Go Back   GM Square Body - 1973 - 1987 GM Truck Forum > General Discussion > Other Vehicles
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Advertisements

Other Vehicles Discuss makes and models other then the GM Square Bodies here.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #16

HotRodPC
Administrator

Name: HotRod

Year: 85
Model: Silverado K10 to K20 Conversion
Engine: 6.2 to Gas???

HotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond repute
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to HotRodPC
Originally Posted by rich weyand View Post

And it's stupid fast. I haven't found the bottom of the gas pedal yet. It's a little unnerving, because there are no sound effects with the acceleration. It just scoots -- quietly.
I love quiet and fast. It's like an element of surprise and so smooth.

You know one of Ford's better ideas, on the 4cyl EcoBoost Mustang.... to make it sound mean and like a V8, they have the stereo system make Vroom Vroom noises so you can hear it go fast in the cabin. Now isn't that some shit? Gotta have a Stereo system to make it SOUND fast. That's just pretty damn sad IMO.

84 Chevy Silverado C20 454/Turbo 400 14FF 3.73 Peg Legger -- http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286

85 Chevy Silverado K10 350/700R4/NP208 14FF/10B 4.10 w Lockers --http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279
HotRodPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:23 PM   #17

rich weyand

Name: Rich

Year: 1978
Model: K10
Engine: 350

rich weyand is a glorious beacon of lightrich weyand is a glorious beacon of lightrich weyand is a glorious beacon of lightrich weyand is a glorious beacon of lightrich weyand is a glorious beacon of lightrich weyand is a glorious beacon of light
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
One other note. There are 2WD and 4WD Sierras/Denalis. None are AWD. The Denali version 4WD does have an "Automatic" mode, in which it runs the transfer case in 4WD, and then electrically locks the front hubs if you spin the rears. You can also run it in 2WD, 4WD, 4LOW, and Neutral for dinghy towing behind a motor home. It warns against running 4WD or 4LOW on solid dry surfaces. G80 in the rear is standard on all of the Sierras and Yukons, I believe.

"Working Girl"
1978 K-10 RCSB DD
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #18

HotRodPC
Administrator

HotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodPC has a reputation beyond repute
One other note. There are 2WD and 4WD Sierras/Denalis. None are AWD. The Denali version 4WD does have an "Automatic" mode, in which it runs the transfer case in 4WD, and then electrically locks the front hubs if you spin the rears. You can also run it in 2WD, 4WD, 4LOW, and Neutral for dinghy towing behind a motor home. It warns against running 4WD or 4LOW on solid dry surfaces. G80 in the rear is standard on all of the Sierras and Yukons, I believe.
I like that much better. I almost bought a new Yukon Denali in 2002. What ran me off was that AWD. I didn't want AWD. Also why I didn't buy a Hummer H2. I wanted 4x4. I will CHOOSE what I want my Tcase to do, I didn't want the AWD to decide for me, not to mention all the wheel sensors and throttle pedal management applying brakes to certain wheels blah blah blah. In short, I want to drive my vehicle, not have it drive me.

84 Chevy Silverado C20 454/Turbo 400 14FF 3.73 Peg Legger -- http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286

85 Chevy Silverado K10 350/700R4/NP208 14FF/10B 4.10 w Lockers --http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279
Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #19

rich weyand

rich weyand is a glorious beacon of lightrich weyand is a glorious beacon of lightrich weyand is a glorious beacon of lightrich weyand is a glorious beacon of lightrich weyand is a glorious beacon of lightrich weyand is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HotRodPC View Post
I like that much better. I almost bought a new Yukon Denali in 2002. What ran me off was that AWD. I didn't want AWD. Also why I didn't buy a Hummer H2. I wanted 4x4. I will CHOOSE what I want my Tcase to do, I didn't want the AWD to decide for me, not to mention all the wheel sensors and throttle pedal management applying brakes to certain wheels blah blah blah. In short, I want to drive my vehicle, not have it drive me.
Well, it does have ABS, and traction control, and stability control, so the computer does mess around with the brakes to try to make it do what you are asking it to do -- stop, go, and go straight.

"Working Girl"
1978 K-10 RCSB DD
Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 AM   #20

HotRodPC
Administrator

Well, it does have ABS, and traction control, and stability control, so the computer does mess around with the brakes to try to make it do what you are asking it to do -- stop, go, and go straight.
That is true, but Traction Control can be turned off. I'm speaking more of when you're out wheeling, you have more control by choosing your drive options.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:25 AM   #21

rich weyand

That is true, but Traction Control can be turned off. I'm speaking more of when you're out wheeling, you have more control by choosing your drive options.
That's true.

As for off-roading, it has yaw and pitch displays (angles L-R, and F-R) that can be displayed on the instrument panel.

It also has a "steep hill descent" function that acts as a slow speed cruise control for going down hills. When turned on, it will maintain a speed between 5 and 20 miles per hour down a grade. Speed it up a bit with a little gas, it will now maintain that speed. Slow it down a bit with the brakes, it will now maintain that speed.

Finally, it has hill holder. When pointed up a grade, it will hold the brakes on for up to two seconds while you move your foot from the brakes to the gas, so you don't roll backwards.

The wheel base is so long, however, that it wouldn't be a good choice for someone whose main motivations included off-roading. Too easy to high-center it.

"Working Girl"
1978 K-10 RCSB DD
Old 04-25-2017, 05:24 AM   #22

HotRodPC
Administrator

That's true.

