purchased it along with 33x12.50 tires & 15x10 wheels. I swapped to 3/4 ton axles and went to a Tuff Country EZ ride 4" lift. I was running blocks in the back. I was running 33x12.50x16.5 tires on 9.75" wheels. The tires were about 32.5" tall. I had no rubbing issues. Here are the measurements for this set up.

Hub to fender lip (F) 26.75" (R)24.75". Hub to body line (F)32.0 (R)32.0.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK