1976 GMC C35 Sierra Classic Camper Special Tailgate & Trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
On the truck in the title, 1976 GMC C35 Sierra Classic Camper Special, what tailgate and trim should I have?

The latches look like the second generation set- but the truck has the earlier style doors so I'd assume it would have the 1st generation type of latches.

Also, the tailgate trim looks like this-
http://www.collectorcarads.com/Picture3/IMG_1380.jpg

but should it look like this?

http://www.classicnosparts.com/wp-c...ct_images/1975-80 GMC Truck Tailgate Mldg.JPG

The current tailgate is actually a chevrolet tailgate. So I wouldn't be surprised if the entire bed is from a different truck. The glove box also appears to have been changed at some point along with the dash pad and dash insert on passenger side.

Anyways, just trying to figure out what the truck should have. TIA

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I would think it would be similar to the second pic. That's the older style tailgate. They changed the depression in tbe center when they started the insert that matches the first pic. The inserts aren't interchangeable. I wanted to use my old style Chevrolet insert on my newer style gate, but it wouldn't fit.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
I think you're correct. I randomly ran across a good looking GMC band last night for a good price so I picked it up.

It was listed as 75-77 GMC. Not sure what 73-74 had, nor 78+ has.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I think you're correct. I randomly ran across a good looking GMC band last night for a good price so I picked it up.

It was listed as 75-77 GMC. Not sure what 73-74 had, nor 78+ has.

My '79 had a band just like the one in the second pic, except said Chevrolet

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
weird. It's so hard for me to know what is 'original' for the title and vin of my truck. My first square was heavily picked though, this one is much better but still looks like the bed has been changed.

The more I learn the more I can spot out how many trucks are 'wrong'. Must drive all the experts around here crazy lol.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
My 79 3+3 was a Silverado red with the white paint in the middle. My truck had the small tailgate band. I friend back in the day had the taller band on his '76 Scottsdale.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
My '75 had the original tailgate when I got it, and the tailgate had the narrower band of trim (your 1st picture) with the GMC logo centered on it. When I took off the trim I found that the GMC logo was also embossed in the center of the tailgate metal.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisd9997