As for off-roading, it has yaw and pitch displays (angles L-R, and F-R) that can be displayed on the instrument panel.

It also has a "steep hill descent" function that acts as a slow speed cruise control for going down hills. When turned on, it will maintain a speed between 5 and 20 miles per hour down a grade. Speed it up a bit with a little gas, it will now maintain that speed. Slow it down a bit with the brakes, it will now maintain that speed.

Finally, it has hill holder. When pointed up a grade, it will hold the brakes on for up to two seconds while you move your foot from the brakes to the gas, so you don't roll backwards.

The wheel base is so long, however, that it wouldn't be a good choice for someone whose main motivations included off-roading. Too easy to high-center it.
Geez, Sounds like it'll even hold your pecker for you while you pee.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #23

Old77
Super Moderator

Name: Jacob

Year: 1977/1987
Model: C10 longbed/R20 Burb
Engine: 350/454

Old77 has a reputation beyond reputeOld77 has a reputation beyond reputeOld77 has a reputation beyond reputeOld77 has a reputation beyond reputeOld77 has a reputation beyond reputeOld77 has a reputation beyond reputeOld77 has a reputation beyond reputeOld77 has a reputation beyond reputeOld77 has a reputation beyond reputeOld77 has a reputation beyond reputeOld77 has a reputation beyond repute
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sounds like a super nice truck, rich! Sounds like it's about like driving around in your living room lol

**I hope you enjoy the randomly placed trees and poles in each of my pics **

Click for '77 Build Thread
Click for '87 Build Thread
Click for GMT800 Seat Mod Thread

Instagram: 07burb
Old77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #24

bucket
Super Moderator

Name: Andy

Year: '77, '79, '84, '88
Model: K5, K30, C10, K20 Burb
Engine: 350-454

bucket has a reputation beyond reputebucket has a reputation beyond reputebucket has a reputation beyond reputebucket has a reputation beyond reputebucket has a reputation beyond reputebucket has a reputation beyond reputebucket has a reputation beyond reputebucket has a reputation beyond reputebucket has a reputation beyond reputebucket has a reputation beyond reputebucket has a reputation beyond repute
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That nifty "hill hold" feature must be on all the trucks. A friend of mine has a 2014 Silverado with it. It's not a base model, but close to it.

'77 K5
'79 K30
'84/'78 C10
'88 Suburban
+ a car or two

"Faster horses, younger women, older whisky, more money"
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:41 AM   #25
68post

Name: Tim

Year: 1984
Model: K30
Engine: 454

68post is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Very nice Rich ! I love the blue (my fav), I like quiet/fast too. And you definitely have done the best on the tonneau cover 'n michelins.

That's the "Caddy" of trucks !!
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #26

rich weyand

Took the new truck on a 575-mile loop last Thursday: Bloomington, IN to Naperville, IL, to Champaign, IL, to Blooomington, IN. Mostly Interstate driving at 76-77 mph indicated (figure actual is one to two mph slower, per the construction site radars), with some local driving in each location. Total mileage: 20 miles per gallon.

Interesting things: The intake runners must be a foot long. The momentum of the air in the intake runner when the intake valve closes causes a pressure against the valve that aids filling the cylinder when the valve re-opens. When cruising, it often switches seamlessly into V4 mode. It has direct injection, so it simply shuts off the gas to four cylinders. What this does is double the total air required for a given horsepower (because half is being thrown away in the un-fueled cylinders). Doubling the air required means the throttle plate has to be open much further, reducing intake manifold vacuum and increasing the density of the charge into the cylinders. It also doubles the speed of the air in the intake runners, which increases the air pressure on the intake vales when they open, from the increased momentum of the faster air in the runners.

They really played all the tricks on this thing.

"Working Girl"
1978 K-10 RCSB DD
Old 04-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #27

HotRodPC
Administrator

Can't complain about 20 mpg whatsoever for that much truck. Might even do a hair better after it's broke in real good? So it's Displacement on Demand (DOD) truck. I didn't even realize it would have that.

I had a gf that bought a Grand Prix GXP with the aluminum 5.3 V8 in it, it had DOD but they called it something else back then. It probably would have done better on mpg if I could keep my foot out of it, but feeling that torque I just didn't have the discipline to stay out of it. The DOD once on the freeway seemed to be fairly flawless and you didn't even realize you were running on 4 cylinders. Touch the gas, it was seemless back to all 8 and gone.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #28

rich weyand

Can't complain about 20 mpg whatsoever for that much truck. Might even do a hair better after it's broke in real good? So it's Displacement on Demand (DOD) truck. I didn't even realize it would have that.

I had a gf that bought a Grand Prix GXP with the aluminum 5.3 V8 in it, it had DOD but they called it something else back then. It probably would have done better on mpg if I could keep my foot out of it, but feeling that torque I just didn't have the discipline to stay out of it. The DOD once on the freeway seemed to be fairly flawless and you didn't even realize you were running on 4 cylinders. Touch the gas, it was seemless back to all 8 and gone.
Yup. One big killer of gas mileage on the highway is that the throttle plate is almost closed, so vacuum is high, and stack velocity in the runners is down. DOD solves those issues.

And unless you have the display on, you wouldn't know.

I suspect it's noisier in V4, because the DOD has active noise cancellation built into the stereo. Quietest cabin of any vehicle I have ever driven.

"Working Girl"
1978 K-10 RCSB DD