Go Back   GM Square Body - 1973 - 1987 GM Truck Forum > Photo Gallery > Under Construction
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Advertisements

Under Construction Post up your build threads here.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #106

DasAutomatik

Name: La'akea

Year: 1981
Model: C10
Engine: 454

DasAutomatik is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Originally Posted by Honky Kong jr View Post
116cc peanut port truck head good to about 4500rpm then starve for air. Not bashing your heads just being informative so once it's together you know why it kinda stops pulling rpm. If it's a cruise and tow rig your golden. But your intake is probably good to 6200 or more a dual plain intake would better suit those heads.

I appreciate the info. Right now this is just my cruise truck. So the intake I should be looking for is a dual plane then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DasAutomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #107

Honky Kong jr

Name: J-me

Year: 87
Model: V10
Engine: Lil BB 407

Honky Kong jr is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DasAutomatik View Post
I appreciate the info. Right now this is just my cruise truck. So the intake I should be looking for is a dual plane then?

Yes. The performer 2.0 was made for them small port heads and would be ideal. That's what's on mine but I portmatched it to the heads and have a 1" spacer on it. I should get an intake like you have but I can't bring myself to pull the intake.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #108

74 Shortbed

Name: Art

Year: 1974
Model: C-10
Engine: 350ci/700R to be replaced with a 468ci

74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
X2 on the Performer and do a clean up on them(no hogging out)to get full efficiency, right cam and you'll have a parts breaking torque monster right off idle to 4000-4500rpm, perfect for sleeper daily driver..

63 Nova wagon
75 Nova Custom
74 Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #109

DasAutomatik

Originally Posted by 74 Shortbed View Post
X2 on the Performer and do a clean up on them(no hogging out)to get full efficiency, right cam and you'll have a parts breaking torque monster right off idle to 4000-4500rpm, perfect for sleeper daily driver..

I'll be sure to check that performer 2.0 out.
Probably gonna need to run my stock valve covers for a bit unless I can find new bolts for it because couple of them broke. No where has them and the ones I need actually go into the valve cover not the lip. Gonna go to fastenal tomorrow and see if they got something that'll work.

But on a good note motor is ready to drop in. got the rear main seal in, Motor is painted, new flex plate mounted, also had to get some new pan bolts because a few of them broke off. Luckily they were easy to get out.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #110

Honky Kong jr

I'll be sure to check that performer 2.0 out.
Probably gonna need to run my stock valve covers for a bit unless I can find new bolts for it because couple of them broke. No where has them and the ones I need actually go into the valve cover not the lip. Gonna go to fastenal tomorrow and see if they got something that'll work.

But on a good note motor is ready to drop in. got the rear main seal in, Motor is painted, new flex plate mounted, also had to get some new pan bolts because a few of them broke off. Luckily they were easy to get out.

Sucks your on the other side of the world I'd trade you intakes and throw in a set of gen 5 valve covers.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #111

DasAutomatik

It's 530am here and I think I better get some rest now. Lol.. I got the motor in. Just need to bolt the trans and motor mounts up then the rest should go fairly smooth

Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #112

DasAutomatik

Sucks your on the other side of the world I'd trade you intakes and throw in a set of gen 5 valve covers.

Damn that does suck.. would of been perfect

Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #113

DasAutomatik

Default DasAutomatik's 81 build
So got the motor in the other day and got everything mounted back up having trouble getting the fenders lined up right though but I'll worry about later. Just need to get the timing figured out and she's good to go

Old 05-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #114

Honky Kong jr

So got the motor in the other day and got everything mounted back up having trouble getting the fenders lined up right though but I'll worry about later. Just need to get the timing figured out and she's good to go

Cool soon time to make some noise.🤙

Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #115

74 Shortbed

Name: Art

Year: 1974
Model: C-10
Engine: 350ci/700R to be replaced with a 468ci

74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Good progress there..

63 Nova wagon
75 Nova Custom
74 Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #116
Darkrider

Name: Chris

Year: 1984/1986
Model: Custom Deluxe/Sierra
Engine: 350/305

Darkrider is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Cool soon time to make some noise.🤙
Time to wake up the Neighborhood!

Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #117

DasAutomatik

Thanks guys yes I can't wait!! Still trying to get this timing figured out. I feel like I did it correct but she's still not turning over. Then again this is the first time I've ever had to set the timing lol..

Old 05-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #118

DasAutomatik

A little update I put back on the stock intake manifold. Still haven't gotten the truck running though. It's gotta be something with the timing. Not sure what I'm doing wrong though. I will say this is my first time doing timing. I took off the valve cover and turned the crank with a wrench until I hit 0 I had a rod down the spark plug hole to make sure the the compression valve was at the top. And then I dropped my distributer in. Had the pointer pointing at number one on the cap. I'm getting spark she will crank all day long but won't start. I put some gas down the carb and she will just pop and alittle smoke. I'm not sure what's going on any ideas? Am I missing a step or doing something wrong?

Old 05-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #119

HotRodPC
Administrator

Name: HotRod

Year: 85
Model: Silverado K10 to K20 Conversion
Engine: 6.2 to Gas???

HotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond repute
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to HotRodPC
It sounds like you might have 2 problems.

#1 Fuel Problem !!! So you pour fuel in the carb and you get a pop and a bit of smoke. When you say pop do you mean as in a backfire through the carb? So if you're getting a backfire, then you have spark or it couldn't ignite the fuel to make a backfire. And this happens ONLY if you pour gas in the carb? So I'd have to wonder if you're getting fuel into the carb through the fuel pump? If it was getting gas via the fuel pump, it should be backfiring without having to pour fuel in the carb.

#2 Timing Issue !!! So is it backfiring out the tailpipe too? We need to figure out which timing is out of snych. Is it valve timing via timing chain? Or is it ignition timing via distributor? You're 100% positive the timing chain is installed correctly or it hasn't slipped time? I didn't read to see if you recently rebuilt this engine, or if it's a used one you acquired from someone else, ran before you pulled it etc. If you know for a fact the valve timing is correct, then we know it's the distributor timing that's out.

First problem to fix is to make 100% certain you're getting fuel from the fuel pump and up to the carb, and that the carb is dispensing fuel into the intake manifold. You should be able to look down the carb throat and hear fuel getting squirted into the carb throat when you pump the accelerator pump. Maybe the accelerator pump is bad on the carb?

84 Chevy Silverado C20 454/Turbo 400 14FF 3.73 Peg Legger -- http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286

85 Chevy Silverado K10 350/700R4/NP208 14FF/10B 4.10 w Lockers --http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279
HotRodPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #120

DasAutomatik

Originally Posted by HotRodPC View Post
It sounds like you might have 2 problems.

#1 Fuel Problem !!! So you pour fuel in the carb and you get a pop and a bit of smoke. When you say pop do you mean as in a backfire through the carb? So if you're getting a backfire, then you have spark or it couldn't ignite the fuel to make a backfire. And this happens ONLY if you pour gas in the carb? So I'd have to wonder if you're getting fuel into the carb through the fuel pump? If it was getting gas via the fuel pump, it should be backfiring without having to pour fuel in the carb.

#2 Timing Issue !!! So is it backfiring out the tailpipe too? We need to figure out which timing is out of snych. Is it valve timing via timing chain? Or is it ignition timing via distributor? You're 100% positive the timing chain is installed correctly or it hasn't slipped time? I didn't read to see if you recently rebuilt this engine, or if it's a used one you acquired from someone else, ran before you pulled it etc. If you know for a fact the valve timing is correct, then we know it's the distributor timing that's out.

First problem to fix is to make 100% certain you're getting fuel from the fuel pump and up to the carb, and that the carb is dispensing fuel into the intake manifold. You should be able to look down the carb throat and hear fuel getting squirted into the carb throat when you pump the accelerator pump. Maybe the accelerator pump is bad on the carb?

It isn't backfiring out of the tailpipe just the carb.. fuel pump was working before swap. I pulled the line off the fuel pump and fuel was shooting out not alot though. If I disconnect it from the carb the fuel isn't shooting out there so maybe pump? Filter isn't full while cranking.
Motor wasn't rebuilt I swapped it out of a truck which was running. I drove it home. Motor had 77k miles