01' 24v Cummins Swap in a K5 Build... looking for info, pointers, etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
hows it going everyone? new guy here. been stalking the site for a bit, decided i'd stop being a lurker and join the party!
as it says in my "about me"......

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR PISS POOR SPELLING AND GRAMMAR LOL

Current Project is a 90 k5, used to be on 3/4 ton axles, with 46s and 15" of lift, 2x4, tbi 350 with a th400.
ive torn it down to the ground to build a 5 ton k5.
plans are: 5 ton rockwells, 24v cummins, nv4500, 2.5 ton transfer case, 24" of lift, 53" tires, and full hydraulic steering. ***boxed frame*** as well to hold all that together.
so far ive gotten:

24" lift
53" goodyears
5 ton rockwells (6.44 gears)
2 piece hemtt wheels
the k5 (of course)
picking up the 2.5 ton transfer case this weekend (poor man's SCS)
lots and lots of odds and ends bs thats not worth mentioning......

yeah, itll be a big pos, but before i make any moves and "throw" axles and tires under it, motor has to go in first! i dont own a lift or overhead gantry for this, i just have access to tractors... i know what youre thinking.."OH GOD! not another backyard billybob build" and to that, i say, yes, another one of those.....

i need power to get this big girl rolling. so i decided on the cummins, cheapy alternative to a duramax i guess (no offense intended).

i wanted the 24v because of the "on the fly tuning" as opposed to the reliable P pump 12v, as ive read, with a upgraded lift pump, she'll serve me well, found a decent deal on a whole running and driving 01 dodge 3500 4x4 with the 24v (no shes not the cursed #53 block) and some auto trans. Whole truck comes from a older gentlemen friend of mine who left it bone stock, and had it serviced regularly, as well as had the transmission rebuilt a time or two, big surprise :rotflmao: (ALL of it going right back no CL once ive robbed it of all the parts i want)

SO.....
i lack the 24v (saving money atm) and i lack the 2wd nv4500, as well as brackets, clutch stuff, etc etc etc

I came here to the website to dig for info, maybe someone can give me pointers.
im sure ive missed some crucial information thats needed here, and i'm positive ill catch alot of hell for all of this, which is cool lol

so, my question to all you gentlemen/ladies out there: what all is involved in the 24v swap with the dodge nv4500? my questions here are really only pertinent to the actual engine swap not the other bs with the truck, but i had a question or 2 about the nv4500...

so..... ive read...... buy brackets, bolt and weld, or cut them out of the dodge, mod the frame to adapt factory ones, cut some off the front crossmember to clear the bottom pulley, and like "MAGIC" its in the truck. i KNOW theres more to it than that. whats the purpose of the crossmember that comes with the swap kits???? added support? i see clearing the AC pump is a pain in the butt because it hits the frame, you can either relocate to the middle, or remove it all together..... probably will remove it(who needs AC right?), what all is needed to setup gauges, lights, all that good stuff? what about the pump power? theres a right and wrong way to do all this i guess, wrong way i would imagine is dropping it in, wiring tons of autozone gauges in, buying 100 toggle switches and putting the pump on the ignition's switched power :rockit:. i imagine its alot more in depth to set it all up correctly, and still maintain the basics in the beloved squarebody.... necessities are as follows: gauges, speedometer(i heard someone snicker), headlights, taillights, reverse lights, and all the "stuff" needed to make the cummins run. how does one setup the hydro clutch for the dodge manual in a chevy k5? oh, and did i forget to mention? the cummins has 170k on it, what all servicing is needed before dropping it in? i saw crank seals, oil pan gasket, kdp....... what else?

i know its a lot to read, but i figured instead of shooting 100 posts back and forth, why not include it all in one big post? ill have more questions, no doubt, and if anyone even remotely cares, i have pictures i can post up too of this pile of garbage :anitoof:
thanks everyone, hope to meet some cool people on here

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
hows it going everyone? new guy here. been stalking the site for a bit, decided i'd stop being a lurker and join the party!
as it says in my "about me"......

