1 ton crossmember

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Been trying to pile up the parts for my build. Ive got a 91 4l80 and a 241 thats gonna go in my truck. I have a flat crossmember came out off of a 1/2 ton frame not sure what it was doing in there. From the looking around on here the flat crossmember i have should be from a 1 ton but someone cut the center out at welded a plate on it. So the question is will it still work? What rubber mount/ adapter do i need? Should be the same as a 400 to a 208 i think. Other strange thing is none of the holes in the frame line up with the 2 on the crossmemeber. I can drill new just though it was strange

You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
You should be able to slide it forward and aft to get it where you need it.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You should be able to slide it forward and aft to get it where you need it.
I dont need rubber mounts like this?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yes, but it should look like this,

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yes, but it should look like this,

Ohhh see thats what ive been wondering so i should just be able to drill holes or use the ones in there on that modified plate they put on there...whered you find that? Pn?

Looks close to the same as a 700 to 208 mount the rubber part that is

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Ohhh see thats what ive been wondering so i should just be able to drill holes or use the ones in there on that modified plate they put on there...whered you find that? Pn?

Looks close to the same as a 700 to 208 mount the rubber part that is

I just googled it, it's pretty universal. The part number is MT5000. It looks like it'll mate to your plate, then the whole crossmember can go wherever it needs to on your frame and you can drill new holes.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
My K30 has a W crossmember, but I have a 205 transfer case. The plate that's welded to your crossmember may possibly use the mount similar to mine. It's bolted to the end of the transmission, but I don't know if it would then give clearance for the drive shaft. I know my '79 K15 had a 203 and used similar U shaped bushings on the crossmember.

The last picture is a cross member in a K5 with a 241.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just googled it, it's pretty universal. The part number is MT5000. It looks like it'll mate to your plate, then the whole crossmember can go wherever it needs to on your frame and you can drill new holes.

I google that and got a radar level transmitter lol. Ill find it.

My K30 has a W crossmember, but I have a 205 transfer case. The plate that's welded to your crossmember may possibly use the mount similar to mine. It's bolted to the end of the transmission, but I don't know if it would then give clearance for the drive shaft. I know my '79 K15 had a 203 and used similar U shaped bushings on the crossmember.

Ive got 2 other crossmembers from k10s. From what i found i thought they all (1 tons) used the flat one because the frame is taller

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Ive got 2 other crossmembers from k10s. From what i found i thought they all (1 tons) used the flat one because the frame is taller

One thing I noticed on my K30 that's different from the K5, K15 and K20 I've owned in the past was that the K30 crossmember sits within the frame channels and the others sat below. See my first picture in post #8. I've attached two links to other discussions about cross members. Both show the cross member below the frame.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/transfer-case-crossmembers-skid-plates.17434/
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/vibration-after-lift.1138/

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I dont need rubber mounts like this?

There are two different flat ones I think, heck, maybe 3 now after seeing that top picture. The one pictured in my picture just above has the style for pre 1984 half ton setups with the 2 piece trans mount and the long foot T case adapter. I went with that in my 85 because it was all I could find around and I already had the long foot adapter. I think it also was used on the K20. I think the one ton flat version is on top of the next picture and has an additional piece that kicks out and bolts to the top and bottom of the frame rail on one side and then through the side of the frame rail on the other side, but that might have been a 1984 and earlier version as well.

The bottom one in this picture is the 1985 and up W style and I think it changed when the introduced the NP241C but it may have used the same one piece trans mount that was used with a short foot Tcase adapter

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
One thing I noticed on my K30 that's different from the K5, K15 and K20 I've owned in the past was that the K30 crossmember sits within the frame channels and the others sat below. See my first picture in post #8. I've attached two links to other discussions about cross members. Both show the cross member below the frame.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/transfer-case-crossmembers-skid-plates.17434/
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/vibration-after-lift.1138/

Oh yeah... Never noticed that about the '85 and later K30's. Previous years all had the flat style crossmember, with the K30 version being flatter than the others. And they mounted below the frame.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Oh yeah... Never noticed that about the '85 and later K30's. Previous years all had the flat style crossmember, with the K30 version being flatter than the others. And they mounted below the frame.
Hows yours set up? I guess i could always make what i needed too. Or maybe the "wavy" ones i have would work too. I guess maybe i need to get the adapter and the rubber mount and figure out the crossmember after i have that stuff

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

Clean truck and a clean shop! 100 Points!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hows yours set up? I guess i could always make what i needed too. Or maybe the "wavy" ones i have would work too. I guess maybe i need to get the adapter and the rubber mount and figure out the crossmember after i have that stuff

Mine is a '79 with the really flat crossmember.

If you are going with the 4L80/241 combo, you will probably need the later wavy or W crossmember. Unless your adapter is from an early th400/np208. The later setups used "short" adapters with the single rubber mounts, which in turn used the non-flat crossmember.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep