Go Back   GM Square Body - 1973 - 1987 GM Truck Forum > Photo Gallery > Under Construction
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Advertisements

Under Construction Post up your build threads here.

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #61

74 Shortbed

Name: Art

Year: 1974
Model: C-10
Engine: 350ci/700R to be replaced with a 468ci

74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn, you're really progressing there, looks like I'll be in for a lot of fun too when I do mine, lol..

63 Nova wagon
75 Nova Custom
74 Shortbed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #62
R8rPhan

Name: Mark

Year: 1973
Model: C10
Engine: 327

R8rPhan is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hit a milestone...

Wired up the rest of the lights on the front of the truck... Ran the wires for the washer/pump and terminated it all... Cut into the main power feed to the fuse box and wired the junction block/ fusible link into it...

Went through the truck and made sure all unterminated wires had the ends taped...

THEN..... I put the battery in, hooked it up and tried starting the truck.. Vroom.. Started right up... Tested the headlights, high and low beams work... Tested the wiper and it works... Tested the front parking lights and turn signals and they worked.. Tested the horn.. It doesn't work... Seeing as it's all new wiring, including the horn button, then I suspect the horn itself is bad...

So, I have to get some more wire and then I can wire up the tail lights..
I still have to wire the dome light and courtesy lights.. I still have to put the AC/Heater ducting back together (waiting for parts) and reinstall the AC/Heater controls...

Other than that, I need to install the new distributor (need plug wires and a new timing light), wire up the fuel tank, and install the new digital dash when it arrives..

Still have to add a couple wires (that aren't absolutely necessary right now), and wrap and tie down some stuff..

And other than that, I will be able to stick the stereo in, put the dash back together and put the seat and steering wheel back in and then I will have a truck to drive around..

R8rPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #63
R8rPhan

Dawned on me that the horn button sticking out of the turn signal assy is copper, so it must 'conduct' eh?

So I shorted it out to ground with a screwdriver and the horn works too.. Sort of... One of the two horns works.. Sounds lame. Have to replace it with something more manly or at least more novelty.. Probably something more resembling a train..
Old 03-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #64
R8rPhan

So Saturday, I went shopping and bought a bunch of small stuff that really added up... plug wires, split loom, fluids, wire, etc...

Then yesterday I spend the day under the truck doing the back end.. Got the wires extended, wired in a 5 wire disconnect so that if ever I have to remove the bed (likely), all I have to do is unplug it, and then plug it back in when I put the bed on...

Was kind of a bitch... but I am now almost completely done climbing under the truck for the rewire phase of the truck...

I can't install the new tail lights though, as I have not yet ordered the 'park light' sockets and the old ones are too corroded for my liking.. everybody wants so much for these sockets for some reason, that I was planning on reusing them, but they're not that great a shape, and why leave this 'one thing' not replaced when virtually every other socket an bulb has been replaced?

Who invented the license plate lights?? I wanna punch him.. You have to take the lights completely out of the truck to get to the bulbs, and it uses star head security screws with a tinnerman nut on the back of each that must be held while you take them out.. Why???

Anyways, they're toast and I need to order new ones of those too..

Used the extra 'third brake' wire that was intended for a brake light on the back of the cab or the top of a hatchback or whatever, to power a cheap trailer light I bought and mounted to a cross member under the bed of the truck near the back.. So now the ground lights up red too, when I press the brake pedal..

Anyways, my neck is sore... Probably gonna spend the majority of the day today, researching and ordering stuff...

I'm really close, but I will be stuck for a few days waiting for parts...

Found a fuel leak under the truck which I dealt with temporarily.. Gonna need to drop the tank to fix it properly.. So, I guess, the next issue after I finish the rewire is the fuel system..

Ordering the tank selector valve with this order... Have the other tank, but needs to be cleaned and installed.. Thinking I might as well change out the senders too... get that dealt with so I never have to drop the tanks again... Just not sure which senders to get... one, two , or three port, and which is best for my future plans of adding a FiTech TBI unit... Also want to look into how best to route the fuel line in the engine bay.. Not sure that how it is now is a good way...

Still considering options for a kill switch for starting, ignition and fuel.. Will need to 'hide wire' that stuff in this next week as well...

In the cab, the courtesy lights need to be wired, as well as the dome light (ordering a new one), need to complete the AC/Heat ducting (waiting for the parts, and also ordered some hose), and then install the AC control, stereo, and digital dash (ordering this morning)... Bought one of those tweed seat covers, so I need to put that on and fix the cable that goes across the bottom for releasing the seat when moved..

Then just put the dash cover, bezel, AC vents on, bolt the steering column back up and put the steering wheel back on...

Gonna get serious about getting the windshield replaced this week too..

My neck is sore from being under the truck all day yesterday.. (well for a few hours anyways)

But I'm getting pretty close to finishing the electrical phase of this project...

Oh yeah, bought a couple cheap small mirrors like in the picture below.. I want to make holders like those.. Weld some bolts together.. maybe leave them rusty or paint them dark re to match the pin stripe I want to put down the side of the truck..

(What I 'really' want to build is a 'rat rod'.. So this will give me a little taste of that.. ) Maybe the next project? Or maybe after I fix and sell one or two other vehicles I have sitting around..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg skeleton hand mirrors.jpg (73.3 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by R8rPhan; 03-13-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #65
R8rPhan

So, I'm pretty much as far as I can go with things until my digital dash gets here (tonight) and my heater ducting parts get here (tomorrow), and then the weather allows..

Series of storms rolling in this afternoon, with only two or three days in the next 15 where it won't be raining...

This thing would have been back on the road weeks ago is it were not for waiting for parts and clear weather.. lol

Still have to install the HEI (will do when I install the new oil and water temp senders that come with the digital dash), still have to wire and install the AC/Heater (will do after I get the ducting completed), still have to wire up the fuel tank selector switch (done for now under the truck, but want to wait till after the heat/AC is done so that nothing is in the way during that work), Only other thing I gotta get under the truck for is to put the speed sensor on the tranny and spice in the wires to those I pre-wired into the truck in anticipation of it...

Still have to do the license plate lamps as the ones I bought from LMC only work with their custom bumper, so have decide what I want to do there..

Still have to install the stereo and get some speakers...

That's pretty much all that I can think of that's left..

Tranny appears to have a substantial front seal leak, won't know for sure how bad it is and if is for sure the pump seal (90% sure), so that will have to be addressed pretty much immediately..

So first thing when the truck is back on the road (maybe by next weekend) is to go out in the woods to that abandoned suburban and get the steering column (has the 3rd gear), the wiper/washer motor and plumbing, the bezel if it has one, the fuel tank sitting off in the dirt that someone shot with a slug (hoping that the fuel pump is still good and can be used for a surge tank for the FiTech TBI I plan to install) and a few other odds and ends off of it(maybe it has a tank selector valve and connector?)...

Then off to my friend's house to make some sort of barter/cash deal for that 700r4 he says he'll let me have....

Thinking I might just pull the bed off of the truck as that will make it much easier to install the aux tank and plumbing for it.. Leaning towards making this a flatbed anyways, so maybe I'll yank it and get righto turning it into a trailer so that I have something to haul stuff in, while I'm fabbing up a flat/stake bed for it...

With the bed off, dealing with the tranny will be a lot easier too, at least the drive shaft part of it...

But everything I have done with the rewire works and works like new.. Nice bright headlights, turn indicators, parking lamps, etc.. Hazard, turn signals, dimmer, cab lights, back up lights, wipers, etc. all work like new..

I've got somewhere around 30 hours into all this in as far as actual work goes... But probably another 130 (or so it feels like) into it in tracking down parts, information, etc.. lol

But I now know this truck pretty much inside and out, every nook and cranny.. So there's that!

Old 03-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #66
R8rPhan

PS.. When I ordered the tail light assembly on the left side as part of my initial LMC order, I didn't realize the right side was damaged too, so I included that in a later rock auto order from them...

The rock auto tail light assembly was I think $18 and the LMC was I think $24..

The LMC was of noticeably better quality... The holes for the connectors on the rock auto where machined to precisely and as a result it took a lot of work to get them in and turn-locked into place.. The LMC ones fit perfectly and installing them was a breeze... The Rock Auto assembly came with a chrome trim but it wasn't crimped down around the sides.. as a result I had to do it by hand and it did not come out as nicely as the one from LMC, which came with it already crimped down...

Got the rock auto one to work, and you really can not tell the difference once everything is installed, but in hindsight, the $5-6 savings probably was not worth the trouble I had to go through to get it there....

So, I thought I'd share this little review in case it might come in handy for someone..

Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #67
R8rPhan

Got the other mirror too, so I can start trying to make my skeleton hands to mount them...
Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #68

74 Shortbed

74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough
Hey Mark, your part is at the PO..

63 Nova wagon
75 Nova Custom
Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #69
R8rPhan

Originally Posted by 74 Shortbed View Post
Hey Mark, your part is at the PO..
Yeah, I know.. They couldn't fit it in the parcel box and won't bother driving the extra half mile to deliver to the house.. Only the private sector mail will do that (UPS and FedEx)

So, I figured that might happen.. Gonna get a friend to drive me to the local PO to get it tomorrow unless I can somehow meet them at the mailbox.. But it will be raining, and hard to guess exactly when they will be there, so I don't know if that's doable, since I don't want to be standing out in the rain for an hour or two..

Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #70
R8rPhan

The digital gauge set just arrived..

Thursday looks to be the next day I can do any work on the truck, so I guess I have till then to continue polishing the scratches out of the lens, and modifying the existing gauge enclosure to accept the circuit boards......
Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #71

74 Shortbed

Originally Posted by R8rPhan View Post
Yeah, I know.. They couldn't fit it in the parcel box and won't bother driving the extra half mile to deliver to the house.. Only the private sector mail will do that (UPS and FedEx)

So, I figured that might happen.. Gonna get a friend to drive me to the local PO to get it tomorrow unless I can somehow meet them at the mailbox.. But it will be raining, and hard to guess exactly when they will be there, so I don't know if that's doable, since I don't want to be standing out in the rain for an hour or two..