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR PISS POOR SPELLING AND GRAMMAR LOL

Current Project is a 90 k5, used to be on 3/4 ton axles, with 46s and 15" of lift, 2x4, tbi 350 with a th400.
ive torn it down to the ground to build a 5 ton k5.
plans are: 5 ton rockwells, 24v cummins, nv4500, 2.5 ton transfer case, 24" of lift, 53" tires, and full hydraulic steering. ***boxed frame*** as well to hold all that together.
so far ive gotten:

24" lift
53" goodyears
5 ton rockwells (6.44 gears)
2 piece hemtt wheels
the k5 (of course)
picking up the 2.5 ton transfer case this weekend (poor man's SCS)
lots and lots of odds and ends bs thats not worth mentioning......

yeah, itll be a big pos, but before i make any moves and "throw" axles and tires under it, motor has to go in first! i dont own a lift or overhead gantry for this, i just have access to tractors... i know what youre thinking.."OH GOD! not another backyard billybob build" and to that, i say, yes, another one of those.....

i need power to get this big girl rolling. so i decided on the cummins, cheapy alternative to a duramax i guess (no offense intended).

i wanted the 24v because of the "on the fly tuning" as opposed to the reliable P pump 12v, as ive read, with a upgraded lift pump, she'll serve me well, found a decent deal on a whole running and driving 01 dodge 3500 4x4 with the 24v (no shes not the cursed #53 block) and some auto trans. Whole truck comes from a older gentlemen friend of mine who left it bone stock, and had it serviced regularly, as well as had the transmission rebuilt a time or two, big surprise :rotflmao: (ALL of it going right back no CL once ive robbed it of all the parts i want)

SO.....
i lack the 24v (saving money atm) and i lack the 2wd nv4500, as well as brackets, clutch stuff, etc etc etc

I came here to the website to dig for info, maybe someone can give me pointers.
im sure ive missed some crucial information thats needed here, and i'm positive ill catch alot of hell for all of this, which is cool lol

so, my question to all you gentlemen/ladies out there: what all is involved in the 24v swap with the dodge nv4500? my questions here are really only pertinent to the actual engine swap not the other bs with the truck, but i had a question or 2 about the nv4500...

so..... ive read...... buy brackets, bolt and weld, or cut them out of the dodge, mod the frame to adapt factory ones, cut some off the front crossmember to clear the bottom pulley, and like "MAGIC" its in the truck. i KNOW theres more to it than that. whats the purpose of the crossmember that comes with the swap kits???? added support? i see clearing the AC pump is a pain in the butt because it hits the frame, you can either relocate to the middle, or remove it all together..... probably will remove it(who needs AC right?), what all is needed to setup gauges, lights, all that good stuff? what about the pump power? theres a right and wrong way to do all this i guess, wrong way i would imagine is dropping it in, wiring tons of autozone gauges in, buying 100 toggle switches and putting the pump on the ignition's switched power :rockit:. i imagine its alot more in depth to set it all up correctly, and still maintain the basics in the beloved squarebody.... necessities are as follows: gauges, speedometer(i heard someone snicker), headlights, taillights, reverse lights, and all the "stuff" needed to make the cummins run. how does one setup the hydro clutch for the dodge manual in a chevy k5? oh, and did i forget to mention? the cummins has 170k on it, what all servicing is needed before dropping it in? i saw crank seals, oil pan gasket, kdp....... what else?

i know its a lot to read, but i figured instead of shooting 100 posts back and forth, why not include it all in one big post? ill have more questions, no doubt, and if anyone even remotely cares, i have pictures i can post up too of this pile of garbage :anitoof:
thanks everyone, hope to meet some cool people on here
Oh hell no I don’t see on pic of anything.....oh yeah welcome there needs to be a build thread on this beast.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Oh hell no I don’t see on pic of anything.....oh yeah welcome there needs to be a build thread on this beast.

how do i begin the build thread? i have a shitload of photos to upload, progress is ridiculously slow, its a 1 man operation lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
how do i begin the build thread? i have a shitload of photos to upload, progress is ridiculously slow, its a 1 man operation lol
Under construction section. Not sure where you’d put a K5 on Rocks but probably with the 1/2 tons there are sub groups to keep the frame draggers in there place lol

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Guess I'll copy and paste the entire post, and post it there, I have like, no friends to revel in this turd with me, figured someone here on the squarebody page would "dig" it

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Guess I'll copy and paste the entire post, and post it there, I have like, no friends to revel in this turd with me, figured someone here on the squarebody page would "dig" it
I’m patiently waiting on a set of Rocks. I have a recycling center hook up and they’ve cut up a few Duece n a half’s in the past. I’ll buy Rock by the pound all day long especially after I strip the brakes off.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
i picked mine up from the man in florida, 800 series 5 tons (i picked them because you can flip the hubs out), 1250 for the set, 150 for delivery to NC where im at, not too bad.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
once i get all the decent k5 photos dumped onto the computer from my phone, ill upload another post under the construction tab.... expect to hear from me again either later tonight, or tomorrow night!!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
once i get all the decent k5 photos dumped onto the computer from my phone, ill upload another post under the construction tab.... expect to hear from me again either later tonight, or tomorrow night!!
You can do them from your phone too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito