Go Back   GM Square Body - 1973 - 1987 GM Truck Forum > '73 - '87 GM Truck Modifications > Electrical & Audio
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Advertisements

Electrical & Audio Electrical Accessories & Stereo Equipment.

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Wwiifan

Name: John

Year: 83
Model: K10
Engine: 5.0

Wwiifan is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Junction block power
Where does the junction block on the firewall get its power from? The batt/ alternator or fused from the fuse block? Got a wiring diagram? Thanks

Wwiifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:04 AM   #2
dougbert

Name: doug

Year: 1984
Model: K1500/nv4500/np241c/33x12.50
Engine: 5.3L

dougbert will become famous soon enoughdougbert will become famous soon enough
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Wwiifan View Post
Where does the junction block on the firewall get its power from? The batt/ alternator or fused from the fuse block? Got a wiring diagram? Thanks

It gets its power from the firewall bulkhead connector, circuit 2-RED. Circuit 2-RED comes from the battery to the firewall connector and then inside and Circuit 2 comes back out and goes to that HVAC junction block

would help to know the year you are talking about

dougbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:34 AM   #3

chengny

Name: Jerry

Year: 1986
Model: K3500
Engine: 350/5.7

chengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond repute
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Says 1983 - but it doesn't really matter - all model years are layed out the same:

Where does the junction block on the firewall get its power from? The batt/ alternator or fused from the fuse block? Got a wiring diagram?

The JB uses no power, it is essentially a terminal strip. But I know what you mean.

The short answer to your question is: From the battery.

But it isn't a straight shot from the battery positive terminal to the line side of the FW JB. To get that point, there must be continuity:

1. From the battery positive cable to the "B" terminal on the starter solenoid
and then

2. Through a fusible link. That link is located very close to the solenoid "B" terminal:

chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Wwiifan

Thanks for the help and diagrams guys. On to the next problem. I got the led dome light, lens, and chrome bulb housing from LMC. I can't find the bulb socket anywhere. Oreilly comes up with a tube type bulb. And no socket for it either (not that it's right anyway). I guess it originally took a 1004 bulb. Anyone have a link or bulb socket part number for the 1004?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #5

Craig 85

Name: Craig

Year: 1985
Model: K30 SRW
Engine: 454/TH-400/NP205

Craig 85 will become famous soon enoughCraig 85 will become famous soon enough
Here's the link to LMC's wiring harness (Part # 36-3771). You may also try Napa Auto Parts. They tend to have a better slection than Oreilly's.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=196

2016 Ram 2500 Crew cab
Craig 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

chengny

chengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Wwiifan View Post
Thanks for the help and diagrams guys. On to the next problem. I got the led dome light, lens, and chrome bulb housing from LMC. I can't find the bulb socket anywhere. Oreilly comes up with a tube type bulb. And no socket for it either (not that it's right anyway). I guess it originally took a 1004 bulb. Anyone have a link or bulb socket part number for the 1004?
What is the base configuration of the LED bulb that LMC provided. As you already know, up to 1984 the factory bulb was a 1004. That's a BA15d base. Google "ba15d socket" and you'll have plenty to choose from.

The biggest problem with this modification won't be fitting the bulb into the socket, it will be finding a socket that will fit snugly into the mounting hole.

What happened to the original socket at the end of the harness? If it's still there, use that.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
75gmck25

Name: Bruce

Year: 1975
Model: K25
Engine: 5.7

75gmck25 is on a distinguished road
When you install the dome light, remember that both the positive terminal (little nub inside the socket) and negative terminal (the socket) are insulated/floating from ground.

The courtesy light circuit has all devices/lights always connected to power, and is grounded when you open a door or turn the headlight switch counterclockwise. This is the opposite of most other accessories where the ground is always connected, and power is switched. If you happen to ground the courtesy light socket to the housing or to the truck, the light will stay on all the time.

Bruce
75gmck25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

chengny

Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
When you install the dome light, remember that both the positive terminal (little nub inside the socket) and negative terminal (the socket) are insulated/floating from ground.

The courtesy light circuit has all devices/lights always connected to power, and is grounded when you open a door or turn the headlight switch counterclockwise. This is the opposite of most other accessories where the ground is always connected, and power is switched. If you happen to ground the courtesy light socket to the housing or to the truck, the light will stay on all the time.

Bruce
I'm fairly certain that a 1004 lamp is a double bayonet contact base (BA15d) - and would use a two-wire/two-contact socket. In that case, the socket body would be only used to secure the bulb and wouldn't be part of the lamp's electrical circuit.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #9
75gmck25

Name: Bruce

Year: 1975
Model: K25
Engine: 5.7

75gmck25 is on a distinguished road
Yes, you are right. I forgot about the double contact base in that bulb. It does not ground through the base, but through the 2nd contact.

Bruce
75gmck25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #10
Wwiifan

Thanks for all the responses. First of the truck interior was gutted so no existing bulb socket. Second I guess I didn't look hard enough in the LMC catalog since I missed their socket listing. But $19.95 plus shipping? No thanks. Third thanks for the clarification on the double contact and the base not being the ground then. Fourth, I guess the challenge will be to find a socket that fits the lens housing correctly.
Anybody out there actually buy one and have a part number? Would save me some time.