I'm surprised they didn't leave a card in your box saying you need to pick it up at the PO..

63 Nova wagon
75 Nova Custom
Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #72
R8rPhan

I'm surprised they didn't leave a card in your box saying you need to pick it up at the PO..
They said they did, and I'm sure they did.. Haven't gone out there.. I know the routine.. But that doesn't mean I don't still have to catch a ride to go get it?

But if I can catch them in the morning at the PO before they leave, I might be able to set up a meeting. except for the rain.. I think I'll just catch a ride... Spending a few bucks on gas for a neighbor is better than standing out in the rain for an hour, two, or more.. Or worse yet, missing them altogether and then having to wait yet another day...

Can't work on the truck till Thursday anyways, as that is the next break in the rain.. Then it comes back Friday afternoon, and I think the next break after that is a week from tomorrow...

Can't wait till I'm complaining about the heat

Old 03-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #73

74 Shortbed

They said they did, and I'm sure they did.. Haven't gone out there.. I know the routine.. But that doesn't mean I don't still have to catch a ride to go get it?

But if I can catch them in the morning at the PO before they leave, I might be able to set up a meeting. except for the rain.. I think I'll just catch a ride... Spending a few bucks on gas for a neighbor is better than standing out in the rain for an hour, two, or more.. Or worse yet, missing them altogether and then having to wait yet another day...

Can't work on the truck till Thursday anyways, as that is the next break in the rain.. Then it comes back Friday afternoon, and I think the next break after that is a week from tomorrow...

Can't wait till I'm complaining about the heat

Yeah, I checked the tracking and it said they left a note, I sure wouldn't stand in no rain either, lol, definitely hitch a ride... I never ever complain about the heat..

63 Nova wagon
75 Nova Custom
Old 03-21-2017, 12:34 AM   #74
R8rPhan

Yeah, I checked the tracking and it said they left a note, I sure wouldn't stand in no rain either, lol, definitely hitch a ride... I never ever complain about the heat..
It gets damn hot here in the sun, because of the altitude it will fry you in a heartbeat, but unlike down in the valley where it gets just as hot as where you are (and that's hot for sure), and there is no escape, here all ya gotta do is find some shade and it's sooo nice... That same thin air that allows the sun to just fry you, also allows it to be like 15-20 degrees cooler in the shade..

I spent much of last summer out on the screened porch, sitting in my easy chair, wearing nothing but skivvies and flops (there's a vision fer ya.. lol), playing my flying V through this awesome little battery powered amp I have to whatever came up on the stereo (I have my whole CD collection on a flash drive and set it to random), drinking my homebrew, BBQing, watching the skeeters and wasps trying to get in, loving life.. I was in heaven..

Sometimes being alone has it's perks.. Well, pretty often actually.. No drama mama... No one telling me I can't sit out there every day like that... It's the little things..

Can't wait to resume what I started last year.. Shoulda screened that patio in long ago...

This winter's been a bear.. Freaking constant rain or snow.. Relentless..

Being on what amounts to house arrest for over four months now because of the lack of transpo has exacerbated it.. big time.. Cabin fever is a real thing.. lol

Another month or so... Almost here! Can't wait!

Last edited by R8rPhan; 03-21-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #75

74 Shortbed

It gets damn hot here in the sun, because of the altitude it will fry you in a heartbeat, but unlike down in the valley where it gets just as hot as where you are (and that's hot for sure), and there is no escape, here all ya gotta do is find some shade and it's sooo nice... That same thin air that allows the sun to just fry you, also allows it to be like 15-20 degrees cooler in the shade..

I spent much of last summer out on the screened porch, sitting in my easy chair, wearing nothing but skivvies and flops (there's a vision fer ya.. lol), playing my flying V through this awesome little battery powered amp I have to whatever came up on the stereo (I have my whole CD collection on a flash drive and set it to random), drinking my homebrew, BBQing, watching the skeeters and wasps trying to get in, loving life.. I was in heaven..

Sometimes being alone has it's perks.. Well, pretty often actually.. No drama mama... No one telling me I can't sit out there every day like that... It's the little things..

Can't wait to resume what I started last year.. Shoulda screened that patio in long ago...

This winter's been a bear.. Freaking constant rain or snow.. Relentless..

Being on what amounts to house arrest for over four months now because of the lack of transpo has exacerbated it.. big time.. Cabin fever is a real thing.. lol

Another month or so... Almost here! Can't wait!
I'm out in the sun any time I can, get a little warm I jump in the river, lol.. Nova should be done in a couple weeks or so then I can start back up on the truck(I'm only a year behind on that)and about 90% of that will have to be done outside.

63 Nova wagon
75 Nova Custom