10 bolt Rear Axle, Axle Shaft Removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Anyone know off the top of their head, how to remove the axle shafts from a 87 10 bolt rear axle? Does it use C clips, or is it got the eliminators on the backing plate???

That 10 bolt diff that has the Detroit Locker in it, has some chipped and broken gears. So all I want out of it is the DL carrier and the axle shafts since they have to come out anyway to get the carrier.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Anyone know off the top of their head, how to remove the axle shafts from a 87 10 bolt rear axle? Does it use C clips, or is it got the eliminators on the backing plate???

That 10 bolt diff that has the Detroit Locker in it, has some chipped and broken gears. So all I want out of it is the DL carrier and the axle shafts since they have to come out anyway to get the carrier.

It has C-clips.

Factory manual says the following:

Remove the pinion shaft lock bolt
Remove the pinion shaft:
1) Remove the shaft from the case on vehicles without a locking differential
2) With a locking differential (not sure if this applies to the Detroit Locker), remove the shaft part way and rotate the case until the pinion shaft touches the housing.
3) Use a screwdriver or similar tool to enter the case and rotate the lock until it aligns with the thrust block.
4) Push the axle toward the differential and remove the c-clip.
5) Slide the axle shaft out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This was the Detroit Locker unit. I got it all figured out. Thanks though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey