Go Back   GM Square Body - 1973 - 1987 GM Truck Forum > '73 - '87 GM Truck Modifications > Exterior
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Advertisements

Exterior Tires, Wheels, Paint, Mirrors, Badges, etc.

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

87silveradok20

Name: Levi

Year: 1987
Model: Silverado k20
Engine: 350

87silveradok20 is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Step Bumper
Where do you guys buy new step bumpers? Lmc has one for $250 or so, but other than the universal ones that are more than that i can't seem to find any.

87 K20 350/400 4 inch lift with 33s (My fancy truck)
84 c30 12 valve/od dodge (the work truck)
87silveradok20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #2

Craig 85

Name: Craig

Year: 1985
Model: K30 SRW
Engine: 454/TH-400/NP205

Craig 85 will become famous soon enoughCraig 85 will become famous soon enough
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My truck had an aftermarket step bumper by FEY. It was bent, so I went with a universal step for an 89-99 truck. I'm going to have to modify the bumper brackets, but I thought this would match the taper of the rear fenders better.
Original

Replacement
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Step-Bumper-...RZHXcO&vxp=mtr

2016 Ram 2500 Crew cab
Craig 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #3

chengny

Name: Jerry

Year: 1986
Model: K3500
Engine: 350/5.7

chengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond repute
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I got lucky and found this NOS step bumper (still in the box) on a local C/L post. The guy only wanted $135! Some days the bear eats you, and some days you eat the bear:

Sorry don't mean to gloat. If you don't want to wait around for something like that to fall into your lap, look into Fey bumpers. They are marketed by Westin Automotive. They aren't like OEM quality but I have had two of them and - if you take care of them - they will last quite a while. They come in chrome or painted (silver or black). When I say take care of them, I mean to keep a close watch on the backside. Especially where the top step meets the bar (i.e. the vertical piece of steel that actually bumps into things). They look sharp and are all intents and purposes identical to the OEM design.

Before replying, I checked to be sure they are still available - they are. Just out of curiosity, I ran your truck numbers. The chrome version lists for $414 and the silver painted style is $231. Here is what the chromed bumper looks like:

http://www.westinautomotive.com/fey-...1987/gmc/v2500

Another bumper that I have had on my truck is the Starlite from LMC. I really liked the rear facing mini headlights. They came in real handy out in the woods. That was another C/L find - for $50. IDK how much they are from LMC - now I do, $230. I can't vouch for how well they hold up over time. I lost my truck in a fire after only about a year of installing it. They come in plain chrome or chrome with a black step surface:

chengny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #4

Craig 85

Originally Posted by chengny View Post
I got lucky and found this NOS step bumper (still in the box) on a local C/L post. The guy only wanted $135! Some days the bear eats you, and some days you eat the bear:

Sorry don't mean to gloat. If you don't want to wait around for something like that to fall into your lap, look into Fey bumpers. They are marketed by Westin Automotive. They aren't like OEM quality but I have had two of them and - if you take care of them - they will last quite a while. They come in chrome or painted (silver or black). When I say take care of them, I mean to keep a close watch on the backside. Especially where the top step meets the bar (i.e. the vertical piece of steel that actually bumps into things). They look sharp and are all intents and purposes identical to the OEM design.

Before replying, I checked to be sure they are still available - they are. Just out of curiosity, I ran your truck numbers. The chrome version lists for $414 and the silver painted style is $231. Here is what the chromed bumper looks like:

http://www.westinautomotive.com/fey-...1987/gmc/v2500

Another bumper that I have had on my truck is the Starlite from LMC. I really liked the rear facing mini headlights. They came in real handy out in the woods. That was another C/L find - for $50. IDK how much they are from LMC - now I do, $230. I can't vouch for how well they hold up over time. I lost my truck in a fire after only about a year of installing it. They come in plain chrome or chrome with a black step surface:

In case you don't have the lower frame to bumper brackets for the OEM bumper. Here's a set on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Step-Bu...EAAOSwdGFYrbb6

2016 Ram 2500 Crew cab
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #5

chengny

Name: Jerry

Year: 1986
Model: K3500
Engine: 350/5.7

chengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond repute
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Originally Posted by Craig 85 View Post
In case you don't have the lower frame to bumper brackets for the OEM bumper. Here's a set on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Step-Bu...EAAOSwdGFYrbb6
Hey thanks, Buddy - I appreciate the heads up.

Not only do I not have those "inner brace reinforcement brackets", I had completely forgotten that I needed them. When I bought the truck, it had a big commercial duty trailer frame/receiver bolted to the frame. Apparently the reinforcement bracketing was removed to allow it to be installed. When I removed the receiver frame and installed the temporary bumper shown below, I made a mental note to pick some up for the final assembly. But I've been restoring this truck for quite a while now and things I need are starting to fade.

At some point, I found a bumper that was in much better shape and installed it just as the original one. They way I had it, the bumper was just cantilevered out from the frame rails:

Coincidentally, I was just about to order a couple of crossmembers from R&S. So now if I also buy those brackets, maybe he'll give me a little discount.
chengny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #6

Craig 85

I've purchased a few parts from them. They even pulled a part off a truck and listed for me when I didn't see it on their ebay site.

2016 Ram 2500 Crew cab