1 ton crossmember

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Mine is a '79 with the really flat crossmember.

If you are going with the 4L80/241 combo, you will probably need the later wavy or W crossmember. Unless your adapter is from an early th400/np208. The later setups used "short" adapters with the single rubber mounts, which in turn used the non-flat crossmember.
Flater then the one i posted to start with?

Ive got 2 of these guys then....Ill probably have to buy a new adapter cant find one guessing cause everyone wants a 400 in there truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Ive got 2 of these guys then....Ill probably have to buy a new adapter cant find one guessing cause everyone wants a 400 in there truck.

They are salty. I got lucky and found someone who didn’t know what they had. I traded the original 350 out of my truck for a 400 208 and the adapter. Sucker lol

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I
They are salty. I got lucky and found someone who didn’t know what they had. I traded the original 350 out of my truck for a 400 208 and the adapter. Sucker lol
Ive been looking new is stupid expensive. I need a input shaft for the 241 too. Been hoping to find one with the adapter. Ord wants like 150 for the input shaft!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I

Ive been looking new is stupid expensive. I need a input shaft for the 241 too. Been hoping to find one with the adapter. Ord wants like 150 for the input shaft!
The case on the one I got in trade was crappy so I swapped the input shaft into the original TC com the truck and traded the case off for a set of new 10 series mufflers.... lol every thing has value to someone.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The case on the one I got in trade was crappy so I swapped the input shaft into the original TC com the truck and traded the case off for a set of new 10 series mufflers.... lol every thing has value to someone.
If that all came together tell me why you had to make that extra spacer again?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If that all came together tell me why you had to make that extra spacer again?
Because I’m using a fixed yoke 400. The shaft is longer on them. I did a bunch of work to the trans and didn’t want to pull it apart to swap output shafts.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yep, flatter. Looks like I got a couple bolts that need tended to also.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID

Yep, flatter. Looks like I got a couple bolts that need tended to also.

If yours is flatter than that maybe its a 2wd crossmember with a short foot adapter on it? Someone started trying to do that on my K5 and after replacing the transmission for having a fractured tailhousing I figure it wasn't going to work out to well.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If yours is flatter than that maybe its a 2wd crossmember with a short foot adapter on it? Someone started trying to do that on my K5 and after replacing the transmission for having a fractured tailhousing I figure it wasn't going to work out to well.

Mine is the one in the picture. That's the 1-ton version of the flat style crossmember. The 1/2 and 3/4 ton version has ends that curl up more to match the shorter frame rails.

Far as I know, all of the flat crossmembers used a tall style adapter with the twin rubber saddle mounts. The one posted originally in this thread had a plate welded to it, likely for use with a short style adapter and a traditional mount.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, I think the pre-81 1/2-3/4 crossmember differs from the '81-'84 part a bit. IIRC, the later one has larger mounting tabs for skid plates and stuff.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Mine is the one in the picture. That's the 1-ton version of the flat style crossmember. The 1/2 and 3/4 ton version has ends that curl up more to match the shorter frame rails.

Far as I know, all of the flat crossmembers used a tall style adapter with the twin rubber saddle mounts. The one posted originally in this thread had a plate welded to it, likely for use with a short style adapter and a traditional mount.

Oddly enough I have that same crossmember and it came off a pre 84 half ton truck rig..... I guess there was a phase where it might have been the go-to crossmember for all the trucks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oddly enough I have that same crossmember and it came off a pre 84 half ton truck rig..... I guess there was a phase where it might have been the go-to crossmember for all the trucks.

Are you sure it's just like that? The others look similar at a glance.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Hard to say... Mine does appear to have a little more curve (please ignore the love glove, lol):

As installed:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Your first pic there looks like the more curved ends for sure. But the second certainly makes it look flatter.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
If I can get my crap together this weekend I will go out and measure the height... Only other picture I had before I schlepped it in was me in my jammies with the old clapped out mounts. I do know that this "style" was what was in my 77 Jimmy with the TH350 Which is why I knew there was aversion for long foot and short foot mounts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54