10-bolt front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stm3784

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
hey all,

I went to the boneyard today pretty much because I could. And they had 77 k20, with what looked like a10 bolt front axle. Anyway the question I have is. I know there are guys the would much rather the D44. But I’m trying to find out, and I know it’s dumb, I probably already know the answer but the 10bolt and D44 axle on the K series truck, were the SF, FF, or both? Also how can you tell? I know I rambled, sorry. I’m at work and bored.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I'm not sure of the technical term, but I'm pretty positive front axles are neither semi float or full float, not completely sure though. I say this mainly due to the fact that there isn't a straight axle shaft all the way to the hub flange where the wheel bolts up, so I feel like there's a different term for them. If not I'm sure they are considered "semi float" , if not they are extremely close to it.

Its kind of the same concept as newer cars just old school. Instead the weight of the vehicle being exerted on the axle shaft, like on a rear semi float axle, the weight is on the spindle and pressure is on the ball joints. The old school part is that there's a few bearings that work together to do the same job as the newer one piece unit bearings, then the axle shaft goes through the hub.

stm3784

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In response to the reaper. That’s actually what I was kind of thinking.

The axles don't carry the weight of the vehicle. They are full float.

But I guess I learned something new. And with that being said are all front axles from the k series like that?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
One would think they would have to be, although I haven't seen every front axle ever used. But the very first thing the GM manual for the 8.5 front axle says is that it is a full floating design. I'll grab a pic of it when I get to work.

stm3784

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One would think they would have to be, although I haven't seen every front axle ever used. But the very first thing the GM manual for the 8.5 front axle says is that it is a full floating design. I'll grab a pic of it when I get to work.

Ok now I’m curious

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L