1 piece or 2 piece driveshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Hey guys, I thought this would be the best place to post this question.

I've done an LS/4L80E swap in my 87' 2wd long box. I still need to get a driveshaft modified for it.

The original driveshaft is a 2 piece. But I also have a 2 piece driveshaft from an 04' 6.0/4L80E.

My question is, should I stick with the 2 piece driveshaft from the 04', or have a 1 piece built? Any advantages?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've usually dumped the 2 piece for a 1 piece. Lest places to break. Since your lowered I don't see the need for a 2 piece but this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will counter with theirs. Is your trans a fixed yoke or slip? If it's fixed you will need a slip joint somewhere wether 1 or 2 piece.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If I didn't have a driveshaft I'd get a 1 piece, but if I already had a good 2 piece I'd just use it what the heck..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If I didn't have a driveshaft I'd get a 1 piece, but if I already had a good 2 piece I'd just use it what the heck..
Usually the stuff I do the OEM won't fit so I do 1 piece

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
I've usually dumped the 2 piece for a 1 piece. Lest places to break. Since your lowered I don't see the need for a 2 piece but this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will counter with theirs. Is your trans a fixed yoke or slip? If it's fixed you will need a slip joint somewhere wether 1 or 2 piece.

Thanks for the info. Not sure on the fixed or slip yoke. It's my first time playing with a driveshaft.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size

Yeah I've got the stocker so I can just get it cut forward of the carrier bearing for cheaper than the cost of a new 1 piece.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yeah I've got the stocker so I can just get it cut forward of the carrier bearing for cheaper than the cost of a new 1 piece.
Definitely. Or merge the newer one to the original one.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'd do the same thing in that case, lol.
My S10 WAS 2 piece I went 1 piece and just extended the tunnel. It was an Xcab so the tunnel stops right behind the seats.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's what I did when I put a GearVendor in, quick easy and cheap, if I'd a had a 1 piece long enough laying around then I would of use that one instead.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My S10 WAS 2 piece I went 1 piece and just extended the tunnel. It was an Xcab so the tunnel stops right behind the seats.
That was pretty easy to I take it..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That was pretty easy to I take it..
Yup. That was the truck I cut the cab in half and replaced the back half. Like I've said before I do the dumb **** most people wouldn't. Lol

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yup. That was the truck I cut the cab in half and replaced the back half. Like I've said before I do the dumb **** most people wouldn't. Lol
Dare to be different, right, nothing wrong with that, lol..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyrodd